Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saturday 28 July 2012  (Read 11070 times)

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Saturday 28 July 2012
« on: July 26, 2012 »

Has or is anyone planning or going into the Mournes for the day or overnight  yet? If so what are your plans?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012 by surfnscenic »
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Re: Saturday 28 July 3012
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012 »

As a general rule I try not to plan that far forward
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012 »

Not sure if I'll be around then, but will keep you posted.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012 »

I'll see if I can get this date booked off work. Or if the retirement home lets me out.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012 »

I'll see if I can get this date booked off work. Or if the retirement home lets me out.

I'm out tonight for dinner, then in the morning I've some things to do.  After that I'll I'll be better placed to offer some suggestions on what to do.  I'm thinking of a summit camp, weather permitting.

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012 »

Finally got cleared up.  Weather forecast looks okay up until noon tomorrow-Sunday so I am thinking of Meelmore Lodge to Hares Gap (re-assess  ;) ) then on to Bearnagh.  Would like to be leaving Meelmore Lodge around 19:30.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012 »

i might go for an early morning jaunt tomorrow in that direction, hopefully bump into you along the way
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012 »

Did the Bearnagh loop this morning and did indeed manage to bump into George and walked back down with him.

A wee pic of the lovely north torr,  George camped down there at the saddle by the kink in the wall

Another reason i did Bearnagh today was to try out my new trainers (Karrimor X TR trail runners, £35 from sports direct http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-tr-mens-trail-running-shoes-213090 ) on what must be the steepest path in the Mournes, the descent from the summit to the Bearnagh/Meelmore saddle

As you can see they have plenty of grip, and they performed admirably on this steep track.

so bring on the seven sevens  ;D

think outside, no box required

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012 »

Well, that's my second summit overnight done.  I very pleased and surprised that I've managed two in two weeks after no walking this year up until then.  This week-end was in quite stark contrast to the previous glorious outing.

Arrived at Meelmore Lodge around 1910 and it was dry so I started to get changed.  There was a hive of activity on the site with a large number of youth groups, possibly Duke of Ed or similar.

Within 5 minutes the sky became darker and darker then it started to pour heavy rain.  I had to slam the boot closed and jump into my car.  The rain thundered on the windows and roof and I was pondering the wisdom of heading out at all, never mind doing a summit overnight.

After about 20-30 minutes it eased off enough that I could get out and continue with getting ready.  I still had a doubt in my mind.  The sky wasn't giving anything away as it was ever changing.

At 1945 I headed up the well worn track past the densely tented three fields of Meelmore. From the sights I could see I didn't need any more convincing that where I was going would be better by far.

Over the stile and there were more young folks camping.  I stared across the boggy heathland trying to pick out a path that wouldn't swallow me up given the recent and never ending liquid sunshine we've been having.

I reached the very fast flowing Trassey River and as it thundered over the rocks and swirled at the tufted grasses wondered just how long I could remain relatively dry. I walked along the right had side of the river and unfortunately came upon a dead adult sheep lying in the water.  Please take note.

Nearer to where the river turns sharpely I was able to get across without going for a paddle.  Very pleased but not complacent.  The solid path was appreciated.

At the upper ford I opted to clamber up the bolder field rather than take the goat track on the right side.  I thought that with the heavy rainfall that some of the tricky points on that path might be a little too hairy so played it safe.  It wasn't that bad and I reached the Hares Gap unscathed at around 2050.  I was however sweating like an RBS director!

The wind was swirling about and though it was relatively clear I felt that the cloud cover was descending and would soon reduce visibility somewhat.  After a quick break I headed up the steps towards the Bearnagh summit. I was satisfied that if things got really bad I could simply retrace my steps back to the Hares Gap or even all the way to Meelmore Lodge.

The wind was coming mainly from the north and I was able to stay close to the wall on my right hand side.  There are places where, because of erosion I had to move away from the cover of the wall and then felt the beating of the wind.  There was some very fine specks of rain but it nevre got any worse than that.  No need for waterproofs, thank goodness.

As I reached the start of the lower extremities of the North Torr the cloud suddenly enveloped me and it got noticeably colder.  Just zipped-up the soft shell.  Just kept going up, step at a time, I'll get there.  problem; can't see "there" or anywhere now.

More define tracks lead away from the wall and I took them, still gaining height.  I wanted to get set up before darkness fell and this kept me focused.  I haven't been up this way for a while so I couldn't clearly recall the aspect of the ground.

I soon rounded the very imposing buttress of the North Torr and it greeted me with slap, as the strong, very strong wind whacked me up the face. Please let me get to the top.  Within a short time and not much more climbing I reached the wall.

The light was rapidly fading and the wind was just constant.  The taunting,dancing clouds were like dried ice in an Andrew Loyyd-Webber stage production minus the colour, the music provided by the wall as it whistled, the wind picking its way through all the little gaps in the mighty granite.

Now, where to pitch.  Not a lot of choice, which sometimes helps.  I wanted to stay close to the wall to get the best of its shelter from the blustery north wind.  Check, this is July, our summer?  On the map you'll see that as the wall runs from North to the Summit Torr it bends noticeably at GR314283.  I found a relatively level and least stoney surface and started to pitch.

I had to use stones to stop the tent from disappearing into the sky.  After the usual peg in-peg out routine I eventually got the Zephyros 2 up. I made sure all pegs had a stone on top and made extra guys to support the single central hooped pole.

Got inside sorted and then the Jetboil lit for some hot grub and tea.  Darkness descended quicker than I had wished for. But, then again with the mist I couldn't see anything and the wind was no invite to stay out and look about.

It was warmer inside the shelter of the tent and even warmer when I got into my Mountain Hardware Lamina 20 sleeping bag.  I also put this inside a basic Trekmates bivvy bag just to keep it clean, dry from any condensation and to add any extra insulation.

When I lay on top of my Thermarest Neoair mat I found I was sliding off to my right side.  Not going to be good.  Idea- put rucksack under that side.  It worked, thank goodness.

Sleeping wasn't that easy due to buffetting wind, I don't know what strength or scale the wind was but it was bloody noisey and, now and then gave the tent a bit of a kicking.

Around 0530 stuck my head out hoping for a new dawn and a clear sky.  Not a chance.  Back into bag and some more snoozing.

Up proper about 0830 and some porridge and tea. A few walkers passed close by but as appears apparently normal these days didn't make any significant contact bar a courteous "Hi there."  Nothing else.

Got packed up and ready for the return journey.  Waterproofs, gloves and hat were needed.Which way to go?  Feeling adventurous I took the walk down towards Meelmore and over the stile towards Pollaphuca.  How'd you say that without sounding rude?!  Sunshine out, quickly, off with the waterproofs.

Anyway, down the nicely laid out stone path, things looking good.  Then out of the surprising warm and continuing sunshine came the  happy face of our very own LandyLiam running towards me.  You're picturing me with arms open, aren't you?

Liam kindly walked with me downwards and his company and chat was greatly appreciated.  His knowledge of short cuts and safer routes is very useful and energy saving.

Just as we reqched the bottom of the Clonachullion rock faces it started to rain again.  Liam started back into his running and I had to put on the darned waterproofs, again.

The remainder of the walk back to the carpark was pleasant enough.  The sprawling mass of tents and cars in Meelmore camp site has reduced to maybed 5-6 groups the only signs of the others being the bags of rubbish heaped at the blackened wheelie bins.  Some obviously couldn't be bothered clearing up after themselves and it was blowing about the place.

At the centre I thought of a shower.  Checked out shower area and realised I didn't smell that bad to want to use them.

Quick change then into Newcastle for obligatory Ulster fry.  Makes it all worthwhile.

Some photographs to follow soon.

regards,

George
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012 by surfnscenic »

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012 »

An enjoyable read Surf.  Plenty to be able to relate to.  The solo-camp attacks of doubt about the wisdom of the plans, peg in-peg out is familiar too.  My latest one was securing a peg in at either end then feeding the pole in only for the wind to get underneath flipping the whole tent about 270 degrees.

I'll bet even with the lack of views, occasional rain, tiring walking into the wind etc. you don't regret a single moment.  Staying at home just couldn't have came close.

Typo-on.  Ear plugs for a LC are a must.  In fact ear plugs are always a must for me especially when sharing a tent with Rumblebum!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012 »

Great stuff George, sounds like a top night. Good to hear the Zeyphros 2 stands up to rougher weather well.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012 »

Great write up george, enjoyed reading it.  :)
No one goes inside to clear their head

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012 »

Is it true that his Bum Rumbles register on a Seismometer? and that after a tin of beans he has to let the Major powers know that Ireland isnt testing Nuclear weapons its just his bum?

Beans aren't the worst, did you see how many bags of brussel sprouts there were at the Christmas camp!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012 »

great write up george, enjoyed reading it.due to illnessess and broken bones chloe and my self have not been out since feb/march  but went today to check out an island in strangford lough accesable by a causeway at low tide .will have an overnighter there next weekend then will make a big effort to get up mournes every 3rd weekend. stories like george`s help to motivate

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012 »

Are you talking about Island Hill between Ards and Comber?

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]