Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stove  (Read 13529 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Stove
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010 »

True, I have a Jetboil and it is extremely fast, if a little unversatile.

lol i know... so many options.. although it does seem to come down to gas vs meths.

i have used meths a long long time ago and do remember it being very slow.. but then so is gas when u use it outside in the wind!! :-\

Not with the jet boil...!

pinki

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010 »

Trangia, now and probably always. Easy and simple, just be careful of the nearly invisible flame. Reduce the weight and bulk of a system and buy just the stove, use a double thickness tinfoil windbreak.

What I want to try is take a pot/kettle to boil water, and use this to only boil water, and used the hot water to add to dried food in ziplock bags and place in a special cosie. Lightweight and minimalist, but with practice before an expedition it could provide good grub on the go.

My first night camping with a friend was 20 something years ago, along side the Spinkwee river behind Tollymore. I had a poor tent and a camping gaz blue stove. During the night it lashed down and we were lucky not to be swamped, but we could not get the gas cooker working. The little nozzle had become blocked and we did not have a pricker to clear it. We walked home eating cold baked beans with chunks of bread in great spirits after our adventure.

I did use gas after that but did not like it as it was bulky and in those days the cannisters were not always resealable, so the unit could not be broken down without wasting your gas. I used hexi which was pretty good: compact and hot, but could be difficult to light, had toxic fumes (if I remember right) and made a right mess of your pots.

I hope my ramblings are of use or enjoyment.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010 »

I have the trangia and honey stove but still have to really put honey stove through its paces

Snap.  I just didnt want to mention the Honey Stove earlier as it would give an even bigger list of diverse options :D

I've used my Honey Stove a few times now, most recently at the Donard Wood camp.  I really like it, although to be honest I've used it more often with the Trangia burner than as a wood burning stove.  It makes a great Trangia stove though, and is great for saving space seeing it packs flat.  Love how you can use it 4-sided as well for even lower weight. 
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]