Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-Wild Camping Trip: January 23, 2010 - January 24, 2010
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip  (Read 67608 times)

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Camping Trip
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2010 »

Ok well I have been looking on translink and i can be in Newcastle for just after 11am. I can start on the reverse meelmore route,  ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2010 »

If you could get to Belfast earlyish in the morning maybe someone could grab you.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2010 »

I dont drive live in Ballymoney  >:( Have tried to get a few others to go but its too late notice......... so need lift more than happy to pay fuel cost................!!

I'd offer a lift Shirley, but I'm coming from Bangor so Ballymoney is in the wrong direction for me.  If you can get close to this part of the country though I'm sure could work something out!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2010 »

What sort of tent did you go for mate.

Ended up going with the Vango Tempest 200.  Still fancy a Pro Action as well mind, but can't see them coming back in to stock at this stage :(  Vango will do the job though because I will be mainly using it for 2 person trips, so when the weight is split between two it will be fairly light.  I think it works out around 2.5kg any way so it shouldnt be too much of a back breaker even for a one man trip.  Will soon see at the weekend :)  The porch sold it though, I like a good area to cook in!

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2010 »

I dont drive live in Ballymoney  >:( Have tried to get a few others to go but its too late notice......... so need lift more than happy to pay fuel cost................!!

I'd offer a lift Shirley, but I'm coming from Bangor so Ballymoney is in the wrong direction for me.  If you can get close to this part of the country though I'm sure could work something out!

Thanks Jon train get's into Belfast central at 8.38 so that might be to late, as i said i can always meet you's on the way......have a wee race to myself to see how far i can get lol

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2010 »

I toyed with the Tempest but in the end went with the Banshee 300. It is the same weight at 2.5kg but has much more floor space as its technically a 3 man. I didn't really think it through though because with no headroom or porch the extra space doesn't help much.
I'd be interested as to how the Tempest actually stacks up space wise - these things are always different on paper...

What sort of tent did you go for mate.

Ended up going with the Vango Tempest 200.  Still fancy a Pro Action as well mind, but can't see them coming back in to stock at this stage :(  Vango will do the job though because I will be mainly using it for 2 person trips, so when the weight is split between two it will be fairly light.  I think it works out around 2.5kg any way so it shouldnt be too much of a back breaker even for a one man trip.  Will soon see at the weekend :)  The porch sold it though, I like a good area to cook in!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2010 »

I don't mind leaving a bit later if needs be. If Jon could get you in Belfast at 840am you're still going to be at Meelmore before 10am which is loads of time.

Thanks Jon train get's into Belfast central at 8.38 so that might be to late, as i said i can always meet you's on the way......have a wee race to myself to see how far i can get lol

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2010 »

I don't mind leaving a bit later if needs be. If Jon could get you in Belfast at 840am you're still going to be at Meelmore before 10am which is loads of time.

okies sounds good over to Jon then...........lol

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2010 »

I wanna go................ :-\

Don't fret we can probably sort something out.... If it helps any and it's any easier than taking a train to Belfast I live in Larne and can get you to Meelmore but unfortunately the other seats for the return leg home have been pre-booked but perhaps some good samaritan could sort that out  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 by billy backpack »

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2010 »

I wanna go................ :-\

Don't fret we can probably sort something out.... If it helps any and it's any easier than taking a train to Belfast I live in Larne and can get you to Meelmore but unfortunately the other seats for the return leg home have been pre-booked but perhaps some good samaritan could sort that out  ;)

That would be great but i dont want to put anyone way out of there way...!! it would prob be better tho and maybe it would mean I could do the longer route too...... ;D Im getting al excited now not been in the mournes since the mmm....!!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2010 »

Don't fret we can probably sort something out.... If it helps any and it's any easier than taking a train to Belfast I live in Larne and can get you to Meelmore but unfortunately the other seats for the return leg home have been pre-booked but perhaps some good samaritan could sort that out  ;)

That would be great but i dont want to put anyone way out of there way...!! it would prob be better tho and maybe it would mean I could do the longer route too...... ;D Im getting al excited now not been in the mournes since the mmm....!!

Shirley, if you want to take the train to Belfast I can pick you up there at 8.40am then we can head to Meelmore.  Or, if you want to take Billy Backpack up on his offer for a lift to Meelmore, then I can take you from Meelmore back to the train station in Belfast on the Sunday?  Either suits me fine :)

Spark

• Top Poster
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2010 »

Shirley, if you want to take the train to Belfast I can pick you up there at 8.40am then we can head to Meelmore.  Or, if you want to take Billy Backpack up on his offer for a lift to Meelmore, then I can take you from Meelmore back to the train station in Belfast on the Sunday?  Either suits me fine :)

The later sounds like a plan, Billy I will pm you my number to sort were to meet ext.........

Edit just seen my pm.......lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010 by Spark »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2010 »

Sounds like we're all sorted then - just Simon to confirm if he's coming.

Looks like it's going to be a blinder, plus the weather looks fine too. Party on Wayne!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010 by J »

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2010 »

I'd forgotten about a date I had with a washing machine on Saturday morning  >:( but it looks like I've managed to shift that to Friday afternoon so I should be on for this!

Now the only question is what route and how hardcore I go on my shelter - do I go for the the bivvy and tarp?  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2010 »

Who needs a washing machine anyway, those breeks will last another week! Great to see you can make it - that's 10 walking and 8 camping.

I did a few nights under a tarp before Xmas and it was great fun but I'm going to give the Hike Lite an airing this weekend. The temperature doesn't look like it will be below zero and the forecast says no rain and low winds - perfect bivying weather!

I'd forgotten about a date I had with a washing machine on Saturday morning  >:( but it looks like I've managed to shift that to Friday afternoon so I should be on for this!

Now the only question is what route and how hardcore I go on my shelter - do I go for the the bivvy and tarp?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]