Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Myths of the Mournes  (Read 18876 times)

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Myths of the Mournes
« on: September 15, 2011 »

Hey guys!

Many years back there was a small book produced, not sure by whom, called (I think - I do apologise, I was only as nipper...) Myths and Legends of the Mountains of Mourne...dont suppose anyone out there has a copy that I could even photocopy?  Or a similar sort of book on the same topic?  I lead a small boys brigade group and they love hearing silly stories of the different hills as we walk through them; gives them a wee bit of excitment on the quieter routes

Many thanks in advance

Hud
Do not feed the bear

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Myths of the Mournes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 »

I collect books on the Mournes and i hadn't heard of that one, must go add it to my ebay search list  :)
think outside, no box required

Paul72

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011 »

I don't have that book but you might want to take a look at this page with links, there might be something there to help you.

http://www.magic-of-mourne.co.uk/info.htm

"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011 »

Thanks Paul

Liam - one of the mountain leaders I had when I was a nipper had it in his rucker...well thumbed, battered and bruised....never EVER seen it since but I remember it keeping me wide eyed at that age...I check Flea-bay every now and again but havent seen it  :(

Anyhoo - the more stories the better so if anyone else has links etc like Paul I'd be very grateful

Hud
Do not feed the bear

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011 »

Oh... Now you've caught my interest.  If you ever find this book let us all know.

There are so many Myths and Folklore that I hadn't given a second thought about till you started this thread and now I'm hooked on the idea of finding out more.  I can feel a book coming on  :D

My chapters would read something like this:

Newcastle
The name of the town derives from a castle (demolished in the 19th century) built by Felix Magennis in the late 16th century which stood at the mouth of the Shimna River.

Widows Row
On 13 January 1843, boats from Newcastle and Annalong set out for the usual fishing stations, and were caught in a gale. 14 boats were lost in the heavy seas including a boat which had gone to the rescue. Only two boats survived, the Victoria and the Brothers.[4] 76 men perished, 46 of whom were from Newcastle. They left twenty seven widows, one hundred and eighteen children, and twenty one dependents. A Public Subscription was raised and the cottages, known as Widows Row, were built for the widows and dependants. A local song about the disaster says "Newcastle town is one long street entirely stripped of men"

The Blue Lady
A woman abandoned by her husband who's ghost still haunts the mountains.

Maggie's Leap
Named after a local girl called Maggie, who leapt over the impressive chasm to her death while fleeing soldiers with a basket of eggs.

The Brandy Pad
A popular spot in the mountains is named so because of the illegal brandy smuggling that took place through the area.

Bogey Hill
Just above the harbour at the Southern end of the town, which is named after the carts that carried Mourne granite from the quarry on Thomas Mountain down to the harbour.

The Bloody Bridge
Although the name evokes images of battles fought on this site, it is not known from where exactly this beautiful yet wild coastal area derived its poignant name, although the 1641 rebellion is often thought to be the impetus.

Saint Patrick's Stream
This river in the Mourne Mountains was the site where Saint Patrick banished the snakes from Ireland. and that in his first landings to Ireland he visited the Mournes and even converted the local hill folk to Christianity. The small stream is said to mark the boundary of the Kingdom of Mourne and legend has it that there is a rock in the stream with his hand print in it where he knelt down to drink the water.

There's also Hare's Gap, Windy Gap and Pigeon Rock etc etc but I would have to do a bit more research on those lol

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011 »

I believe that the Paddy Dillon book "Mourne Walks" has some info about places and names. I can't find my copy but when I do I'll put up some references.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011 »

Well this is one that I got told (and remembered!) it is online so I didnt make it up (someone else did lol!)

During the building of the St. John the Evangelist church on the Kilcoo road in Ballymaghery, a bull, with devil red eyes, angry at the building of the wall surrounding the church came down each night and tossed the wall destroying it.  The local priest staked a stick in the ground behind where the wall was being built and the bull never came back to annoy the building again.  The stick now is the largest fairy thorn bush in Ulster...

Any more whimsies like these out there??!

Do not feed the bear

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011 »

The Was told this story about The Bloody Bridge.

The bloody bridge derived its name from a horse race that went badly wrong. Horses and riders galloped into the void and onto the rocks below when the lead horse passed the wrong side of the parapet. See article 'Round Rostrevor' in Downpatrick Recorder of 22nd August 1874; laterly also 'Where Donard Guards' page 69, 'How the Bloody Bridge really earned its name'. It is more than time that this poisonous bit of ancient sectarian propaganda was laid to rest (ie. the bodies thrown over the bridge into the river which thus ran red). Roll on TCD's project of putting the depositions about 1641 online by 2010 for us all to read. On a happier note it is indeed a fabulous place to walk.

I like this one.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011 »

Ive read that! Its a lovely wee bedtime read  :) I got it from the library, but ive also seen it in Tescos Newcastle..  £7.99 if i remember correctly. Enjoy, its lovely. i read about each mountain before a hike..  even though id done it before it made it more interesting and exciting (i think i need to do more socializing  ::))

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011 »

PS... you will find it in Tescos with the maps (normally located at the back door.)

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011 »

Nice one AnnieAnne...must look it up next time I'm down....
Do not feed the bear

beau

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011 »

The book i think you need Hud is,leagendary stories of the carlingford lough district by micheal g crawford 1924.was republished again 1964,called myths and legends of carlingfordlough its all about the mournes it names every hill,lough,valley and the legend behind it,not to be read on a nite camp in the mournes to spooky lol.The author was from warrenpoint noticed blue plack on house ,had a copy but lost was really great read really brought out the magic in the mournes.think my local newsagent still has it amongest tourist books,will look see

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011 »

Beau....truly a legend among mortals!
If your local newsagent please let me know and I will either run down or collect and reimburse you - whichever works! 
Fantastic find Beau - thank you so much!!!
 ;D ;D ;D
Do not feed the bear

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011 »

Looks like the MG Crawford book was republished in 1996, managed to reserve a copy at the library, check the pic for SELB numbers:

Here's a short ghost story about Warrenpoint by MG Crawford:
http://goo.gl/GCJ2Y

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011 »

SpecimanYak - I found it on ni-libraries too....hoping to pick it up in Belfast; quick query on the wee pic you attached - is it available to buy per what I saw there?
Do not feed the bear
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]