Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Marshall Mourne Way Marathon: June 09, 2012
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Marshalls for the Mourne Way Marathon 9th June 2012  (Read 20623 times)

rin44

• Newbie Poster

A 12hr stint wow ,Thats somethin else.i Think running it,s the easier option :) fair play to everyone marshalling.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012 by rin44 »

clav

• Newbie Poster

i volunteered too,but was just told to report to kilbroney at 08:00am,and dont know where i'll be or what i'll be doing!! would have preferred to be in position and know what is required, so i can prepare myself,a bit more communication would have been nice,i also was in contact with ian last week and have heard nothing since!!   

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising

i volunteered too,but was just told to report to kilbroney at 08:00am,and dont know where i'll be or what i'll be doing!! would have preferred to be in position and know what is required, so i can prepare myself,a bit more communication would have been nice,i also was in contact with ian last week and have heard nothing since!!   
you're more that welcome to join me,ed,fisher felim at the hen,windy gap station,we'll be meeting Ian at 8am in Kilbroney

Lisa

• Newbie Poster
  • A Breath Of Fresh Air

anyone at the donard feeding station?

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster

I'm at the Trassey Track station and had permission from Ian to go direct to there.  I was thinking that if my car was nearby then I (we?) would have plenty of resources eg extra clothes, flasks, maybe a life raft! 

However on reflection I think I'll just report to Rostrevor like everyone else.  Don't want to miss something important about what I'm suppose to do.

More importantly it'll mean I might be able to meet some othe NI Wild folks.  Just found my NI Wild badge again so I'm seeking a way to display it without fixing it permanently to one garment.

I'll keep watching this post for any other developments.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Lisa

• Newbie Poster
  • A Breath Of Fresh Air

OK, so i wanna o marshalling, but im still clueless and feel anything but prepared. Can someone help? Ian hasnt got back to me... ???

rin44

• Newbie Poster

hi lisa, why not just turn up at Kilbroney forest park at 8am, i,m sure they,ll sort you out, and assign you to a feed station. I had comms problems with them too. trying to get my race start instructions.finally got a reply.they,re probably up to their  eyes. Go for it :)

Lisa

• Newbie Poster
  • A Breath Of Fresh Air

kilbroney park - is that in/ near warrenpoint?

rin44

• Newbie Poster

No its in Rostrevor, the entrance to the forest park in on the main road by the sea shore.you,ll see all the signs and publicity stuff.

Lisa

• Newbie Poster
  • A Breath Of Fresh Air

so o we leave our cars there? what all should we bring etc?

rin44

• Newbie Poster

i,m not sure about leaving cars there, they may have transport to drop all the marshalls to their points.I know we,re being bused to the start of our race at Ott track. i,d say you need your walking gear,rain gear etc, food and flask.sori i cant help about the transport end. maybe some of the other ni wild types know??

Lisa

• Newbie Poster
  • A Breath Of Fresh Air

Thanks Rin44 :)

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster

Lisa,

I've sent you a PM. 

My understanding is that we will be bused out to the various points possibly similar to what happened last year at the iPlod event.

As said above plenty of warm clothing, wet gear and hot food/flasks.

George

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster

That's me done and home.  This morning I Drove to Kilbroney Forest Park at Rostrevor arriving at 07:40 to be re-directed to Trassey Track.  On arrival there at 08:05 Mark my partner was aready there and along with Ian had the gazebo shelter set up.  A table arrived soon after.  We had water, oranges, fruit cake which everybody loved and cold baby potatoes which apparently the marathon runners like.

The weather was very good bearing in mind the heavy rain during the week and especially on Friday night.  The runners did say that conditions on the hill sections were boggy and very slippy. Spoke with Chris Craig Twentyclicks who was doing the ultra-marathon of 52 miles, yes fifty two miles.  Well done to you and to all the other ultra-marathon and marathon runners for even considering to do such a challenge.

There were long periods of inactivity then for short periods a deluge of thirsty people looking refreshed and water bottles filled.  I choose not to go to the post marathon events at Kilbroney.

All in all it wasn't a bad day and I'm thankful the rain stayed away.

Did anyone else from NI-Wild get out today?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012 by surfnscenic »

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Thanks George, my bottle-filler extraordinaire! Great day, but yes, the streams were high and many (the course was altered in Tollymore as I think the stepping stone were submerged), and mud everywhere... I loved it  8)

Great success compared to my effort last year - 10hr 09m by my Garmin. Last 10K was gnarly: my body is falling apart... but pains over-ridden by satisfaction. Will blog it all next some day soon.
Hope the other guys in the various events had fun.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]