Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tick Bite Prevention Week (26 March – 1 April)  (Read 21263 times)

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
Re: Tick Bite Prevention Week (26 March – 1 April)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012 »

[/quote]

.  Unfortunately it's mostly just a case of staying vigilant, if you find one, remove it as soon as you can and keep an eye on the location of the bite to make sure it doesn't develop the bullseye rash associated with lymes disease.  And ultimately, after removing about your 100th tick the squeamishness goes away :-)
[/quote]

Only 30% of people who become infected with Lyme end up with the Bulls eye rash. You can also get a rash on any part of your body, not just where you were bitten. If you do then photograph it, as they can fade and move. Also it shows you Dr proof you had a rash. Other signs that you could be infected are feeling like you have the flu, this can happen up to 6 weeks after being bitten. Also you may feel extreme tiredness, and your body aching... If you get bitten by a tick, we advise that you keep the tick...not as a pet cause they would be very boring to watch ;D but inbetween two bits of cellotape, take a note of the date as I said it can take up the 6 weeks for any symptoms to show. If you do have any concerns of symptoms go to your GP and take the tick, as this proves you have been bitten. Without it the Dr may think you have a virus, and most people wouldn't think to mention a tick bite weeks ago. If you catch Lyme early it is very easily treated.

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012 »

I'll always remember my first encounter with ticks, our group all ended up like Chimpanzee's grooming each other. We were not shy with each other after that as we had them in some pretty hard to reach places.  :-[ ???
[/quote]

Oh they do love those dark warm places!! ::) my son has had a few on his nether regions, not really the place a 15 year old wants his mum checking.... :-\ It is best to help each other check as the younger ticks are so tiny. Favourite places are, belly button, groin, behind the knee, around your waist, around your sock like, behind the ear and in the nape of your neck.

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012 »

One of the first things I do is check the mutt for ticks. Usually will have one, once they have fed for a while are much easier to find.

We have 5 gundogs and checking for ticks is a nightmare when they are young and not fed. They are easily missed. Do you use any repellents on them?

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012 »

Thanks for the replies scottishquine. I actually ordered the o'tom tool as myself and one of the other guys here are heading to Scotland in May and that's the last place I got bitten by ticks.

Glad you will have your tool ready, there is a raised oval ring near the top of the handle of each of them. If you have a dremmel drill you could drill through that bit and then attach them too our key ring....saves loosing them.  ;)

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012 »

One of the first things I do is check the mutt for ticks. Usually will have one, once they have fed for a while are much easier to find.

We have 5 gundogs and checking for ticks is a nightmare when they are young and not fed. They are easily missed. Do you use any repellents on them?

It's a springer so I have to let her run, as you know its what they do. I honestly just have a good look by going through the fur, but unless thay have fed for a day or so, or rather until the backend has swollen, they are hard to find. I dont want to spray her with anything. I find them, I remove them.

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012 »

It's a springer so I have to let her run, as you know its what they do. I honestly just have a good look by going through the fur, but unless thay have fed for a day or so, or rather until the backend has swollen, they are hard to find. I dont want to spray her with anything. I find them, I remove them.

Springers sure do need to run!  :) As you say it is so difficult to spot the young ones until they have fed....You can use natural repellents on them here is a link to the correct page. We use Flea or Die Shampoo on our dogs and it does help. The problem can be that there is no "one size fits all repellent" I so wish there was....... ::)

http://www.bada-uk.org/products/pet_products.php

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012 »

Springers sure do need to run!  :) As you say it is so difficult to spot the young ones until they have fed....You can use natural repellents on them here is a link to the correct page. We use Flea or Die Shampoo on our dogs and it does help. The problem can be that there is no "one size fits all repellent" I so wish there was....... ::)

Thanks for the link. Might give it a go. She had a lump removed around chest about 6 weeks back, could have been an infected bite, but vet said young dogs get the odd lump, which in this case was nothing nasty.

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012 »

Thanks for the link. Might give it a go. She had a lump removed around chest about 6 weeks back, could have been an infected bite, but vet said young dogs get the odd lump, which in this case was nothing nasty.

Would be great if you let us know if you do use them, please let us know how it works. As I said one of my dogs gets lumps after tick bites...so hopefully that was what your dog had...hope she is ok after then op.... ;)

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012 »

We sell them cheaper in bigger amounts, some people buy them for organisations.....if we could we would give them away....but were a self funded chairty.....Were you wanting to buy some?

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012 »

Tick remover group buy?
http://www.bada-uk.org/products/tick_products.php

I'm 100% for tick awareness. But we bought these in work and everyone of us changed back to using tweezers after trying them for a while.

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012 »

Tick remover group buy?
http://www.bada-uk.org/products/tick_products.php

I'm 100% for tick awareness. But we bought these in work and everyone of us changed back to using tweezers after trying them for a while.

That is rather strange as I know they work brilliantly....I use them on our dogs and family, one show last year myself and my husband removed ticks from over 30 people with them too......they are much much easier and safer to use....what did you find so difficult to use about them?? What kind of tweezers do you use?

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012 »

That is rather strange as I know they work brilliantly....I use them on our dogs and family, one show last year myself and my husband removed ticks from over 30 people with them too......they are much much easier and safer to use....what did you find so difficult to use about them?? What kind of tweezers do you use?

I'm sure they'd work fantastically if the tick had been on a while. I can definitely see an advantage of them for using on dogs.  But we are all hyper vigilant cause we get so many, so we are trying to remove them nearly immediately and we found they were just too small for the tick twister, we would have had to leave them attached for a few hours to be at a good size for the tick twister to work.  So all just back to using normal tweezers.

Where were you that you managed to find 30 people with ticks attached? Sounds like a nasty show!

And hi and welcome to the forum :-)

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012 »

It was at the Bushcraft Show in Cumbria, on the side of Lake Windemere....it was a glorious weekend and a load of eggs hatched...one wee girl had 27 ticks removed from her......I know the young ones can be fidley to remove is you go in from the opposite side that usually does the trick....you really should only use very very fine nosed tweezers, with them being so small you don't want to squeeze the body, as it will regurgitate....sorry not meaning to sound like a know it all, just have seen the damage caused by Lyme Disease. Where is it you work, that you guys come across them so much?

scottishquine

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012 »

Well guys Tick Bite Prevention Week starts on Monday.......lets hope we have a great week...... ;D ;D

http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]