Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Imaging module - Any advice greteful  (Read 6070 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
Imaging module - Any advice greteful
« on: February 11, 2013 »

I have an imaging module due in in a week, and I have been set the task to photograph 5 photographs in each of the following sections:

-Scale/Proportion
-Grids
-Colour
-Typography
-Free choice

I like to try and blend my work in with the outdoors as much as I can, so I'm going to try and take some photos and blend them in with these categories.

The subject is wide grasp, but I was thinking of something along the following for each

-Scale/Proportion - A nice flower or something that has a golden ratio perhaps. And for proportion, I'd like a massive landscape and a human figure looking out over it, giving the sense of proportion.
-Grid - This could be a tricky one to blend in with the outdoors, but I was thinking of rock formations or something similar.
-Colour - Ideally I'd love a vivid sunset to unfold before me but that could take some number of attempts at best. Flowers would also be great for this but at this time of year, I'm short on luck.
-Typography - This might not be achievable with the outdoors, but if anyone knows of a rock or something that looks like a letter/number, I could maybe include that?
-Free choice - I'm not 100% what to do for this one but I was considering water droplets, perhaps photographing them on a nice leaf and similarly a nice beading eVent jacket.

Has anyone got any ideas where I could find any of the above?
 Thanks in advance.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

wmoulds

• Newbie Poster
Re: Imaging module - Any advice greteful
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013 »

Sounds interesting. I've always wanted to be able to take great landscape photographs but can never do the views justice.

Anyway, for grid, I would recommend 'The Castles' on the brandy pad.

Unfortunately flowers won't be out for a while but there are plenty of grasses or wedges etc that you could photograph with possibly a droplet on the end, or with slieve bearnagh at the background for scale.

I've got a event jacket recently washed and re-waterproofed  8) if that helps for the water beading.

It's probably a terrible idea but what about trees in a forest for typography, for number 1 or 11 or if your lucky a number 7 lol.

If your close to slievenabrock or the very back of Tollymore forest park looking out towards Luke's mountain, there is a single lonely tree all by itself in a very open and vast space with no other larger than grass vegetation about which could make a good photograph.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T S Eliot

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013 »

This is a great concept and i think you've covered most of what you plan to do especially with scale/proportion and colour. If i remember correctly don't pine cones (as well as pineapples and cauliflowers, but harder to find in the wild here) follow the golden ratio or Fibonacci number sequence which is the basis of most design grids. Maybe an idea for a close up photo showing this.

Typography in the wild, i immediately thought of the photo you took of 'Ni-Wild' written in the snow when you were up in the Mournes a few weeks back. Does this have to be entirely natural or can you lend a hand, i'm thinking you could make a word out of snow, instead of writing in the snow (or sand or mud for that matter) you could build the letters up like a snow-man, ie 3d letters rising out of the ground, i hope i'm explaining this well enough.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013 »

grid - the rock formations is a nice idea, certainly a lot of the granite in the Mournes is quite 'block-y'. I'm also thinking the hand of man in nature... coppices /tree plantations that are evenly spaced, the handrails on a bridge, or even the chicken-wire on wooden walkways, or that plastic grid they 'submerge' in boggy ground for people to walk on (it's like a finer version/idea of those blocks people put in a driveway with holes for the grass to grow through... there's a little side path in the lagan meadows path, there was some laid recently up on Black's mountain in Belfast, and I'm sure areas of the Antrim plateau must have it as it is quite boggy up there. maybe also a close up of the inner of a jacket...the little grid of dots or mesh drop-lining.

typography - I'm also thinking hand of man in nature: either just the engraved signs in forest parks have a distinctive typography, or you could try and capture a wind-turbine at just the right moment so one blade is in line with the mast and it looks like a Y ?

colour is hard this time of year. The forests seemed really lush and green on rainy sunday... in fact most colours come out better when it is wet.

good luck. interesting challenge you have set yourself!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013 »

Some great idea's guys.

That lone pine tree sounds like a photo waiting to be taken. I might look into that.

And I never thought of the pine cone for fibonacci sequence, that could be really easy to obtain in a forst. So far I found the following plant (Some sort of hairless cactus or small aloe species?? ???)

The typography one is a tricky subject. "TYPOGRAPHY– not just snaps of signage, vehicle livery, etc but categorising choices under what you have learnt – serif, sans-serif, decorative, etc. A possible alternative could be found type – letters and numerals found in the shapes of other objects."

I don't know if that reads to me as your allowed to make your own type, or if you just have to creatively capture something already produced. Maybe a nice macro image of an old book with the Serif fonts in view. With the right lighting I could maybe even show the texture of the paper? TC I like the hand carved forest sign idea, can anyone recall if Tollymore has one? I know it has some metal ones, most places seem to be replacing the wood no a days.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013 »

An abstract idea for Typography could be found in climbing, ascenders and descenders, how you could accomplish this i'm not too sure but i'm just throwing it out there.

Also, a fork in a forest road for the letter 'Y' or two branches/blades of grass crossing for the letter 'X', the moon/sun for the letter 'O'. The Giants Ring or the fort at the top of the Gregagh Glen for the letter 'O' again.

I think there are some wooden poles, almost like totem poles with writing on them up the Lagan, i know there's carved wooden acorns about 3 foot in height, as well as a dragon carved from a fallen tree with writing carved into it.

MudGoat

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013 »

What about this rock formation for "Grids"?

It is the same place I use in my profile picture. It is near the Devil's Coachroad, Grid Reference (pauses for laugh) J340274.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013 by MudGoat »
Semper ubi sub ubi.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013 »

yeah, definitely a few still in Tollymore. Saw one yesterday.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013 »

Brilliant advice guys. MugGoat, that is now on my list to photograph. Thanks for that, it's perfect.

I'll have to keep this post updated with my pictures as I go along.

Any other ideas, please keep them coming.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013 »

A few others, none too serious though.
Kerning - photos of Cairns.
Leading - pictures of, er, lead.

And then this, Typo(graphy) in nature:

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013 »

I laughed out loud at that attachment. You got karma for that.

I might have a wee go at the word play on the kerning though, I like it.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]