Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bargain alert - Alpkit Filo  (Read 7303 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Bargain alert - Alpkit Filo
« on: March 06, 2014 »

Alpkit Filo down jackets are on sale at the moment.

Down to £80, I got one for Christmas and paid £120!  If I were a rich man I'd buy another one - one to keep good and the other for round the campfire.

Now is the time to be buying your items for next winter.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Bargain alert - Alpkit Filo
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014 »

Very tempted. How do you rate yours?

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014 »

I have only got to use it once on the hillside so far and was snug as a bug in it.  It is the first down jacket i have had and I really noticed the difference that it made.  It was also constantly in and out of the ruck in the week before the Bullseye Bivvy, but final decision was out since the weather didn't look great for it.

I wanted to get something in that range that was up above the micro-down jackets - warmth-wise, since I have a Primaloft coat that is the 'go-to' for over-layering on walks all year round and at camp from spring to autumn.  At the same time I didn't need something so overspecced that would be overkill and so overpriced that I was afraid to use it. 

I have worn it out and about several times for low-level walks and I'm well pleased with it.  It is a good fit and feels very warm but also very light on.  Aragorn has one and his has seen a lot more use than mine.  He speaks very highly of it.  I think it is well capable of dealing with a good Scottish winter or a Killi trip.

It packs down well, Aragorn recommended an E-vent compression sack that because of its air permeability allows you to compress it while getting rid of the air in the stuff sack.

There are many more expensive jackets that will have their benefits.  It is a personal choice as to whether someone thinks they are worth it.  Rumblebum got a nice Mountain Equipment down jacket with a nice cut to it.  The price wasn't much more than a full price Filo.  But then the Filo is now on offer for £80, which I think is a steal.   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014 »

I've had my eye of the Filo for a long time and it really is a great saving for a down jacket i've only ever heard good things about. I'm always a bit wary of down jackets though, simply because of concerns about live plucking but i believe AlpKit use a reputable source.

The 2014 model uses Duck-down (i believe there's a world shortage of Goose-down which has pushed the price up) as opposed to previous models using Goose-down, so does anyone know if there's any real difference between Goose-down and Duck-down?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014 »

i think it is well capable of dealing with a good Scottish winter or a Killi trip.
Damn you  >:( , I've a wee Cairngorm trip coming soon and I've always fancied a filo jacket, I wonder if they could deliver in time, and I wonder if I have enough money! I'm very tempted.
think outside, no box required

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014 »

I'll second the above.
I've had the filo for well over a year and a half now and it's an epic piece of kit.
Has kept me warm at times when I've burned myself out totally, great for rest stops or sitting about camp, esp on exposed summit camps when you rushed to the top.

In a bit of a spur of the moment camp on commedagh after work I once forgot to bring a base layer to change into, cotton t shirt was soaked by the time I reached the summit. So I strolled about the top of commedagh wearing the filo against my bare chest while the t shirt dried out, waiting on Fred showing up. Kept me toasty!

If you're getting one get one of these event drysacks:

http://tinyurl.com/eventdrysack

Size small. I I have 3 sizes of these for my jacket, autumn down bag and winter down bag, keeps everything compressed and gives total peace of mind about not getting the down wet.

Here's my review of the Filo, from quite a while back but my opinion hasn't changed:

http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/gear-review-alpkit-filo/

http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]