Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Training  (Read 3819 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Training
« on: April 20, 2010 »

After you guys momentus effort doing the mourne wall at the weekend i was just thinking about training.

Now being realistic I can only really get into the hills at the weekend because of work and i'm sure most of you are the same.

I'd be interested to know who does what training to increase fitness + endurance in the hills? Do most people here exercise daily?

I try and do a little cycling or running but to be honest its very on / off, so much so its prob no benifit at all!!!  ;D

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010 »

The best way to get fit for the hills is to get into the hills, other than that any cardio based activity will help. Aswell as your cardio I'd recomend leg strengthening exercises as they are what carry your ruck and do all the walking, no point having the best set of lungs known to man if your legs are like two noodles!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010 »

What sort of leg strengthening exercises do you recommend?

The best way to get fit for the hills is to get into the hills, other than that any cardio based activity will help. Aswell as your cardio I'd recomend leg strengthening exercises as they are what carry your ruck and do all the walking, no point having the best set of lungs known to man if your legs are like two noodles!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010 »

i've found that since i started hill walking my legs have gained alot of strength + endurance by getting out once a week but i think for lungs you need to be doing something maybe 3 times a week.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010 »

What sort of leg strengthening exercises do you recommend?

Just the normal things squats, split squats I found that my hips used to go "rubbery" after a day in the hills but sit ups with your feet secured helped that. Try standing up on your tip toes and down again for calves, this one works quite well if you stand just your toes on a step and drop your heels and push back up. do some of that then progress to weights (i.e fill you ruck)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]