Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Gosford Forest Park  (Read 4160 times)

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
Gosford Forest Park
« on: April 18, 2011 »

Ok, as stated in other thread was going to go to Castlewellan this weekend but dont think its a good idea...! has anyone ever stayed at Gosford? young fella is into astronomy so thought i might combine a trip to the planetarium with camping?   

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Gosford Forest Park
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011 »

I haven't stayed in Gosford for years, but we used to regularly go there in the caravan when I was growing up.  It's probably one of the lesser known Forest Service campsites so might have less problems, and I have a funny feeling they used to close the main gates overnight.  The warden Dessie used to be excellent, although I'm sure he has moved on by now.  VMCC might have more recent information on this site.  One thing I will say is that its an excellent spot for star gazing from!  I remember we used to regularly see the Milky Way from this site on clear nights, and as you say the Planetarium is just up the road. 

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011 »

Cheers jon, I also think there is a rallying stage down around there over the weekend or maybe that was this weekend past  ??? might be a better plan tho...!!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011 »

Any time I have been at Gosford it has been fantastic, though I would have said that about Tollymore up until the weekend.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011 »

Cheers jon, I also think there is a rallying stage down around there over the weekend or maybe that was this weekend past  ??? might be a better plan tho...!!

Hmm... think Circuit of Ireland Rally is this weekend coming, although I'm not sure where the stages are being held.  Should be a bit more info on their website - http://www.circuitofireland.net/1/welcome/.

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011 »

I've not been to Gosford but if I was considering going I would be on the phone to ask about night time staff, or in the absence of some at least an on call telephone or mobile number.

I would be reluctant to try any forest commission site unless I was reassured that it had a night warden. I was considering going to Kilbroney which I believe is also council run but I have been told (but I've not confirmed it yet) that there is a night warden so you might consider that one.

If you want quiet have a look at the Shepherds Rest campsite near Draperstown. It's in the backside of nowhere, way up in the hills and the light pollution shouldn't be too bad. It's barely known about too. I'm thinking of going there early June as apparently there is a hot air balloon festival nearby.

Another really isolated and little known one is Hillfoot near Dungiven. It's so hard to find that you have to look for it on google earth before hand (it's on the slopes of Benbradagh), extract the co-ordinates and set the sat nav to the bottom of the lane.

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011 »

Cheers VMCC the dungiven one would be close to home but was looking for one that we might be able to have plenty to do during the day as the young man gets fed up easy and the more options the better...!! but also quiet at night so it dont scare the life out of him...!

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011 »

Well then for things to do it's a given...the Share Centre in Co. Fermanagh, it has an indoor pool, loads of activities suited to different age ranges, with an emphasis on water sports. I love it there, it's my favourite site - but - their night time security isn't wonderful either, no harm just a bit of noise and the two wardens tend to sit in their office watching TV. But at least they lock the gates at 10pm.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]