Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Sleeping bag advice  (Read 2268 times)

greensprite

• Newbie Poster
  • Have camped once with NI wild
Sleeping bag advice
« on: April 12, 2012 »

Hello everyone,
I slept in the tent in the garden with the kids last night as a practice as we're hoping to go further afield at the weekend.  With a picnic blanket on the ground sheet and sim mats I was still cold in my sleeping bag. I also had a fleecy blanket on top.  So methinks its time to invest in a sleeping bag.  I thought the Vango square might be a good option.  Should I go for 250, 350 or 450?  I was hoping to camp a bit in spring but mostly in summer maybe early Autumn.
My 2 yr old kept wriggling out of his sleeping bag so was thinking of getting him a vango nitestar junior or midi.  I like the idea of the camping pods but they seem to get poor reviews. ???
The sky was amazing last night really clear and star studded so I'm getting excited about camping now but I do like to be cosy.

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Re: Sleeping bag advice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012 »

I will try to avoid bombarding you with a million questions, however, getting the right bag is important, very important!!!  Is it definately only summer you will use it in?  If so 2 season will be fine, if your straying into Spring and Autumn, and you like to be cosy, a 3 season will be needed IMHO. 

Are you gonna be car camping or hiking and camping?  If the first, weight and pack size not an issue but if the latter you will need to take that into consideration too.

I'm not a huge fan of spending huge money (austerity measures have hit the Hud's household significantly of late   :'( ) but unfortunately you do tend to get what you pay for - and to have a poor night's sleep will put you off camping forever.  A good bag is critical to enjoying any sort of camping.  Crap sleep = crap camping

I am actually in the market for a good, small and warm 3 season bag (but cant afford one) and have heard good things about the Rab Genesis 3 - and can be picked up for about 90 quid.  Alpkit's stuff also comes highly recommended (but is twice the price) as does Mountain Hardware's Lamina range.

Anyhoo, I am sure someone else can advise better than little old me!

Do not feed the bear

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]