Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: The Correct Clothing  (Read 10000 times)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
The Correct Clothing
« on: January 17, 2010 »

Being New to all this I was just wondering about the right clothing for out walking in the hills.  looking round there is so much bloody stuff on the market its easy to buy a load of useless crap.

At the minute I have loads of stuff for work and for out walking the dog over the fields.

I usually wear

Base Layer -  Helly Hanson Lifa Top (and the bottoms in the cold)
Mid Layer -    North Face Apex Elixir and or North Face Windwalll Fleece
Jacket -         RAB Latok Alpine

I was reading about Downs & Micro fleeces, stuff to put on when you stop etc. I wont be doing any camping at the moment just one day walks,

I wear Berghaus Explorer Ridge Boots and Just recently bought some Bridgedale socks, which I really feel the difference with, I have one pair of walking Trousers by TNF and a pair of Trek Mate Sprint Light XCR Gaiters. My over trousers are Berghaus for when it gets heavy.

I read that these down puffa style jackets are good for heat and carrying, but i would likley look like the michelein man with it on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010 by JT701 »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: The Correct Clothing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010 »

Sounds like you're more than prepared for day walks. The sort of stuff you have is what I would be taking for weekends :)

Down jackets are awesome but totally useless if you're walking. They're unbelieveably hot - just imagine walking wearing a good winter sleeping bag :) Down gilets are good (a down jacket without the sleeves) - they pack down quite small but you still wouldn't use them for walking - too hot! However if you have space in your bag and don't mind 400-750g extra a down jacket/gilet will compress well. I use an xtra small dry bag for mine.

Walking wise I think as long as you have decent boots, a wicking baselayer and a breatheable waterproof jacket you're all good.

At the mo I have HH base layer, Berghaus micro fleece or windproof fleece (depending in how cold), Berghaus Paclite jacket, Scarpa XCR boots and Craghoppers walking trousers. Throw in a spare fleece and down gilet and that's my camping gear :D

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010 »

Jonno seems to have summed it up there. You could go nuts and buy all the most expensive gear in the world for walking but I dont think it'll enhance yoir experience that much more. I usually find the opposite, If I'm wearing something new and expensive I seem to spend more time worring about looking after it rather than enjoying the scenery. All the gear you have sounds perfect for a day in the hills, dont get me wrong its important to be prepared (dont be wearing shorts and flip flops on the coldest day of the year!) but 9/10 you'll find that the clothes you own are fine for the job, I would recomend that you get some sort of insulated/wind proof coat to throw on when stoping for lunch or to take a few snaps etc. That one extra layer can make the world of difference,  I'd just try not to get overly hung up on the equipment side of things...

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010 »

Cheers for your help guys, i thought (well hoped) that I had enough of the right gear, as I didnt want to double up or buy more as I am a tight arse.

might look at getting a down jacket or bodywarmer to keep in the bag.

Cheers

Kirth

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010 »

Much as I love buying gear, if I had a £300 jacket I'd be terrified to wear it on a mountain or round the fire incase something happened to it :)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010 »

Jonno seems to have summed it up there. You could go nuts and buy all the most expensive gear in the world for walking but I dont think it'll enhance yoir experience that much more. I usually find the opposite, If I'm wearing something new and expensive I seem to spend more time worring about looking after it rather than enjoying the scenery. All the gear you have sounds perfect for a day in the hills, dont get me wrong its important to be prepared (dont be wearing shorts and flip flops on the coldest day of the year!) but 9/10 you'll find that the clothes you own are fine for the job, I would recomend that you get some sort of insulated/wind proof coat to throw on when stoping for lunch or to take a few snaps etc. That one extra layer can make the world of difference,  I'd just try not to get overly hung up on the equipment side of things...

I'm with chris here there nowt wrong with being kitted out but it's time spent in the outdoors that this hobby is all about.

a decent coat, boots & waterproofs will keep you right for great day in the hills.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010 »

Much as I love buying gear, if I had a £300 jacket I'd be terrified to wear it on a mountain or round the fire incase something happened to it :)

Never though of it that way !!
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010 »

I got the RAB Latok Alpine a few weeks ago, now I will not leave the house without it.  Though everyone is right, I do find myself taking more care when walking sometimes for fear or wrecking it.

Matthew

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010 »

That is the same jacket as mine, brilliant coat

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]