Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: smelly boots  (Read 12619 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: smelly boots
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010 »

so what shops are good at fitting then, hopefully someone will measure my feet and steer me in the right direction

As it happens, Kat bought new boots recently.  We went to a few shops.  Blacks were useless, I don't even think they have any equipment for fitting. Tiso weren't much better, we didnt get any help with fitting and the shop assistant kept disappearing so you had to go and fetch her to get another size. Cotswold at Boucher were superb. The guy there asked the right questions, measured the feet and then made suggestions based on that. He was able to advise on how a correctly fitted boot should feel and took the time to lace and tie them. They also have a ramp for trying them out on. Blacks or Tiso didnt even come close to this level of service, but I guess it depends who serves you. Hats off to the guy in Cotswold though, thats where we ended up buying.

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010 »

Sorry you had a bad experience in Tiso... they take boot fitting quite seriously.  I've been trained for measuring and all manner of tips and tricks and will spend as long as the customer is willing to get the best boot.  If it's very busy I might need to pop away to help other customers (or tidy relegated boots away) as you try a pair on, but you won't be forgotten.

If you need help with insoles or such, the floor manager is very good.  There are people know what they are doing so if you feel you want more advice or help than you are getting it's worth asking.

I'm the fussiest man in the world for my own shoes fitting right - it's how I expect most customers to be too  :D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010 »

so what shops are good at fitting then, hopefully someone will measure my feet and steer me in the right direction

As it happens, Kat bought new boots recently.  We went to a few shops.  Blacks were useless, I don't even think they have any equipment for fitting. Tiso weren't much better, we didnt get any help with fitting and the shop assistant kept disappearing so you had to go and fetch her to get another size. Cotswold at Boucher were superb. The guy there asked the right questions, measured the feet and then made suggestions based on that. He was able to advise on how a correctly fitted boot should feel and took the time to lace and tie them. They also have a ramp for trying them out on. Blacks or Tiso didnt even come close to this level of service, but I guess it depends who serves you. Hats off to the guy in Cotswold though, thats where we ended up buying.

How much did Chris pay you to say that? ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010 »

Sorry you had a bad experience in Tiso... they take boot fitting quite seriously.

I guess its the same everywhere, it just depends who serves you.  After all, as much as a company can take boot fitting seriously, its all down to the person serving you on the day.  Will know who to ask for next time I need boots fitted though Craig ;)

How much did Chris pay you to say that? ;D

If it was Chris then he has certainly aged since the last time I saw him ;D  Besides, if it was Chris then we probably would have left the shop with a pair of Inov-8 instead :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010 »

Inov-8 ?? have i got another shoe to add to the list then  ;D

here's my old scarpas, 8 years old, (only £50 from Raw Outdoors in the half price sale, i miss Raw Outdoors  :'( ) i could probably spend some time reproofing them but they are about a half size too big and i'm suffering on the steep downhills   >:(
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010 »

well i was in Cotswolds in Belfast (excellent staff, very helpful and they know their stuff) today to try a few on

Salomon Cosmic - very very comfy and quite flexible, but didn't feel like they would be a long lasting boot, i could be wrong though

Meindl Softline - very comfy and had a good long lasting durable feel about them

Scarpa ZG65 - a decent boot, felt light and reasonably comfy but no comparison to the above 2 (about £20 cheaper though)

I tried a couple other but can't quite remember which ones but the above 3 were the best

so i am still torn between the Meindl and Salomon   :-\

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011 »

after all this time (9months!) i still haven't bought a new boot yet, do most of my hiking in an old pair of trainers anyway  ;D , but i popped into Hilltrekker in Newcastle at the weekend and tried on a pair of Inov8 Roclite 400 GTX - the worlds lightest leather goretex boot, (http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973129)  VERY NICE, if they had my size i think it would have been an impulse buy

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011 »

I was in Tisos a few weeks ago and got brilliant service on both days. Also got a few handy tips.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]