Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: sleeping bag  (Read 2556 times)

wee gaz

• Top Poster
sleeping bag
« on: November 16, 2011 »

snugpac softie 3 autumn £75. is this a good enough bag for our winters  for a few trips to the mournes.cant afford any more than this but maybe at a secret squeeze (shuuuush). any advice pros or cons,cheers

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011 »

It should be ok for anything other than frozen weather. I know it says comfort to -5, but it also says extreme -10 which is suspiciously close. I think they are counting on their reflectatherm lining to give some more degrees of comfort... but I have their jungle bag with this lining and comfort is not the word I would use when it is near the limit. Yes, it reflects your radiant heat back to your core, but the outside of you is still cold from conducting through the bag. I find I both sweat and shiver at the same time and would say it is overrated by about 4-5degrees.

So, in a word, it will probably be okay to about 0. If you can go a bit more, look at a Mountain Hardware Lamina 35 - it will be about the same but more consistent feel, enough room to add layers, and pack smaller and lighter.

Chuck and Dowser are both using the veritable Tesco Mummy sleeping bag, wearing extra layers or using two of them when it's cold. Much cheaper! Sometimes there are offers on Vango ultralights about too.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Eamonn

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
Re: sleeping bag
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011 »

Hey Wee Gaz, I have the autumn softie and it’s a great bag especially the extension baffle that gives the bag more room inside, which is great for the summer and warmer nights. I’ve used the bag bivving and hammocking during the summer with the top of the bag always loose and never felt cold even when it was really windy.

I’m going to be camping in the Mournes around the 2nd of December and this should be a good test for the bag. I’ll be in a tent and have my silk liner with me, just in case. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

You can get the winter bag for an extra fiver on Amazon.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]