Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• National Park Week: July 25, 2011 - July 31, 2011

Author Topic: National Park Week  (Read 3241 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
National Park Week
« on: July 25, 2011 »

This week is National Park Week, but before you get too excited and run out to celebrate most of us will probably be aware that Northern Ireland doesn't actually have a National Park.  Fear not, however, as I've tried my best to pull together some info to discuss what a National Park is, who looks after it and what progress has been made towards creating a first National Park for Northern Ireland.  Lots more info on the blog:

http://www.jonpatterson.co.uk/2011/national-park-northern-ireland/

This week is annual National Park Week, running from Monday 25th to Sunday 31st July.  To celebrate there are many events organised across UK National Parks, with everything from family fun days to easy guided strolls and strenuous ranger-led walks.  There are currently 15 National Parks in the UK, including iconic names such as the Lake District in England, the Cairngorms in Scotland and Snowdonia in Wales.  Noticeably absent, however, is Northern Ireland.  Read more...

Samm

• Top Poster
Re: National Park Week
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011 »

Good article. You'll get no argument from me on the need for a National Park here. However one thing we do have (and I may be wrong, but I think we were the first in the UK to have one) is an UNESCO Global Geopark. Based around the Marble Arch caves but covering the Marlbank region, Cuilcagh and down into Cavan. They do really good work there. It doesn't get rid of the need for National Parks, but it is a note of optimism!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: National Park Week
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011 »

However one thing we do have (and I may be wrong, but I think we were the first in the UK to have one) is an UNESCO Global Geopark. Based around the Marble Arch caves but covering the Marlbank region, Cuilcagh and down into Cavan.

That's a good point, and it's definitely a Geopark to be proud of!  According to their website they are also the first international Geopark, with the area crossing the border between Fermanagh and Cavan.  I can't help but think that perhaps the area under-sells its status as a Geopark.  A friend of mine from England is very interested in geology and when she was visiting here she told me she had never even heard of Marble Arch.  To me it is an area that should be prized every bit as much as the Giants Causeway... just because most of it is hidden underground makes it no less spectacular.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]