Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Mourne Mountain Marathon (MMM) 15-16TH SEPT 2012  (Read 67004 times)

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Mourne Mountain Marathon (MMM) 15-16TH SEPT 2012
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012 »

I can't quite get my head around how people reduce their pack weights so much.  Although I suspect some of it is too much for me, is that a Laser Comp 1 for 2 racers?

Yes, Laser Comp 1 for 2 people...although it is classed as a 1+/1.5 man tent. We just left the inner door down and I stuck my feet out a bit to give us more room, it's just a bit tighter when zipped. An option for broader folk may be to bivvy in the big porch. They're a really good tent. You can both sit with feet in porch, door quite sheltered to cook, and space to store/sort mountain marathon type gear. Certainly if you are bigger, have lots of stuff, or like more personal space they may not suit.

Small pack weights are basically: light... pack, sleeping bag, stove, mat, waterproofs; and leave out as much of everything else as possible. Most people I talked to had about 1.5kg food. I was already fairly light: here's my list of everything taken...note how much I could save again with some changes!
Do you see anything missing from that list that you would really need for an overnight competitive event?

It can be done, and really changes the way you approach the mountains. I'd encourage everyone to give it a go  :)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

madmickie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012 »

Good list Craig.

We wrap pocket rocket in kitchen roll. On day2 it's wrapped in day1 sock!

We skipped foil this year and used map to shelter stove, need to be careful with that.

Sleeping tablet instead of iPod, worked a treat. We slept from 10 thru to 4. Best mmm sleep ever. No bad effects d2.

Neo air mats exp but light and worth it.

OMM 25L should be loads of room for you. Has everything u need.

Food wise, we share large Mtn house meal, crunchie, custard n nutrigrain, then porridge in morning. Dunno weight but maybe 1kg between us. We use porridge pots as cups n bowls then bin em. M&s plastic cutlery

Always trying to save weight but it starts to get silly expensive n major compromise on comforts. Not worth it for us C-ers.
We got down to 10 kg

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2012 »

Ha ha - now I see where the 'mad' comes from mickie ... you share one of those tiny big Mtn house meals  ;D
The map windshield is a bit of a risk, and as for wrapping anything in day1 socks...it would need a jet flame to sterilize it: I really must try those ankle gaiters  ;D

I do have a neo-air but it's a full length version. Very comfy, but at 400g too luxurious for a race. I'll allow myself the air pillow, but would rather have a balloon bed and 300g more food I think... hmm, you've given me an idea for a blog post: most reasonable value, ultra-light MM kit. I've been looking at what to put my winnings towards and considering a few options.

Sleeping tablet...never thought of that. I've never used them. Might need a controlled test first - would be no good to miss the day2 start, ha!  5kg each is very good. Thanks for adding your tips here - we can point everyone to this thread next year when we're trying to persuade them all to enter.
Craig
-----------------------

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2012 »

Ha ha - now I see where the 'mad' comes from mickie ... you share one of those tiny big Mtn house meals  ;D
The map windshield is a bit of a risk, and as for wrapping anything in day1 socks...it would need a jet flame to sterilize it: I really must try those ankle gaiters  ;D

I do have a neo-air but it's a full length version. Very comfy, but at 400g too luxurious for a race. I'll allow myself the air pillow, but would rather have a balloon bed and 300g more food I think... hmm, you've given me an idea for a blog post: most reasonable value, ultra-light MM kit. I've been looking at what to put my winnings towards and considering a few options.

Sleeping tablet...never thought of that. I've never used them. Might need a controlled test first - would be no good to miss the day2 start, ha!  5kg each is very good. Thanks for adding your tips here - we can point everyone to this thread next year when we're trying to persuade them all to enter.

swap you your full length neo-air for a short.
No one goes inside to clear their head

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2012 »

swap you your full length neo-air for a short.

No way! Outside of adventure race scenarios it's the business  :)
Craig
-----------------------

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2012 »

Yes yes I know that I'm a wee bit late but just wanted to well done to all who did the race, your all bonkers lol !  ;D
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2012 »

thought i'd share this with all you weight saving folk out there,bigE bought one the other day,hopefully he'll have it on the camp this weekend

http://www.balloonbed.com/

pretty cool idea

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2012 »

Is there a camp on this weekend ?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC