Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Making a Caldera Cone  (Read 9712 times)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Making a Caldera Cone
« on: August 07, 2011 »

After our wee trip to Doan last week, I was rather impressed with the Caldera Cone Suspect had with him. Now I know you get a rather Gucci meth's burner when you buy it but I had thought the aluminium cone its self would be relatively easy to make.

Anyway, after a bit of playing I have finally arrived at a usable generic design. The working drawing needs more dimensions if it was to be used for marking out but it is meant to be held in place and cut around.  My plan is based on the MSR Titan Kettle but it is easily adapted for specific items.

The original

Rough sketch

Rendered

Flat pattern

Working Drawing

Matthew

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Making a Caldera Cone
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011 »

Top stuff. If you could make one of these I'd defo buy one... I think numerous people would!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011 »

Nice work, I'm interested to see how this one works out!  One thing I would pay particular attention to is the style of burner you use with it, as well as making sure you have sufficient airflow through the cone.  Because it is so enclosed the burner that comes with the Caldera Cone is optimised to burn with low airflow, or so the marketing bumph says.

If you want to pop over anytime to have a nosey at the Caldera Cone again just give me a shout :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 »

Does the burner sit on the ground or is it suspended? Did you not say the stove that comes with the Caldera is an actual pop can stove made from a Coke tin?

Nice work, I'm interested to see how this one works out!  One thing I would pay particular attention to is the style of burner you use with it, as well as making sure you have sufficient airflow through the cone.  Because it is so enclosed the burner that comes with the Caldera Cone is optimised to burn with low airflow, or so the marketing bumph says.

If you want to pop over anytime to have a nosey at the Caldera Cone again just give me a shout :)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 »

Does the burner sit on the ground or is it suspended? Did you not say the stove that comes with the Caldera is an actual pop can stove made from a Coke tin?

Sits on the ground, but in saying that the burner is safe inside the cone and the cone is extremely stable with the pot on it.  I'm not sure how the pop can stove that comes with the Caldera Cone compares to the traditional MYOG pop can stove.  Mine is definitely just a Diet Coke tin with a Red Bull tin inside it, but I think it might have bigger holes to allow more air in.  It also has a nifty primer plate which helps cold weather lighting and stability.  One thing worth noting is that there are no burner holes like on a Trangia burner or the Whitebox stove, it literally just burns one flame through the large centre hole.  Not sure how that compares to home made pop can stoves - do they have burner holes like a Trangia?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011 »

Fascinating, could we get a pic of the burner? I thought the holes were incredibly important as the most efficient operation was when the fuel vapourised in the outer sleeve and was burned as it exited the holes at the top?

Sits on the ground, but in saying that the burner is safe inside the cone and the cone is extremely stable with the pot on it.  I'm not sure how the pop can stove that comes with the Caldera Cone compares to the traditional MYOG pop can stove.  Mine is definitely just a Diet Coke tin with a Red Bull tin inside it, but I think it might have bigger holes to allow more air in.  It also has a nifty primer plate which helps cold weather lighting and stability.  One thing worth noting is that there are no burner holes like on a Trangia burner or the Whitebox stove, it literally just burns one flame through the large centre hole.  Not sure how that compares to home made pop can stoves - do they have burner holes like a Trangia?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011 »

Fascinating, could we get a pic of the burner? I thought the holes were incredibly important as the most efficient operation was when the fuel vapourised in the outer sleeve and was burned as it exited the holes at the top?

Here is the product image from the Trail Designs website along with some of the info:

The 12-10 alcohol stove was specifically designed to perform in the lower oxygen/higher heat environment found inside the Caldera/Ti-Tri cone systems.   It is a "center burn" design where air comes in the holes you see along the outside and the flame comes out the larger hole you see on top.

It is made of aluminum re-use materials and has no moving parts to wear out or break down.  The 12-10 is designed for denatured alcohol only. This is a readily available fuel that can be found in any hardware or paint store and at many backcountry outfitters. 

This stove is intended to be used primarilly with the Caldera/Ti-Tri systems, but can used in conjunction with your own pot stand and wind screen as well.

Made in the U.S.A!

• Tuned to work in all Caldera or Ti-Tri Cones
  • Made out of recycled material
  • Integrated primer pan
  • Center burn design
  • Ultralight! (16 grams)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]