Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-Wild Camping Trip: January 23, 2010 - January 24, 2010
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip  (Read 67371 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Camping Trip
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010 »

sweet. Shall we just go for that then? Half join 666pack on the horseshoe route and the others go with jonno on his, meetin up at donard forest for fun and games.

Sounds like a plan - Me and SuspectM could come from Meelmore and you chaps can come the hard way :)
Would it be feasible to get all the way from Carrick Little to Donard Wood in a day?

No bother to us mate......I just hope you have a good fire lit and able to carry me to my tent.
 ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010 »

sweet. Shall we just go for that then? Half join 666pack on the horseshoe route and the others go with jonno on his, meetin up at donard forest for fun and games.

Sounds like a plan - Me and SuspectM could come from Meelmore and you chaps can come the hard way :)
Would it be feasible to get all the way from Carrick Little to Donard Wood in a day?

No bother to us mate......I just hope you have a good fire lit and able to carry me to my tent.
 ;D

I'll bring some matches and a trolley :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 by J »

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010 »

For anyone that's interested here is my packing list for the weekend, a screen shot from Word seemed a better idea than typing out a long list.
I'll be trying to stick to this, but no doubt some extras will creep in, not that I need them, a look at the excel doc makes the skin out weight at 14Kilos and that's with a conservative guess at the tripod weight, ouch!
*edit, forgot to mention a wee drink of some description, how could I forget that!

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010 »

Does it make sense to drop off cars at one place and vice versa - then both groups have drivers who are walking towards their cars. At the end the drivers who aren't with their cars get dropped back to where they started. Could be difficult to organise mind.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2010 »

Does it make sense to drop off cars at one place and vice versa - then both groups have drivers who are walking towards their cars. At the end the drivers who aren't with their cars get dropped back to where they started. Could be difficult to organise mind.

Depends on whether the ones coming over from Annalong intend to finish the horseshoe on Sunday and end up back at Carrick Little or just come back to Meemlore. If so maybe the best thing would be to all meet at Meelmore where there is secure parking and for one of the Meelmore walkers to drop the others over to Carrick Little. That way no-one would have to gamble on leaving their car there. If the Annalong walkers are heading back for Carrick Little then I suppose they need a car there anyway. Unfortunately at this point I'll have the hairdressers car with no room for passengers so I'm of little use.

Which route is everyone doing? At the minute me and Suspectmonkey+1 and possibly Spark are doing Meelmore.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010 »

because of logistics of the whole thing and the less than secure nature of carrick little car park Chris and andy(my lift  home) are leaving there cars at meelmore and I have organised a lift to pick them up and drop us at the start point. This means that we will also be finishing at meelmore lodge.

The route has changed slightly for us..

Starting at Carrick little aprox 930
Binnian
Lamagan
Cove
Beg
Then Once at the saddle there is then the option to summit donard an navigate down of using the top of the valley toward the black stair Or do the same form the commedagh side of the valley or simply head down the glen river trail to the camp spot.

Either way should be a great in the hills

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2010 »

because of logistics of the whole thing and the less than secure nature of carrick little car park Chris and andy(my lift  home) are leaving there cars at meelmore and I have organised a lift to pick them up and drop us at the start point. This means that we will also be finishing at meelmore lodge.

Binnian
Lamagan
Cove
Beg
Then Once at the saddle there is then the option to summit donard an navigate down of using the top of the valley toward the black stair Or do the same form the commedagh side of the valley or simply head down the glen river trail to the camp spot.

Sounds like a plan. So best thing is if we all try and meet at Meelmore at 9am?

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2010 »

Wish I could make this but can't.  Hope you all have a good time and have one round the campfire for me.
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010 »

Binnian
Lamagan
Cove
Beg

Sounds like a plan. So best thing is if we all try and meet at Meelmore at 9am?

Yeah sounds good mate.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010 »

Meelmore for 9.00 should be doable. Coming off the summit of Commedagh or Donard sounds interesting, would be up for that!
Looks like my friend Jenny and her dag Archie are gonna join us for Saturdays walk, but Jen doesn't fancy camping in January so is gonna head off from there on Saturday evening.

As far as I can make out the list of peoples walking and their route is as follows:
Meelmore to Donard Park
Jonno
Supstemonkey + Katherine   

Carrick Little to Donard Park
666_pack
billy backpack
chris_8764
Ulsterwalker + Jen and her dog

Kirth, Simon, Spark, anyone else? Can you join us and what route/place/time should we expect you at?

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010 »

I would love to join you guys on the Sunday but to be totally honest being new to this, don't think my fitness would be up to it and would just slow you down.  I have planned to head up to the mournes on Sunday from Cecil newman car park at trassey and walk up to the mourne wall.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010 »

I would love to join you guys on the Sunday but to be totally honest being new to this, don't think my fitness would be up to it and would just slow you down.  I have planned to head up to the mournes on Sunday from Cecil newman car park at trassey and walk up to the mourne wall.

Theres always a chance you could meet us coming the other way. If we swap mobile numbers we could keep you posted.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010 »

the walk from donard car park to the camp is reaklly straight forward mate and is quite stunning might be an area to get a few good snaps. And as jonno said a few of could meet you half way But it's up to you really.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010 »

Alrighty, had a look at the other kit lists so think I've got mine sorted.  Anything I've forgotten or (c/s)hould take out?

Rucksack:
Tent
Sleeping bag
Self-inflating mat
Stove/meths burner/fuel
Fire steel
Pot & mug
Spork
2 litre bladder
Head torch
Map & compass
Survival bag (doubles as dry bag)
First aid kit
Toilet kit
Food

Spare clothes:
Baselayer top & bottoms
Fleece
Buff, hat and gloves
Socks
Waterproof trousers

Clothes to wear:
Baselayer top
Microfleece
Hard-shell jacket
Walking trousers
Socks
Boots

How do you fellas normally pack your tent etc.?  I'm using a borrowed 65 litre pack as I haven't got one of my own just yet.  Was planning on getting the sleeping bag into the pack, along with the tent.  Then was going to use the compression straps on the outside of the pack to lash down my sleeping mat in a dry bag.  I reckon my sleeping bag would probably go horizontally across the very bottom of the pack, but the tent is too wide for that.  Would probably need to go vertically up the centre of the pack, so the tent and sleeping bag would form an inverted T in my pack with the rest of my kit packed on either side of it.  Sound logical enough, or should I split the poles and pegs and try to get the tent wrapped up smaller?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010 »

All sounds spot on to my untrained eye. I always put the sleeping mat on the outside and the sleeping bag inside in the very bottom (in a bin liner). Not sure about the tent. Mine packs small so there's no need to split it. I think as long as the bag is reasonably balanced then theres no probs. Plus with a 65L you should have bags of room to spare...

Obviously you've forgotten a fireside tipple though - it's the single most important item when camping  ::)

What's everyone bringing food wise? Think i'm just going to go wth Pasta'n'sauce with bacon bits or suchlike with cereal for breakfast and lots of nibbles. No more wet food for me - dehydrated all the way!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]