Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-WILD MOURNES WILD CAMP: August 08, 2009
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: NI-Wild Weekend Camp - 8th August 09  (Read 32776 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: NI-Wild Weekend Camp - 8th August 09
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009 »

same on the comfort issue mate. I've tried a hammock once or twice and found it very uncomfortable to sleep in all night i was just asuming that either my hammock is pants or I just cant put 'em up. The old pro action is looking at me longingly from the corner!

I'm curious to see the pro-action in err, action. I really want one but if I buy another tent the wife might leave me :D

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009 »

I'll be bringing my wee gelert 1-man tent too and just trying the hammock for sitting/lying on.

Also got son and his mate coming.....two big strong teenagers to get the firewood gathered. So that's help with the fuel for the campfire sorted out........ ;D

Alan.

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009 »

Tarp arrived today from DD Hammocks yipee.

XL version so 4.5x3 meters.

Can't wait to try it out now.  ;D

Pro Action tent is still coming though, just in case kids or wife don't like the open air too much.

Hound. ::)

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009 »

Ach i'm sorry i'll miss this weekend, especially since i've still not tried out my hammock yet, but i'm car camping at kilbroney.

I might get a chance to nip over and see you, but i'll definately not be able to stay the night. :'(

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009 »

;D How do you do that, ??? do you need guy ropes for the car?  Does it sit on a ground sheet.

Seriously though shame you can't stay, but it would be nice to meet you.

Hound.

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009 »

Seriously though this Wild Camping is getting to be an expensive idea, even her indoors is starting to complain about the cost.

The original camping idea was great we have most of the kit, even if it is big bulky and heavy, just bung it in the car and away we go.

Have done that and the boys enjoyed it greatly, now this wild malarky is something different altogether and costly. Hope it all works and she who must be obeyed enjoys it otherwise I'll never live it down.

Hound.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009 »

Hound, its probably the cost of all the luxury items that make for a more comfortable night however you definitly want to make sure the boss sleeps well or else it will be curtains for any future trips.

Are you saying you are all for hammocking if so I hope we're not the only ones on the ground like lonely pints :-\

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009 »

Seriously though this Wild Camping is getting to be an expensive idea, even her indoors is starting to complain about the cost.

The original camping idea was great we have most of the kit, even if it is big bulky and heavy, just bung it in the car and away we go.

Have done that and the boys enjoyed it greatly, now this wild malarky is something different altogether and costly. Hope it all works and she who must be obeyed enjoys it otherwise I'll never live it down.

Hound.

It's well expensive to get kitted out but I keep reminding myself that once I have the basic gear I'll not need that much more (yeah right ;))

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
ARRANGING FINAL DETAILS
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009 »

With it only being 2 days away I think we need to start getting the finer organisational details sorted. Where and when to meet, a final list of who's coming and to swap mobile numbers.

Probably the best bet is for everyone coming to PM me their mobile number, real names and number of people in their party. If anyone who was undecided can't come if could they let me know too. Then I'll send everyone my number so people can keep in touch on Sat morning for last minute cancellations etc.

At the minute the best bet seems to be to all meet by the toilets in Donard Car Park at 11am Sat morning.

As ever, any better suggestions below and obviously it's not too late to add your name to the list if you want to come too!

Can I also just say again that we're leave no trace campers so can everyone please not bring anything up that they don't intend to bring back. (I know I probably didn't need to even mention that but I thought I should anyway)
Also when we were up last week the place was pretty messy and I think we should give some consideration to having a bit of a general tidy round before we come back down.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 by jonno »

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009 »

Hound Are you saying you are all for hammocking if so I hope we're not the only ones on the ground like lonely pints :-\

No we have no hammocks yet, the go lightlies we be firmly on the ground under our new tarp, or secured up nicely in our tent.

Have spied out a couple of likely spots for tents or tarps (no trees poles required) whilst Jono has viewed the tree/hammock/tarp situation.

Should be great fun no matter what way you hope to sleep.

Hound.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009 »

sounds like its going to be a good nights craic!!

gutted i cant make it, but hopefully this is start a a regular occurence

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009 »

whats the plan for all day then? should I be planning on packing anything special?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009 »

whats the plan for all day then? should I be planning on packing anything special?

Good question. I just was planning for a bit of a relaxing natter round the fire since most of us haven't met yet. There will also probably be no shortage of tinkering required to get shelters up and hammocks hung. The Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association chaps might try and get over for a couple of hours and if they do then they might show us some fun stuff to do.

At the minute our count sits at 13 staying over with a few others possibly coming to visit.

Basically I'm game for anything anyone wants to suggest!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009 »

sounds good, we can regail each other with our tales of adventure! looking forward to hearing the gullie traverse story!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009 »

sounds good, we can regail each other with our tales of adventure! looking forward to hearing the gullie traverse story!

I thought you were there?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]