Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Primus ExpressStove and Windscreen  (Read 12548 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Primus ExpressStove and Windscreen
« on: June 21, 2010 »

Primus ExpressStove

Just thought I would post up a quick review of the Primus ExpressStove which I recently bought.  Primus is a Swedish based company who produce a wide range of stoves, cooking equipment and lanterns.  The company has a long history of making stoves, and apparently Roald Amudsen had a Primus stove with him when he became the first man to reach the South Pole in 1911.

The ExpressStove is part of Primus’ Lightweight range of cartridge mounted gas stoves.  It comes in two models; with or without Piezo ignition.  The Piezo ignition adds 16g to the weight and about £5 to the price, but I opted for the model without the ignition as I always carry my fire steel with me.

The ExpressStove is very similar to its popular counterpart, the MSR PocketRocket.  They both have similar specifications and are closely matched on price at around £25 - £30.  One of the main differences, however, is the pot support legs.  On the PocketRocket the pot support legs are hinged to fold up and down.  The ExpressStove takes a different approach, with the legs rotating around the burner and locking in to place.  This makes the pot supports on the ExpressStove very stable and able to safely hold larger pots.

Build quality on the ExpressStove is excellent.  It has a lightweight metal construction that feels robust in the hands.  All the moving parts feel secure and appear to have been manufactured to tight tolerances.  The gas flow is adjusted by a solid feeling knurled plastic adjuster.  The stove is supplied in a nylon stuff sack which has a drawstring and toggle.  Overall the ExpressStove appears to be well made and very durable.

The only design feature of the ExpressStove that I think could be improved is the gas flow adjuster.  Whilst the adjuster is well made and durable, the uniformly shaped plastic knob offers no indication as to how far open the valve is.  The smaller size of the adjuster also makes it slightly trickier to adjust with gloves on compared to a wire bail, and the adjuster is often hidden from view under the pot as it does not extend very far.

Performance wise the ExpressStove is excellent.  It will bring enough water for good sized cuppa to boil in less than 60 seconds, and even in windy conditions I was able to bring half a litre to a good rolling boil in around 2 minutes.  These times seem comparable with Primus’ product sheet which no doubt saw the stove tested in optimum conditions.   

Below I’ve posted the specification of the ExpressStove.  I’ve also posted the specification of the PocketRocket for comparison.

ExpressStove
Weight – 82g (tested)
Dimensions - 87 x 40 x 83mm
Heat output – 2600W
Boil time (1 litre) – 3.15min

PocketRocket
Weight – 85g
Dimensions - 102 x 50 x 51mm
Heat output – Unknown
Boil time (1 litre) – 3.5min

Unfortunately I don’t have a PocketRocket to physically test side by side with the ExpressStove.  However, I’ve read some reviews comparing the stoves that suggest the ExpressStove boils water faster, and more efficiently, than the PocketRocket.  Add to that the better stability, the ability to handle larger pots and a lighter packed weight, the Primus ExpressStove is a very credible alternative to the evergreen that is the MSR PocketRocket.

Will post up photographs soon...

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Primus ExpressStove and Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010 »

Primus Windscreen

The Primus Windscreen is a lightweight metal windshield designed to improve the efficiency and boil times of your stove in inclement conditions.  It is made from two metal sections that are joined by a flexible metal hinge.  The hinge allows the windshield to be prised apart to fit around the collar of a gas cartridge.  Once released, the hinge draws the two sections of the windshield together, securing itself to the gas cartridge.

The Windscreen weighs in at just 60g, has a diameter of 100mm and a height of 76mm.  It has a brushed finish and appears to be well made and durable.  There are some slots cut in the bottom of the Windscreen to aid ventilation and reduce weight.  For storage the Windscreen can be attached to the gas cartridge inverted, meaning it takes up very little space and only slightly increases the size of the gas cartridge.

In use the Windscreen does its job well.  It blocks out all but the biggest gusts of wind, keeping the flame alive and burning.  This keeps the boil times low, and in turn reduces gas consumption.

Since the Windscreen was released, Primus have issued a Safety Information document advising that the stove is only to be used with stoves that direct their flames upwards, rather than sideways.  They also advise that there should be an 11mm air gap between the bottom of the pot and the top of the windshield.  Compatible stoves include the ExpressStove.  I spoke to a supplier of the Windscreen and they advised that the safety information was only released after some users were shocked to find their hands got burnt when they touched the hot windshield.  Go figure!  When used with the ExpressStove, or similar, the Windscreen barely heats up at all.

Costing around £9 there are much cheaper home made alternatives.  However, the Primus Windscreen is very robust and will easily outlive most home made windshields.  If you want a good quality windshield that you can rely on, integrates neatly into your stove setup and safely protects your stove from the elements then this unique product is well worth a look.

Will post up photographs soon...

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010 »

Interesting. I thought the Eta Express burner and windshield were a single unit. I didn't realise you could buy them separately.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010 »

Hey Suspectmonkey, ever thought about writing for Trial ot TGO?
No one goes inside to clear their head

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010 »

Interesting. I thought the Eta Express burner and windshield were a single unit. I didn't realise you could buy them separately.

There is an all-in-one kit called the Eta Express, which is made up of the ExpressStove burner, a windshield and a 1 litre pot which has a heat exchanger.  It is around £60.  As far as I know it uses the ExpressStove with Piezo as the burner, but the windshield is different (smaller).

I decided to buy the parts seperately as I wanted the burner without Piezo and the better windshield.  Also, the heat exchanger pot is a bit heavier and a bit bigger than the standard Primus pot without heat exchanger.  I wanted to use the Primus pot on my Honey Stove as well, but I heard that the heat exchanger fins are a bit of a pain to clean when they get sooted up!

Hey Suspectmonkey, ever thought about writing for Trial ot TGO?

Dream job ;)

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010 »

Nice read and not full of gobbleygook that confuses a novice like me , was thinking of a pocket rocket or a hong kong burner of eBay , Reading this the Primus sounds just the ticket , I will now have to build up the courage and head into Belfast (don't like citys crowds traffic) and get myself one before I head to Donegal ,

cheers again Andy
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010 »

I will now have to build up the courage and head into Belfast (don't like citys crowds traffic) and get myself one before I head to Donegal ,
Amazon £29.90 - "Want guaranteed delivery by Wednesday, June 23? Order it in the next 5 hours and 24 minutes, and choose Express delivery at checkout. "  :)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010 »

I will now have to build up the courage and head into Belfast (don't like citys crowds traffic) and get myself one before I head to Donegal ,
Amazon £29.90 - "Want guaranteed delivery by Wednesday, June 23? Order it in the next 5 hours and 24 minutes, and choose Express delivery at checkout. "  :)

Still worth a trip to Belfast if you can face the crowds (not a big fan of cities either!).  Tiso have the non-Piezo version for £25, which is about as good a price as you will find even on t'internet, and you save on postage.

Love the affiliate link Chuck ;)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010 »

Love the affiliate link Chuck ;)
Helps J pay the bills ;)

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010 »

The wife just got me a primus alpine ?? Not sure what it is (googled nxt) but it's free :) will spend my money on one if those mugs chuck had that you can boil water in :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010 »

Sounds like you got a good Father's day present after all.  :)

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010 »

Sounds like you got a good Father's day present after all.  :)

I hope your not knocking my seal skinz socks I am more than happy with them :) but this stove is an added bonus , that cup u you had is it a crusader or something ??

ChuckMcB

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010 »

Opps...def. not knocking them, didn't know they were for Daddy's day...

Crusader cup: cheapish and nasty (£8.99) one can be got from the fake army surplus store out the back of castle court. But if you shop about you can get one a touch bigger with insulated handles and a lid (latter handy so you don't burn your fingers...former allows the water to boil faster. (that also where I got my enamel 1pint mug only £2.99)...both behind the counter for some reason...

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010 »

Opps...def. not knocking them, didn't know they were for Daddy's day...

Crusader cup: cheapish and nasty (£8.99) one can be got from the fake army surplus store out the back of castle court. But if you shop about you can get one a touch bigger with insulated handles and a lid (latter handy so you don't burn your fingers...former allows the water to boil faster. (that also where I got my enamel 1pint mug only £2.99)...both behind the counter for some reason...

i will let you off then  ;D

think I will stick to Internet as buying things from behind the counter sounds dodgy but I suppose the brown paper bag and suggestive wink from teller makes it an experince  :P

ChuckMcB

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010 »

;D

Them shops out the back of castle court (the old Smithfield markets area) do have a slight seediness to them, but the army surplus shop's worth a visit if you are waiting for the Mrs to try yet another outfit on in Debenhams.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]