Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Conquering Commedagh  (Read 3689 times)

bbmcg

• Newbie Poster
Conquering Commedagh
« on: October 27, 2012 »

Had a great day in the mournes yesterday with cold but dry weather and perfect  visibility . decided to retrace our route from 2 weeks ago via hares gap , slievenaglogh  and corragh to Commedagh as we felt it had conquered us the last time rather than vice versa . first time round it was all going so well til we started the final ascent up Commedagh and the weather closed in on us. at the top we knew we had to cross the wall and make for the summit cairn but with no compass , zero visibility and zero knowledge of this mountain this was easier said than done . we could just about make out a faint path and felt a bit more optomistic when we realised some kind person had marked little arrows in the ground which led us to the cairn.I'll never forget that feeling of horror tho when halfway across i turned round and couldn't see the wall anymore or anything else for that matter through 360°. i felt lost in space but figured if i kept walking id eventually end up somewhere near civilisation lol.

From the cairn we were supposed to head NW over shan slieve and towards the cascade river but with no compass to show NW and no visibility to spot the river we ended up going down the very steep Pot of Pulgarve  and slievenamaddy . This was my worst experiencie to date in the mournes . extremely uncomfortable, painful and disheartening !!! :(

Yesterday however we were rewarded with some excellent views and finally got to see what Commedagh's summit looked like. We enjoyed the easier descent down to the saddle beneath Donard and made our way back via the Brandy Pad . Lesson learned ....a compass is a must !!!!

First climb of the day up Hares Gap

Fantastic views from Corragh

Final ascent up Commedagh

Great to see where I am this time

Til the next time ......... :(

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012 by bbmcg »
Getting to the top is optional.Getting down is mandatory.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Conquering Commedagh
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012 »

It's a great route that one, well worth repeating on a day with better weather.  Glad you had a good time.

The first time I was up Commedagh I had to use a compass to find the cairn from the wall.  In thick mist it is difficult to work out which way the land lies.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012 »

That's a great walk, it's a top one for a summit camp too. Park at Meelmore Lodge and walk up to Hares Gap, then follow the wall until you get to the summit stone hut and there's a great flat grassy area. There's even the water pipe you pass as you approach the summit so you don't have to carry all your water.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012 »

Well done with the trek,that descent into the pot is a bit hairy :'( ,my last day on Commedagh I used the compass to get a bearing for the summit cairn,then i i carried on down Shan slieve.A compass & the ability to use it are vital tools which can be used with pacing & timing to assist in navigation.since joining the forum I've learned some great techniques from Big E & craigy123,keep at it,Kama  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012 by Mourneman »

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012 »

well done for getting out there again, commedagh is a great spot!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]