Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Walkie Talkies for mountain use.  (Read 43223 times)

ChuckMcB

Walkie Talkies for mountain use.
« on: June 11, 2010 »

Anyone ever looked at the above?

I've been thinking about them for a while for use in the mountains, no sure exactly why/when...just toying with the idea..

The stuff I'm reading covers the entire range of possibility:

1) Cheapy ones work fine
2) All cheapy ones are crap unless you have direct line of sight
3) Digital ones are better than analogue for range
4) All the ones legally used in the UK (is less than 5kw) are crap
5) Hi powered (ie. non-UK legal) ones from eBay are much better
6) Keep away from hi-powered ones, they will flood mountain rescue frequencies.

Anyone had any experience?

Money always talks so my options so far:
Motorola TLKR T3 Two Way Radio Twin Pack £18 pair
Binatone Terrain 550 Long Range Radio with Travel Pack £42.76 pair
NO! ;)

Update: We have a winner: Binatone Action 950 2 pack 4 Pack
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Walkie Talkies for mountain use.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010 »

Dowser was discussing the possibility just today. The Binatone ones reviewed well.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010 »

The dora one s look the ticket ::)
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010 »

Dowser was discussing the possibility just today.
Let me know how the discussion proceeds...I'm fighting the urge just to buy the Binatone one from Argos on the way home tonight....

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010 »

I'm certainly not going to stop you  ::)

Dowser was discussing the possibility just today.
Let me know how the discussion proceeds...I'm fighting the urge just to buy the Binatone one from Argos on the way home tonight....

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010 »

I was just about to start a new topic on this when I noticed Chuck beat me to it.  I've just reserved a set of Binatone Action 950 Two-Ways in Argos and was gonna collect them tonight, if I got a bit of positive feedback here.  Fathers Days coming up... Timing couldn't be better.  These ones seem to have a better range (10K rather than 8K) than the Binatone Terrain 550.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=5531062

I'm hoping to get these for the Iplod Marshalling this weekend and was gonna give one to Jonno's pair just so we can keep in touch.  My main reason for buying them is to give one to the kids when we are camping so that they can go off playing and I can have a bit of Peace of Mind, by being able to check in on them now and again.  They should never be more than 1km away so the range should be more than ample. 

If I thought I could get even 5-6km over Terrain I'd be well happy.

Anybody ever used these things in the mountains?
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010 »

Thats a brilliant idea for the kids.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010 »

I've used them while climbing on longer multi pitches, when its windy etc. saves having to shout and confusing rope signals! they worked allright then although I did pick up some conversation at one point but not sure where from.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010 »

I've just reserved a set of Binatone Action 950 Two-Ways in Argos and was gonna collect them tonight

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=5531062

Anybody ever used these things in the mountains?

Well... I collected them this evening.  The Action 950's look to be of very good build quality.  The batteries supplied are only NiMH 600mAH so I've Ebayed a set of Energizer NiMH 1000mAH and will keep the 600's as spares.

I had a few drinks tonight so couldn't jump in the motor to try out the range, but the spec seems to suggest Up to 6 miles... Will let you know tomorrow.

They seem to have lots of functions built in: 968 Channels to choose from, VOX (Voice Activation - Hands Free), Channel Scanner to find other users (Good for emergencies if your mobile is in a dead zone), Key Lock, Docking Station, LCD Back Light... Too many to mention to be honest. Great piece of kit for 45 Quid. 

For only a couple of quid more I would recommend these over the Terrain 550's. Better quality, few more functions and better range.

Each handset is only 140grams including the batteries.  My only negative at this stage is that they don't appear to be waterproof/resistant, but that's nothing a sandwich bag won't sort out for now.  There's bound to be a waterproof cover available on-line to suit these.

Looking forward to trying them out next weekend.  I'll update my review after that.

Should have said... I do have a set of Terrain 550's on short term loan, that I borrowed off my brother, so I can compare the two handsets side-by-side.  I defo prefer the look and feel of the 950's, they are 10grams lighter than the 550's and the function buttons are molded plastic with the function characters indented so they will never wear off.  My brothers function buttons where just rubber buttons with the symbols printed on but the printing has now worn off with only very light use.

I know this all sounds a bit nerdy, and probably over the top, but if your thinking about getting something like this it may be of use.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010 »

Let me know how you get on and if they're quality I'll get a set too - then we'll have one for each team. Can't resist a gadget!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010 »

Let me know how you get on and if they're quality I'll get a set too - then we'll have one for each team. Can't resist a gadget!

Hmmm... First test wasn't too impressive to be honest... Not the 6 mile range that was promised on the box.  Only got about 1.1 Miles, as the crow flies, before signal was lost. Google Earth does show that between point A and point B, where I tested them, there is nothing but houses and I was inside the car.

Still wasn't all that impressed  :(.  They will have a use, i.e. keeping in contact with the kids, but I don't think they will be much use on the likes of Iplod.

Might be different in a mountain scenario, if you are broadcasting from higher ground, but I'm not gonna hold my breathe.

I wouldn't recommend you rush out to buy these until we have tried them out in the mountains.
See the View

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010 »

They might be of use for the iplod if you can have some sort of signal repeater in the middle, but that's a bit of a cop out and defeats the purpose of a mobile walkie talkie!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010 »

Until I can get into the hills and try these Walk Talk's properly here's an interesting review to keep you going:

http://www.qsouk.com/pmr-f7/binatone-950-review-t1242.htm

There's hope for them yet  ;)
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010 »

Looks positive. Think radios just don't work well in build up areas.

Until I can get into the hills and try these Walk Talk's properly here's an interesting review to keep you going:

http://www.qsouk.com/pmr-f7/binatone-950-review-t1242.htm

There's hope for them yet  ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010 »

I've got a set of these now (the do look fairly professional). Means we'll have enough for each team at the iPlod and we can give them a testing.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]