Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Back Pack / Day Sack  (Read 41925 times)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Back Pack / Day Sack
« on: January 10, 2010 »

Just wondering what you guys would use as a back pack for a day walk? Looking into getting one, but there is so many.

Also is there a must have list of items to put in it?

Cheers
Kirth

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Back Pack / Day Sack
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010 »

If it's just for day walks then any decent backback will be fine. Just try a few on and see how they feel. I use a Berghaus Freeflow for days out but it can be a pain to pack because of the airflow system.

As for what to put in it everyone has their own ideas. I usually just carry either a flask or cooking system, drinks, waterproofs, fleece, chocolate/snacks and probably a bivi bag and first aid kit for emergencies.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010 »

Karrimore sabre 45 ltr. You can attach additional 10 ltr pockets to either side taking it up to 65 ltr capicity if needed (good for winter camp outs) I would also often use a canvas day sack when going into the woods. It's a better pack around a fire as sparks won't melt a hole in it.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010 »

I ordered this from America a month of so ago. It's a great wee pack and if you turn it inside out it doubles as a compression sack. It's a flash 18 form REI

http://www.rei.com/product/778466

Stuff for a day in the hills for me would be waterproofs, pot, stove packed inside the pot, small fuel bottle which fits inside a cup, two packets of super noodles, 2 sachets of instant coffee borrowed from ikea, small tube of condensed milk, a camel back, small first aid kit and thats prob me. I am bound to have left something out!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 by matthewrblack »

Paul

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010 »

for a day out, i have a big green coat which has really really deep pockets!!! Only joking, i have a sabre45 like CG its the only rucksack i have. For carrying just a few things i just take off the side pouches and tighten the straps at the side this compresses it well.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010 »

all packs are pretty much the same, How many different ways can you make something to hold things! Its down to personal pref more than anything. A few tips would be If you find that your prone to sweating while walking or carrying a pack look at air flow system ones. They wont stop you sweating but it'll help a bit. Try it on in the shop, try and get at least well padded straps if not hip belt aswell. and side pouches for easy access to water bottle are a must (for me anyway!). If you going to be taking your camera a large padded lid pocket might be an advantage for easy access and you can get designated camera bag rucksacks that are designed for cameras first and other things second, might be worth a look.. other than that its pretty much up to yourself.

Things I take for a day in the hills, sigg bottle for water, lunch box with some sarnies, a bannana, chocolate bar and usually something like ribenna, A pack of jelly babies water proof coat, hat, gloves, camera.

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010 »

I bought this, got it for 49 quid:-

http://www.johnlewis.com/56100/Style.aspx

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010 »

looks good mate, TNF make a good product so I'm sure you'll not be disapointed, and for 49quid you cant go wrong!

Paul

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010 »

all packs are pretty much the same, How many different ways can you make something to hold things! Its down to personal pref more than anything. A few tips would be If you find that your prone to sweating while walking or carrying a pack look at air flow system ones. They wont stop you sweating but it'll help a bit. Try it on in the shop, try and get at least well padded straps if not hip belt aswell. and side pouches for easy access to water bottle are a must (for me anyway!). If you going to be taking your camera a large padded lid pocket might be an advantage for easy access and you can get designated camera bag rucksacks that are designed for cameras first and other things second, might be worth a look.. other than that its pretty much up to yourself.

Things I take for a day in the hills, sigg bottle for water, lunch box with some sarnies, a bannana, chocolate bar and usually something like ribenna, A pack of jelly babies water proof coat, hat, gloves, camera.

And depending what the weather is like maybe even a set of snow shoes or skis ehh Chris? LOL

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010 »

your not wrong paul! we cudda done with them on the way up the hill, we actually had to crawl bits of it because we were sinking waist deep into the snow!

Paul

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010 »

That sounds class, pity i missed it. I look forward to seeing the picts mate!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010 »

That TNF 30 litre sack is 1590g  :o it needs to go on a diet! Good price though!

The most important thing for me is accessing things that I need on the go without having to take the pack off. For this reason I like a pack to have hip pockets (once you've had them you'll be forever looking for them), and side pockets for water bottles or hat and gloves. I usually have an OMM chest pouch on as well within which I keep my DSLR. Between these I can carry my map compass food camera torch batteries, pretty much anything I need on the go.

A day out on the hills = small daysack + 500ml water + (sarnies+crisps+choco bar) + (map+compass) + (down vest+sweat-tex jacket+hat+gloves) + camera

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010 »

your not wrong paul! we cudda done with them on the way up the hill, we actually had to crawl bits of it because we were sinking waist deep into the snow!

or a team of huskies ;D

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010 »

I ordered this from America a month of so ago. It's a great wee pack and if you turn it inside out it doubles as a compression sack. It's a flash 18 form REI

http://www.rei.com/product/778466

Stuff for a day in the hills for me would be waterproofs, pot, stove packed inside the pot, small fuel bottle which fits inside a cup, two packets of super noodles, 2 sachets of instant coffee borrowed from ikea, small tube of condensed milk, a camel back, small first aid kit and thats prob me. I am bound to have left something out!

I was looking at something like that from alpkit. Look quite handy

Product summary
Features
Pouch for hydration unit (450mm long by 200mm wide bladder)
Roll-top waterproof closure
Removeable padded back
Taped waterproof seams
Duraflex buckle and toggle closure
Twin mesh side pocket (will fit std cycle water bottle and smaller Siggs)
Elasticated accessory cord

Specification
Material: Taslan TPU nylon
Volume: 20 Litres
Diameter: 21cm
Height: (rolled and secured) 48cm
Weight Total: 620g
Back Pad: 90g
Minimum Weight: 530g

£18

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16379&category_id=293
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]