Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wild country Zephyros 1 v Robens starlight 1  (Read 19229 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!

Guys i think its time i invested in a wee one man tent instead of lugging my large two man about when i'm on my own.

Has anyone any experience with these tents your views and thoughts would be a great help. At the moment i am swayed towards the starlight its a tad heavier by about 3/4 of a kilo but its the bath tub design groundsheet that's doing it for me as we all know our wee country isn't the driest place on the planet ;D ;D  it also seams to have a bit more ventilation which will be good as condensation can be a problem with the smaller tents.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Re: Wild country Zephyros 1 v Robens starlight 1
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016 »

I have no experience with the Robens, but have a Zephyros and have nothing but good things to say about it.  Probably the best testament I can give it was a wet and windy night by the Miner's Hole River.  Snug as a bug, never moved, and had a great night's kip.  Others in what could be considered better tents didn't have quite the same good nights kip.  I've never had any issues with venting nor a damp bottom in the morning, but I'm a fairly sedate kinda camper!

I don't think you will disappointed either way but I would shove a thumbs up to the WC model
Do not feed the bear

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016 »

I've been using the Zephyros 1 for a while now, as you know, and I can't fault it. It's a bomb-proof little tent and has kept me safe and dry in all sorts of weather and packs down beautifully. The next time we're out for a camp we can swap tents over for the night so you can try it out and see if it suits you. I would suggest if you're going for a one man tent then go for the lighter option, that extra 750g on the Starlight is half the weight again of the Zephyros, and you know you could use that extra weight for other things. I always bring a cheap, tough tarp from poundland and stick it under the tent and have had no problems with water getting in or indeed any condensation.

Another option for you could be the Zephyros 2, gives you a bit more room and is only 1.79 kg, still lighter than the Starlight and packs down smaller: http://goo.gl/QpbMCX
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016 by specimanYak »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016 »

I've never even heard of the Robens brand. Are they new to the UK?

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016 »

I've never even heard of the Robens brand. Are they new to the UK?
I'm not sure mate its the first I've seen them but apparently they've been around from 1973 :)

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016 »

Thanks for the offer specimanYak, I'm trying to find out how much smaller the inner is compared to the outer I can only find the overall length of the outer 220cm how much smaller would you reckon it would be? It looks to be a good bit shorter in any photos I can see.

Thanks Glenn

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016 »

I'm not too sure about the inner length size Glenn, i'm 5'9 and have enough room at the head of the tent to store stuff, and enough height to sit up in. I'll measure it when we're out on Friday and get back to you.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016 »

I'm not too sure about the inner length size Glenn, i'm 5'9 and have enough room at the head of the tent to store stuff, and enough height to sit up in. I'll measure it when we're out on Friday and get back to you.

Dead on mate cheers at 6'1 I might have to shrink a bit ;D

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016 »

This Vaude Hogan UL Argon seems to be a generous internal space, 80cm up to 105cm wide compared to the Zephyros which is 64cm.  At 220cm length it seems to comparable to many of the one man tents.  It's a good weight at 1600g.

It's a bit dearer than a Zephyros though.

There is also a 2 person Vaude Hogan Ultralight which is 1800g and a good bit cheaper.  It's got a bit of a bathtub floor on it too.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016 »

I have the Vaude Hogan Ultralight and it's a fantastic tent. Truthfully, the way it pitches looks a bit suspect but I've used t in some poor conditions (as did SuspectMonkey before he sold it to me) and it's always been 100% reliable. Squeeze for 2 but a bit of rolling around room for one. No porch but that's to be expected with an ultralight tent. I did used to have a Zephyros and didn't like it so I got rid of it but truthfully, I didn't give it much of a chance.

This Vaude Hogan UL Argon seems to be a generous internal space, 80cm up to 105cm wide compared to the Zephyros which is 64cm.  At 220cm length it seems to comparable to many of the one man tents.  It's a good weight at 1600g.

It's a bit dearer than a Zephyros though.

There is also a 2 person Vaude Hogan Ultralight which is 1800g and a good bit cheaper.  It's got a bit of a bathtub floor on it too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016 by RedLeader »

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016 »

Aarrrggggghhhhhhhhh too many tents to choose from this is worse than buying a car  :o

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016 »

If in doubt, buy them all  ;) works for me  ::)
think outside, no box required

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016 »

A nice new starlight 1 is winging it's way to me, the bath tub ground sheet was the deal clincher for me and at just under my £100 budget made it the winner. It's a wee touch heavier so I guess I'll just have to bring one less beer

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016 »

I'll be interested to see it in action. Never know when you might need a new tent ';)

A nice new starlight 1 is winging it's way to me, the bath tub ground sheet was the deal clincher for me and at just under my £100 budget made it the winner. It's a wee touch heavier so I guess I'll just have to bring one less beer

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016 »

MAX 174km/h AVG 162km/h
Robens Wind Test: The determination of the performance of a Robens tent in wind is based on the knowledge and technique available to Robens at the time of testing. During the test we register the maximum (MAX) speed impact a tent was subjected and the average (AVG) wind speed at which structural instability occurred. This may appear as a broken/deformed pole, or the collapse of the tent and subsequent return to shape when the wind drops. At no point was any form of catastrophic failure experienced up to the maximum wind speed.

Saw that on the Robens site.  There's no stopping you now Glenn, maybe that is what swung it for you ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]