Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pro Action Hike Lite 1 Person Tent  (Read 35910 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Pro Action Hike Lite 1 Person Tent
« on: July 07, 2009 »

Was having a flick through a magazine in easons as you do! and article caught my eye. Basically some guy had coast to coasted it across scotland and used an extremley cheap tent from argos called the "tiger paws". This tent has now after a couple of years been re released and renamed (Pro Action Hike Lite 1 Person Tent, not quite as cool a name as the tiger paw!) Anything I've read online and in mags cant seem to praise this little tent enough comparing them to terra nova etc and whats even better is their only 25 quid in argos!
I'm gonna treat myself to one tonight I'll take a few pics etc and let you know what my first impressions are.

Here's a link to the argos website
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext%3ETENTS.htm#tab3

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Pro Action Hike Lite 1 Person Tent
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009 »

jst bought one and stuck it up in the garden and I must say i'm very impressed. It has a small pack size and is light with aluminium poles. I think if a I store the poles outside the bag I could use the compresion straps to acheive an even smaller pack size. The tent itself is roomy enough for 1 and a rucksack if yours doesnt fit in the porch. Some reviews say two could fit in it but they'd have to be VERY close friends! the materials and manufacturing quality seem fine, the fly sheet uses buckles to secure to the ground sheet and adjust tension. All in all I think £25 is amazing value for what seems like a very good tent and from what i've read i'm not wrong. I'm in the mood for camping now!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 »

Hi Chris,
I was looking at this myself. As A tarp and bivvi kind of guy I was interested in the pack size  and quality of this tent as I want to get some overnights in the inner Mournes do you think this little guy would be up for the challange?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009 »

I got the Vango Banshee 300 which is essentially the same tent but bigger. I've not used it much but it seems solid. Only thing to watch for is a lack of headroom, no porch and can't pitch as one. That said, for £25 you can't go wrong as long as it keeps you dry!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009 »

I think this would be ideal, I havn't had a proper camp in it as yet just pitched it in the garden and I could see no probs with head room. I could sit up comfortably in it no probs dressing inside etc. dont get me wrong its not a palace but its not tiny.
Other than that any reviews I've read say there are no leakage condensation etc probs associated with this tent all in all it seems Pro Action have made a bomb proof tent that can compete with the best!

Jono dont know if you've seen the review but a very simple conversion can be carried out on the porch flap with the the spare guy line and a walking pole to fashion a tarp like area for storage, cooking etc. I might try this at some stage depending on how wild i'm feeling!

The only down sight i can see it you might not like the colour but personally I love it, Reminds me of my dads old force 10!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 »

If you have a look over at the outdoorsmagic forum, they champion this tent every time it comes out on sale. My friend bought one and used it for the couple nights he joined me on the ulster way. It isn't the greatest finished tent and you can see that by better specifecation that the tent could be a lot better and possibly lighter, but for the £25 its going for in the sale it is a bargain, and a lot of tent for the money. I don't see why it wouldn't take the morunes in its stride, as long as its tail is pointed into the wind, especially seeing as it is pretty much a clone in design of other good tents, i.e the MSR Zoid which I previously owned.

A review of the tent, plus a lot of other interesting stuff can be found on Richards blog:
http://maceachain.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-07-13T21%3A47%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009 »

I took one of these to rathlin last weekend.  Seemed to tolerate the strong winds there ok and will still up when I got back to it.  I found it easy to put and and a good height to kneel in and get changed in.  Bargin for £25.

I kinda thought i would be handy to throw in the kayak.  It packs down smaller than my sleeping bag!!

Still miss my big vango though however this is a good choice for not being able to carry so much, I'm only ickle and i had no car last weekend so big tents were definately out!!
Fun is not a straight line

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009 »

Having seen this tent in action I really wish I had got one while the were on offer >:(

Great bit of kit and a crackin price.....maybe next time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009 »

Having seen this tent in action I really wish I had got one while the were on offer >:(

Great bit of kit and a crackin price.....maybe next time.

Argos still have them:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

I really want one but the wife would full on kill me if I come home with more gear and I already want a Travel Tap
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009 by jonno »

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009 »

more gear Jonno! I think an intervention is needed you may have a problem. :D

I'll have to get to Argos.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009 »

This tent is now £17.99 now thats a bloody bargain! gonna go get one of these badboys will be perfect for stowing in the stern of my kayak for an overnighter
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009 »

just got 1 from local argos, 18 quid, absolute bargain

Mouldsy

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009 »

I really want one but the wife would full on kill me if I come home with more gear and I already want a Travel Tap
[/quote]

Buy one and let the missus kick you out for a couple of nights to let her cool, then you get the tent and get to try it out at the same time without her phoning you every five minutes and asking when you are coming home. ::) :D :D

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009 »

Surely its worth a chance at £17.99, I know I have spent more than that on fast food take aways

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009 »

It is the same weight as the hilleberg soulo which costs £410, can it be put up in 3 mins 40 sec,s like the hilleberg ?  i might buy up just to bliz it with everything to see how long it last as its only £18  ;D
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]