Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-WILD MOURNES WILD CAMP: August 08, 2009
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: NI-Wild Weekend Camp - 8th August 09  (Read 32562 times)

Hound of Ulster

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
Re: NI-Wild Weekend Camp - 8th August 09
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009 »

So Jono,s for wild camping in his hammock, how is everyone else camping?

I fancy getting some self inflate mats and bivi bags, but the expense for 4 peeps is off putting. I know it would be useful in future.
option 2 is to get all my part to split the tent down and carry it up, not the worst case scenario, but not the lightest either.

Any suggestions or recomendations.

Hound :-\

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009 »

So Jono,s for wild camping in his hammock, how is everyone else camping?

I fancy getting some self inflate mats and bivi bags, but the expense for 4 peeps is off putting. I know it would be useful in future.
option 2 is to get all my part to split the tent down and carry it up, not the worst case scenario, but not the lightest either.

Any suggestions or recomendations.

Hound :-\

I got one of these:
http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Gelert/Xpedition+Self+Inflating+Mattress/220/pc

It's a Gelert self inflating mat @ £25 is 50cm wide and weighs about 1kg. I've seen it for as low as £20. I have a Vango one as well but I can't remember the price but it was good too. I'm a huge fan of Alpkit - they do a range called the Airic (http://www.alpkit.com/airic/). They're more expensive at £27ish for a full length one but they do free delivery.

If you're stumped for carrying gear I could come back down with you and do a 2nd run.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009 »

I'll bring my big bag and you can wack some stuff in there no sweat.
I was planning on jst laying on the ground, bivvy bag, sleeping bag, roll mat style (although i do have a hammock which I may bring if someone would be kind enough to show me how to use it!)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009 »

I'll bring my big bag and you can wack some stuff in there no sweat.
I was planning on jst laying on the ground, bivvy bag, sleeping bag, roll mat style (although i do have a hammock which I may bring if someone would be kind enough to show me how to use it!)

I'm bringing a hammock and I think Belfastman is too. I was relying on Celt_ginger to give a bit of advice but looks like we'll have to suss it out ourselves as he can't make it.. How hard can it be (famous last words :D). I'll be bringing an Alpkit bivi bag incase the hammocking goes horribly wrong. I'm also bringing a large tarp (12x18) for us to sit under but it could be rejigged into a sleeping shelter if needed.

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009 »

Yes, I'll bring my hammock too as I haven't tried it yet. but gonna sleep in the wee one-man tent.

I have also fitted my hammock with a coupla large carribiners at the ends to make it easier to sling it up.

I've got loads of 8mm paracord if anyone needs any. Let me know and I'll bring enough along to help us out.

Just a thought....but could this turn out to be a learning weekend on hammocking??

Alan.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009 »

Yes, I'll bring my hammock too as I haven't tried it yet. but gonna sleep in the wee one-man tent.

I have also fitted my hammock with a coupla large carribiners at the ends to make it easier to sling it up.

I've got loads of 8mm paracord if anyone needs any. Let me know and I'll bring enough along to help us out.

Just a thought....but could this turn out to be a learning weekend on hammocking??

Alan.

Would be great if it was what with several heads being better than one!

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009 »

My wife and I shared a hammock once.

She said to me, "If this thing rolls over will we fall out?"

I replied......"No Honey. I'd still love you"......... :D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009 »

My wife and I shared a hammock once.

She said to me, "If this thing rolls over will we fall out?"

I replied......"No Honey. I'd still love you"......... :D

Arf!

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009 »

I use this excellent website for anyone who is interested.

http://tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

Alan

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009 »

I would love to come along to this but alas I cannot. After a spot of camping on rathlin last weekend i now have a new flame of love that needs fanned a bit ;D !!  That and it is armoy road races this weekend so everyone up here is blocked in due to the lack of A44!!

Have a good one though, i look forward to reading the blog!
Fun is not a straight line

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009 »

It would appear its 'Hammock weekend' although not for me and the wee guy we are going to have a bash at this much talked about Pro Action Hike Lite Tent.

I've really been looking at reducing the amount of kit carried and although my son usually carries some of his own stuff, as most on this forum know when taking young ones away for any length of trip we usually end up shouldering everything and for weight and pack size I couldn't resist having a go at an argos special. ;D

For this trip so far I've managed to reduce weight by 3.5kg............... as they say every little helps.

I will of course be having a look a the hammock situation as I'm sure the wee man will ask "Dad why don't we have those don't they look really cool ? "

Just how he would fare open to the elements as such without the feeling of security within a tent I don't know.

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009 »

Yes the hammock idea sounds great, but as Jono knows, I'm supersized and although I can get a hammock that would do me, just, I haven't as yet. Will watch with intrepidation and help out if I can.

Been out today purchasing some stuff for use over the weekend and tarp ordered and dispatched from D&D so it shall be a learning weekend alright. ???

Looking forward to lying out under a tarp, but will bring the tent just in case.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009 »

If it's dry tomorrow evening I'll do a picture tutorial on putting up a hammok.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009 »

I had a quick hammock setup in the garden last night. Didn't to be dependant on it only to find I was missing bits or it was flawed.

[smg id=75]

[smg id=76]

I used car roofrack straps with karabiners attached to the webbing which worked quite well (I hope the straps will hold!). All in it was fairly successful - here are some of my thoughts:

1) The self inflating mat fitted okay but it was hard to get it positioned properly beneath me.
2) It was well complex to get into the sleeping bag when it was in the hammock. I had to leap around alot to get it positioned correctly which made the hammock swing wildly. I thought I was going to fall out a few times :D
3) Not sure how comfy it will be. I felt the hammock wrapped around me quite a bit. It was fine for 10 mins in the garden but I'm not sure how it will be for an entire night
4) You can use the hammock with the mozzie netting on top if you need it or underneath if you don't. I think with the netting it might be even more constrictive.

All things considered I'm definitely bringing it this weekend for some experimentation.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009 »

same on the comfort issue mate. I've tried a hammock once or twice and found it very uncomfortable to sleep in all night i was just asuming that either my hammock is pants or I just cant put 'em up. The old pro action is looking at me longingly from the corner!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]