Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice on Geocaching  (Read 7731 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
Advice on Geocaching
« on: March 15, 2012 »

I was thinking about getting into Geocaching, as another form of entertainment alongside camping etc.

I've read information and watched videos on the official site. I love the idea of it but have a few questions and thought there would be plenty here who can answer them.

I havent got a GPS device or a GPS enabled mobile phone. - Would I be best getting a phone and buying and app that allows me to do so, or would a actual GPS prove more useful?

That then leads to my second question of can any recommend a good GPS (relatively cheap - i.e. less than £150) or does anyone have an old GPS they dont use anymore and would be willing to sell it to myself.

Answers appreciated,
Thanks team.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Advice on Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012 »

Mate i bought my Etrex garmin from ebay for £26.00,& its never failed me once,you're more that welcome to join me any time for a spot of geocaching.It's a wee bit tricky at first how to load up the co-ordernates,but it's easily picked up,something like this does the job oisin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-eTrex-GPS-/251015420989?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item3a71af5c3d#ht_600wt_1141

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012 »

I'm liking the price of that. Some of the top of the range one's scared me they were that dear.

I'll possibly bid on that.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

whoisaaron

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012 »

Never tried it either. Sounds fun & would gladly take a lesson before having a go.

Do you cover much distance on your average geo-caching day out?

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012 »

From what I've read on it distances can vary as there can be one anywhere at all.

And it seems to be a jump right in hobby, as in you put the co ordinates into a GPS device and away you go.

I love the fact that it's something for all abilities and that it takes you places you might never of thought of going had it not been for that cache.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012 »

heading to the mournes first light geocaching
 ;D

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012 »

Never tried it either. Sounds fun & would gladly take a lesson before having a go.

Do you cover much distance on your average geo-caching day out?

Like Mourneman, I have a Etrex and it works best in mountains. It is an added feature to your walk and you can organise your route to take in a few geocaches. I would suggest that you do about 3 or 4 as sometimes it takes time to reach each location and then actually looking for it. There are different types of geocaches. The one I usually go for are Traditional Caches whereby you go to the one location and find it. The another type is Multi Caches whereby, it co-ords takes you to a location, you answer a question (usually the answer are digits)and then you fill in a grid for another co-ods which then brings you to the cache. Sometimes you have to answer three of four questions and go to different locations in order to find the one cache. It is up to you what you want to do. There are of course urban ones which I am not a great fan of but have done a few.

Again like Mourneman, if you want to go geocaching, feel free to PM me. I am off on a Mon & Fri and the weekend.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012 by Daithi2004 »

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012 »

heading to the mournes first light geocaching
 ;D

What time tomorrow?

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012 »

first thing

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012 »

Definately go for the likes of a Garmin... The phone apps depend on a 3G signal and there's parts of Belfast that don't have coverage never mind anywhere really remote! Garmin or other GPS work anywhere tho!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012 »

TBH you're better going for a newer model that's designed for geocaching. The older etrex model above doesn't have mapping and isn't best suited for caching. It can be done, I've been caching with my old Tomtom, but it just makes things harder.

The newer ones's, i.e. last 3 years or thereabouts, are much better. You can upload free maps and when you upload geocaches you'll get all the info on the GPS; hints, description, comments from previous finders.
I believe prior to this you'd print out the info of all the caches you want to find that day  :-\

I got a Garmin Dakota 10 from Amazon almost two years ago for £150 [now £110]. It's a touch screen model and runs on 2 x AA's. Very rugged and very easy to use :)

IMO you're definitely better getting a device purely for GPS rather than as an addon to a phone. They'll get better signal where the 3G network won't. Also most GPS models can take a knock or two whereas most phones will not. Another big plus is you can switch out batteries if you're running low. My torch, GPS and point & shoot all take AA's ;D

Mine is probably at the lower end of the scale but suits me perfectly. Works great for geocaching and measuring tracks when out walking.
You can easily pay £500+ for a GPS model with a camera, wireless sharing and other such stuff but it's not necessary for caching and hill walking.

99% of cachers I have met have Garmins. A lot of them have the Etrex Vista / Legend but I've seen a few higher end models like the Oregon.

We did an Intro To Geocaching last year at Carnfunnock. It allowed people to get to play with a variety of models and geocaches. You really can just jump in and go. You can geocache on your own or go to some the meets they have and go out with others. There's guaranteed to be several within a few miles of your home  ;)  ;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Dakota-10-Handheld-GPS/dp/B002G1YPIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332085434&sr=8-1

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012 »

Hi i was looking for a GPS for hiking primarily (maybe get into geocaching later),  the dekota looks good for £100 but is there others that would be better if you are interested in hiking?
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012 »

The 'missing bits' from the Dakota 10 is the electronic compass, barometric altimeter, no micro SD card and cannot transfer data wirelessly between units.

It still has a compass and altimeter within it but I guess not as good as the upgraded models. I have found the memory capacity in mine to be great; holds a few maps and 2,000 geocaches.

I'm not totally sure what features would be needed for serious hiking but am pretty sure the Dakota 10 would tick most boxes.
  • Rugged and waterproof
  • Ability to add maps, both free and paid
  • Long battery life
  • Can have 50 routes
  • 1,000 waypoint locations (handy for marking your car's location)
  • Bearing to next waypoint
  • Nice compact size
Another nice feature is that it logs your walk and shows this on the map. Useful if you're going straight there and back.

Another decent GPS is the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I've had a play with that one for a few days. Not touch screen but has all the 'missing bits' above mine doesn't.

Only £90 and Amazon's No.1 seller. I believe it is a top of the range model but not part of their newest range. That doesn't mean it's not a great GPS :)
Don't think there's many cheaper new GPS's. Ebay definitely worth a look for a bargain or maybe some Geocaching forums.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Vista-HCx-Handheld/dp/B000UH1YZ8/ref=zg_bs_322406031_1

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012 »

I've ended up with a Garmin etrex Legend,

got it on ebay, for just above £50. So I should be getting a hold of it in a couple of days.

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012 »

thanks, i will consider getting one of the ones you recommended, it's much better buying kit that people can vouch for, thank you
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]