Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: need a really good pair of gloves - any recommendations?  (Read 23966 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

After a day out in the hills with sleet showers today i reckon i'll have to splash out on a good pair of gloves, something waterproof and usuable with ropes, leather faced? warmth isn't a big issue, as i can always throw a larger pair over them if needed. £30 budget on these, but might go higher if it was really justified, but reluctant too as gloves are one of those so easily lost items  :'(

so what do you all have and what do you think of them?

think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising

Ok i did put these up for you to see,but i've bought two pairs so far,including postage 10.21,thanks ebay

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising

three pairs of gloves 12 quid
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/70169151@N05/6455419837/][/url]
DSCN9197 by shannaghan, on Flickr

DSCN9198 by shannaghan, on Flickr

DSCN9196 by shannaghan, on Flickr

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!

Hi Liam, ive a couple of pairs that work really well for me.

The Extremities Velo glove, nice glove thats warm and doesnt take up too much room in the rucksack, dry out easily when they get wet, these would go everywhere with me.

The other pair is the mountain equipment guide glove, i got these for sking in austria and after a weeks hard use handling ski poles and general wear and tear they are still as good as new, yeah they are £40 but well worth the money and man are they warm, bring on the snow!
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

thanks john but a lot of those gloves look bulky, i want to be able to tie/untie ropes with them on, waterproofness is the issue, my hands don't get that cold as long as they stay dry (my toes are my achilles heel in the cold weather)  i'm looking at something from the sealskin range at the moment

NI Survival School

• Newbie Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk

I have a couple of pairs from the sealskin range. i have a pair which are like skiing gloves and i have these www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-ultra-grip-gloves/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=sealskinz%20ultra%20grip%20gloves&utm_campaign=sealskinz

They say they give great dexterity but sorry they do not. They are cold unless u wear liners in them. They are waterproof however.

Northern Ireland Survival School

"Teaching yesterday skills today!"

Email: nisurvivalschool@gmail.com
Tel: 07415223392

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

these are the ones i've been pondering over: Sealskinz All Season Glove

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/sealskinz-all-season-glove/fuseaction/products.detail/code/1C310401/id_colour/124/group/5146/level/3

With a supple and durable goat skin all leather palm, this fully waterproof glove is simple, comfortable and dexterous. Ideal for the great outdoors, the All Season Gove from Sealskinz is versatile enough to be worn at any time of the year.

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus

I've got mixed report about sealskinz - some people love them, but I've heard of multiple people whose gloves started to leak. As always with things like this it is difficult to know why they are leaking; care/cleaning, accidental puncture, poor quality control - all are possible. I have a pair of sealskinz socks, but I've never needed to wear them!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

what size did you get? i have wee girly hands so not keen on buying online, rather try them on in the shop and never that near a millets  :(

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
Re: need a really good pair of gloves - any recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011 »

Hey liam i have those gloves too. Used them when doing my ML rope work and they were grand.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011 »

You could always try a trick I used back in my motorbike days... surgical gloves underneath glove of your choice.  Saves you splashing out extra for waterproof gloves :)

I got a pair of Outdoor Designs gloves last year that I'm really happy with.  They are the Taku Stretch glove and although they aren't waterproof they are windproof and close fitting.  The close fit means I can easily operate my camera and phone with them on, so you'd have no issues with rope work.  If you take a look Outdoor Designs might have an waterproof equivalent of the same glove...

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011 »

I had a quick look around and asked a few people for suggestions the other day. The suggestions were all coming out at more than £30 (more like £50), but they were coming from people who frequently do rope work. The only alternative that I came across that was in budget was the Outdoor Design Summit 3-in-1. Waterproof and warm outer with a thin liner for when extra dexterity is needed - price £27. Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but maybe worth a look.

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011 »

got a pair of those mountain (make) gloves out of cotswold yesterday. was actually in for gaiters. flippin expensive, but used them last night out walking the dog and they are warm. Leather palm and finger ends. Got a strap on them for when you take them off you just let them hang like a child.

hate getting gloves, my fingers never reach the ends. The wrist strap lets them like kids gloves which is good because fingers are to short..........

worst part is i think i bought womens gloves and they still dont fit.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011 »

thanks for all the help, i'm still not sure, what shop has the best range of gloves as i'll have to go and try a few on, definitely can't be a thick glove as i have to be able to use a camera with them, unless they slide off quick and easy (then those straps would be handy) i'll be in belfast tomorrow so hopefully will get a look around the shops
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]