Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: High tech charging to avoid  (Read 9589 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
High tech charging to avoid
« on: July 20, 2014 »

Saw this item today in Maplin when out http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/brunton-hydrogen-reactor-portable-powerbank-n39dt. It was sheer chance I spotted it as they had it sat next to an unboxed biolite stove and I was nosing at that stunned and just how huge and horrid a thing it was for the purpose (glad I didn't jump on that wagon when it was originally put out in the market.).

So anyway this thing is labelled as a hydrogen reactor that spits out juice for your phone etc, the basics boil down to a unit around the size of a large battery pack, and a number of fuel cells to supply power. Each cell is a cylinder which screws into the reactor and a charge in the output from a usb slot, with a button to swap between output strengths. When empty you can recharge the cell and use it again and again. Sounds all good and simple, the marketing demonstrates you have either 1ma or 2ma outputs, and each cell can be recharged upto 1000 times before replacing. They suffer zero charge loss over time and can be recharged with water!!!!

Now lets come back to reality for a moment, what isn't clear is that to recharge a cell requires an additional piece of equipment, that is what is loaded with water from which hydrogen is extracted and used to charge the cell. So you do still have to have a power source for this charging unit to work, in addition you need to use distilled water not plain tap. So you either need a very cheap supply or a method of producing it yourself. Also the only real honest review I have seen spoke of how it took actual phone calls with the company director to verify specifications, these were listed as follows.

Each cell = 4500ma capacity, this is around 1.5 times the full charge of a flagship topline smartphone or around half a full charge of a flagship 10" tablet.

Actual output value = 0.5ma, this is a huge issue as you may find high power devices such as large tablets simply will not charge when powered up. Or smartphones will require things like wifi/bluetooth etc all disabled to reduce the battery drain, otherwise you are simply maintaining present charge levels.

Ok now the real kicker, the basic reactor pack consists of a reactor unit and two full cells. You can then either buy the additional charge unit or use a postal service to have the company recharge your cells for a surcharge (not stated anywhere the cost of this). So the price for all this wonderful new "green" tech? £140 for the base unit, £12.99 for each extra cell and the H20 Hydrolizer unit I can only find in the U.S at a meaty $270.

Compare all of this to a 12,000ma battery pack that costs in the region of £35 anywhere, has two usb output of 0.5ma & 2ma and charges with a mini usb connection you can plug into anything anywhere.

Even if you go ahead and spend the $400 needed for a full reactor and recharging station, you still need power to make the station work. The most likely option will be a home desk mount where you charge your cells before going away and then charge them upon returning home, this sounds wonderful until folks understand one minor fact. A battery pack operates in exactly the same way, I plug it into my pc the night before a trip to charge, and then do the same to again charge it when I get home. So this hydrogen method still requires the same if not more electricity from a mains/battery supply as the battery pack method, in no way is it any greener than the cheaper/lighter/smaller/more powerful alternative we already have.

But if you really just want something ally I can supply you with 12,000ma power packs that you can buy in pairs and for a small charge I will recharge them for you when needed and post direct to your door. Sarcasm? Yes but no worse than this product in actual practicality.

But in all seriousness unless you have too much money to burn and simply want some gimmick tech, stay clear of this one. It has been done by other firms but they at least have been somewhat more honest about the actual ability of the unit. The entire "it's green tech" line really doesn't work either and both methods require mains electricity somewhere to make them work at all. That is before you factor in carbon use in postal miles to recharge them.

polroger

• Top Poster
Re: High tech charging to avoid
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014 »

thanks for the insight Rich
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014 »

Thanks for this Rich, sounds like a seriously crappy piece of gear, although it would be nice if this sort of thing did become a usable reality in the future, however, my (limited) understanding of hydrogen energy was that it was generally not cost effective to extract energy from water.

If anyone does want charging I bought one of these from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJCHH36/

Was £22 and it's a brilliant bit of kit, fairly light (around 250g not counting any cables) and when I first tested it I was able to charge an iPhone 5s for a week before I got bored and forgot about it. I have this along with a set of bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth speaker all of which can be charged with the battery pack.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014 »

I came to a similar conclusion when just looking at the box RedLeader, then did some more research and found more problems. As you clearly say hydrogen extraction just isn't an efficient technology yet, if it were we would all have small reactors powering our homes instead of fossil fuels. So I do not understand how this tiny company from nowhere suddenly manages to make a wonder device that most scientists have yet to crack.

Your power pack looks very similar to the one I have. I have two one rated to 7500ma and the other to 12,000ma. For me they are simply the best method at this time in so far as power/weight ratio. Plus if your like me then you try to have an ecosystem where all your electrical devices run of the same type of power source with identical connections. This means you can just carry one power pack and one cable for everything.

My only temptation at this time is to possibly invest in the panel part of the high end power monkeys to use as a trickle charge top up device. However I am still a little skeptical on how well they will really perform in this country, and it is a lot of cash to shell out on what could be a door stop.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014 »

I have one of those wee 12000ma power packs from new trent and it has never let me down.
My phone, speakers and head torch all charge off it and it's reasonably light and portable for what it provides.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]