Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Walkie Talkies for mountain use.  (Read 43186 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Walkie Talkies for mountain use.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010 »

I've got a set of these now (the do look fairly professional). Means we'll have enough for each team at the iPlod and we can give them a testing.

Well... We're back from iPlod and I was well impressed with the Two-Ways.  We were able to get crystal clear transmission from Hare's Gap to the top of Donard and were able to relay transmissions to the Bog of Donard via the team at the top of Donard. 

They proved invaluable for co-ordinating the NI Wild volunteers.  If it wasn't for the radios we could still be up there waiting for permission to come down off the hills  :D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010 »

Plus, who doesn't like playing with walkie talkies :)

I've got a set of these now (the do look fairly professional). Means we'll have enough for each team at the iPlod and we can give them a testing.

Well... We're back from iPlod and I was well impressed with the Two-Ways.  We were able to get crystal clear transmission from Hare's Gap to the top of Donard and were able to relay transmissions to the Bog of Donard via the team at the top of Donard. 

They proved invaluable for co-ordinating the NI Wild volunteers.  If it wasn't for the radios we could still be up there waiting for permission to come down off the hills  :D

ChuckMcB

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010 »

So where you guys just ignoring us at the Castles ;D , or did you not notice that you lost contact with us for most of the morning until the the fog cleared (we could hear all of you including the Hare's Gap, but most outgoing comms did not get a response...TBH our comms guys had next to no outgoing comms either, likewise he could hear incoming)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010 »

We had intermittent comms with all the stations. With the wind we couldn't hear much and got drowned out when we spoke.

So where you guys just ignoring us at the Castles ;D , or did you not notice that you lost contact with us for most of the morning until the the fog cleared (we could hear all of you including the Hare's Gap, but most outgoing comms did not get a response...TBH our comms guys had next to no outgoing comms either, likewise he could hear incoming)

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010 »

I have a couple of Binatone 550’s, four binatone 650’s and a couple of the 950’s.  I use them for all the leaders when taking groups in the mountains.  I think the 650 and 950 models appear to perform the same and are slightly better than the 550.  All of them are of course quite limited due to the power and frequency.  If a mountain is in the way then they simply don’t work.  As long as you know there limitations they can be effective.  We think they are great, especially for the leaders when supervising remotely as we can spread ourselves out and watch a few groups progress from a distance and keep in good communication with the other leaders.

As an example of their use: You can chat clearly between the Commedagh castles and the Annalong forest.  Or, I have sat at the top of Beg and relayed messages from someone on the other side of the Hare’s gap to someone at the edge of Annalong wood (but they could not speak to each other).

ChuckMcB

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010 »

Thanks for the extra info nematode.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010 »

I have more.... I once used the 550's for crystal clear communication with a leader who was looking after a group passing through the col of Donard in wind and rain.  I was sitting in Mauds with a piece of pie and an americano.  I think that is OK to say as I don't think he is a member of this forum.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010 »

(grin) That's the perfect location on multiple different levels :D ... you would have had near line of sight with your other leader from Mauds (that's the one on the corner beside the new bridge).

Seems that mad fog we had during the iWait could have been the thing that killed our comms, I'm over on another forum and there is lots of chatter about VHF vs fog: "UHF is mostly "line of sight". You'll also find that range decreases in rain, snow or foggy conditions."

Unfortunately I've now got my eye on a 4w imported PMR 446, it's a little bit naughty (read: illegal) to be using it in the UK, but I may get it to do some A-B testing with the Binatone 950, which seem more solidly made than the other two you mention...

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010 »

This guy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTOROLA-MTH800-GPS-WAP-TETRA-RADIO-TERMINAL-TEA1_W0QQitemZ320551809212QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=0f6d23f51290a0aad5577e57fd9dd0fb seems to be what the army boys were using. From looking about the net, it seems more trouble than it is worth trying to get something like this working LEGALLY.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010 »

That does look like them. Tho if they use the cellphone network then I wonder if they're any cheaper to operate than a mobile. Plus if you're out of range you're fooked (as we found out).

This guy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTOROLA-MTH800-GPS-WAP-TETRA-RADIO-TERMINAL-TEA1_W0QQitemZ320551809212QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=0f6d23f51290a0aad5577e57fd9dd0fb seems to be what the army boys were using. From looking about the net, it seems more trouble than it is worth trying to get something like this working LEGALLY.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010 »

To clarify: the legality is (generally) not with the radios.....but with the operator. To play by the rules you have to get yourself trained up and apply for a Amateur licence from Ofcom. (I wonder if my marine short-wave licence covers me for land based radios)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010 »

i was looking at the licence last night. its 75 quid for 5 years. it lookas like they just give you the licence after the money clears.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]