Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Donnard  (Read 18367 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Donnard
« on: January 29, 2010 »

Hi all,

i've been reading this site for a while now and just decieded to join! Seems a great place and your trip last week seemed a laugh!

Myself and my girlfriend and just getting into the outdoors really. We enjoy hill walking, forests and camping ( havent done a wild camp yet but that will hopefully change this year!!)

I've been up in the mournes a few times but only in the summer.

I was planning on maybe climbing donnard tomorrow morning, the weather looks not to bad. We dont have any special gear as yet as money tight at the moment so would be heading up with:

Basic backpack
Map & Compass
Normal clothes with boots
Fleece
Cheap none breathable waterproof jacket
lunch
flask of tea
camera

I was just wanting any advice on if its sensible heading up in the winter? Is there any snow on donnard at the moment? what about ice?

Any advice welcome.

cheers

Andrew.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Donnard
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010 »

Are you coming up from Bloody Bridge or Donard Car Park? There was ice up the steps to the Donard/Commedagh saddle on the Glen River side but it wasn't hard to get around. There was snow but only by the wall so you should be fine with a bit of care. Only thing I would say is don't walk in jeans unless you absolutely have to - it's bound to be moist up there and denim holds water like crazy. Other than that, the only other thing I would bring would be hat and gloves.

Have a great walk, the Mournes are awesome in winter and it's worth braving the cold to get up there. We'll likely be doing plenty of wild camping and walking so there'll be loads of opportunity for you to get an evening round the fire and a night under canvass :)

And welcome to the site!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 by J »

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010 »

Hi J,

Thanks for the welcome and swift reply!

That was going to be my next question, what is the best route up donnard? Glen river or bloodly bridage? pros and cons of each?

I wont walk in jeans, i was thinking like combat type trousers? I forgot hat and gloves!!

I like the sound of plently of wild camping and evening round the fire... maybe a few beers!!

cheers

Andy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010 »

I've actually never walked up from Bloody Bridge so I can't comment. I've been up from Donard car park a good few times and it's a straightforward walk (but obviously you do have to climb 850 odd meters so it's hard enough :)).

There's route information here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=758.msg5626

Hi J,

Thanks for the welcome and swift reply!

That was going to be my next question, what is the best route up donnard? Glen river or bloodly bridage? pros and cons of each?

I wont walk in jeans, i was thinking like combat type trousers? I forgot hat and gloves!!

I like the sound of plently of wild camping and evening round the fire... maybe a few beers!!

cheers

Andy

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010 »

Thanks J.

I was planning the glen river route from donnard car park, was just wondering if there was any advantage to the bloody bridge route.

I did climb slieve bernagh last year coming up from meelmore and then hares gap! that was in the summer though.

Can i expect donnard to be much harder because i'm by no means super fit!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010 »

Bearnagh is a hard climb too so if you've been up and over it then you'll be well prepared. We camped on the top of Bearnagh last year (awesome night!) and it was hard enough to get up carrying gear.

The only other thing I might throw in would be a small torch. Donard can be up to 6 hours round trip depending how fast you move and how often you stop and it still gets dark a little early these days.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010 »

Bearnagh was defn a hard climb!  ;D

awesome that you camped on the top! i thought that when i had climbed it that i wish i had brought the tent!! where abouts did u camp?

I take it there is no hassle wild camping in the mournes?

Good idea on the torch, will stick one in the pack.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010 »

We just camped in the dip between the 2 tors. As far as I'm aware as long as you don't make a mess then you're all good anywhere above the treeline. If you want to light a fire or camp in a forest you need to be more choosy though.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010 »

must have been amazing waking up on top of Bearnagh!! I'm defn goin to do something like that this year!

Thats good to know about wild camping above the tree line!

When you say you need to be more choosey about camping in a forest is there any particular places that are good? or places to avoid?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010 »

We would use Donard Wood and Annalong Wood the most but they both get groups of drunken idiots in the summer. Not that we don't have the odd tipple but we always behave ourselves and leave no trace.

Waking up on the top or Bearnagh was a great experience but watching the sun go down the night before was even better. Plus in the morning we saw a fox in the heavy mist which was spooky. We also did a 3am summit of Donard in the summer on a warm, totally clear night. That was awesome (if bloody tiring!)

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010 »

Allright mate If your looking for a more interesting walk I would tackle donard from bloody bridge. Its pretty much the same level of difficulty but I find it a lot more enjoyable. Its usually a lot quiter on the route up and you can have a look at the old abandoned quarry on the way. You just head straight up to the saddle then staright up donnard. Once you clear the forest the other route I find it extremley monotonous walking through the boulders, then the flat then the steps!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010 »

Hi Chris,

Thats interesting about bloodly bridge! i might give that a go then! is there a defned path up that way?

J,

sounds awesome watching the sun set and seeing a fox too.
The night hike sounds interesting! whats the view like at night?

would be amazing on a totally clear night seeing the stars!

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010 »

Andrew

Check your email, I've just sent you a message!  ;D

"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010 »

When we were on the top of Donard at night it was clear and we could see for miles. However, we did a night summit of Binnian when it was misty and we couldn't see a damn thing :)

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010 »

'we did a night summit of Binnian when it was misty and we couldn't see a damn thing'

opps!! ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]