Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• The Mourne Wall Walk: September 01, 2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Mourne Wall Walk is back! - Sun 1st Sept 2013  (Read 21258 times)

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Re: The Mourne Wall Walk is back! - Sun 1st Sept 2013
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013 »

This is looking good for tomorrow. The wife is feeling fine, no sign of a baby coming 2 weeks early, so im allowed to go ;D the weather looks mostly ok, only a chance of a couple of showers mid afternoon. If all goes ok I will be leaving carricklittle car park around 6am. If anyone sees a bald man with a collie and a lab struggling round the wall, make sure to say hi!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013 »

Well i've signed up for this and will be starting in approx 8 hrs, i'm starting to realise what a big undertaking it is! weather looking good though, decided not to pack too light and i'll actually bring all the essential gear just in case. Now I just have to resist the temptation to run the downhills and keep a steady walking pace, otherwise i know i'll tire myself out too quickly, i even stayed off the beer tonight  :o  must go to bed soon.
think outside, no box required

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013 »

Hope you are going well at this stage Liam. No sign of this baby coming so far, I could have been there doing it too >:(

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013 »

Another challenge and another fail  :(  all due to lack of preparation. I suffered a lot from cramps in the legs so pulled out about half way (where a friend just happened to have left his car  ;D ) I was surprised I even made it that far as I was suffering from the first mountain, Binnion is VERY steep when going the Wee Binnian way. Started at 0820, I just made it to checkpoint 1 at cutoff time (1030), fell near Rocky (on a flat path!) and both lower legs cramped badly suddenly and from then on I was watching every step carefully making sure I didn't overstretch. Had planned to avoid Donard and take a route to Hares gap via Brandy Pad but met some friends just before Donard so persevered and did Donard anyway, it was a struggle but managed it, then decided to struggle up Commedagh as well and follow the wall all the way to Hares Gap (Checkpoint 3). But now the upper legs where cramping on the downhills. CP3 achieved at 1400 (cutoff was 1430). Sat for 20 mins and it was like lying on a silk bed, just bliss. Then down the trassey track to the get take car back. Will post some pics later.

A big thank you to all the nice people at Life (Marty, John, Shamara, Peter, Michael, Sheamus, Simon, Ian and the other guy) who arranged the event and supplied us with lots of goodies for reaching the finish, probably more than we were entitled to due to our diversion  8)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013 »

Was it going anti-clockwise?

I thought the traditional way was to do it clockwise, up Binnian first from Carrick Little and then onwards from there. I've done the walk twice and both times were in that direction - would actually be very interesting to go around anti-clockwise.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013 »

yes anti-clockwise, starting at silent valley

sore legs today as expected, and was hoping to do the mill hill mile race tomorrow evening (you know that big steep hill into Castlewellan  :o )

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013 »

Great attempt Liam, it's quite an ask, congrats for giving it a whirl!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013 »

yes anti-clockwise, starting at silent valley

sore legs today as expected, and was hoping to do the mill hill mile race tomorrow evening (you know that big steep hill into Castlewellan  :o )

Cheers, must give it a go anti-clockwise but will probably be next year at this stage. Don't be too disappointed with not getting around, you will find that you've learned a lot from the attempt. A failed attempt spurred me on to build up fitness for a second attempt and I've done it now on a couple of occasions. It's a really great challenge, wonder what the winning time was?

Posted this on here before but it's an account of my first successful round of the wall

http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/the-classic-walks-of-ireland-the-struggle-to-tame-the-mourne-wall/

Done it again last year in 9:27. Had hoped to do it this year but got into hill running big time so didn't get a chance. Will do the anti-clockwise route next year and travel as lightly as possible.

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013 »

I have done it twice, first time clockwise, second time anti-clockwise, I found clockwise much easier and a good hour quicker, I thought anti-clockwise may have been easier as it took Donard, Commedagh and Bearnagh out of the equation early, but they seemed to sap all our energy, had hoped to do it again this year but never got time and was injured for quite a few months, will definitely be back next year though, good on you for giving a go. ;D
If You Risk Nothing You Gain Nothing!

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013 »

I have done it twice, first time clockwise, second time anti-clockwise, I found clockwise much easier and a good hour quicker, I thought anti-clockwise may have been easier as it took Donard, Commedagh and Bearnagh out of the equation early, but they seemed to sap all our energy, had hoped to do it again this year but never got time and was injured for quite a few months, will definitely be back next year though, good on you for giving a go. ;D

I did it a couple of weeks ago clockwise and a guy I met running told me that I was doing it the easy way. From what you say he might have been right.  It would be interesting to do it again soon while I am still fairly fit and see what the difference would be anti clockwise. I was happy with my time of 9.36, I wouldn't like to think it would take an hour longer.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
The Mourne Wall Walk is back! - Sun 1st Sept 2013
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013 »

Well done Liam!! I'm proud of you lol

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013 »

Well done Liam.
The Mourne Wall Walk is a challenge to be sure. Binnian Boy is right, doing binnian first does kind of zap you a bit, but either way round it's a big tough walk.

We didn't prepare for it and just dived in headfirst as usual, we learned a few lessons. Firstly, start early, or you'll lose hours walking in the dark - and secondly do a training plan and prepare. Those are the two things we learned, but I'm still glad we did it.

Well done for getting out there and getting stuck in mate
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013 »

Did Bearnagh and Meelmore today, by the end of the week I might actually complete it  ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013 »

Well after 5 days, 4 hrs and 45 mins i did it all  ;D  took 3 trips but got there today and best of all not feeling any pain (but it was still very tough!)

having a well earned rest  ;D

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013 »

Good work Liam, that made me laugh :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]