Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mournes Summit Bivvy: January 15, 2011 - January 16, 2011
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Summit Camp/Bivvi - Back by popular demand - 15/16 Jan 11  (Read 79877 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Interesting, they mention J302285 but there's nothing on the map.

There's nothing on my OS 25k. Do you have a grid ref - my interest is piqued now!

Sounds like the one above the happy valley car park, about half way up to the saddle, on left of the river. Sorry Chuck, did I give away your secret emergency spot :)

Not sure yet if I can stay over but hope to at least pop up for tea, leaving happy valley car park about 5ish.

I think this is the quarry building Chuck is referring to: http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?PHPSESSID=2hg1cvqnfs6biopslfb4dd2qe6&mtnindex=138&findpage=true

Scroll down to the third post by "tsunami"

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

What time is everyone heading on Saturday. May as well travel in as much of a group as possible.

I can't get away from Bangor until 15:00 so I will be arriving at Meelmore Lodge approx 16:00 (16:20 if I get my traditional McD's on the way down).

Hopefully arriving at Meelmore summit about 17:30.  Save me a nice 7ft x 3ft spot against the wall... Thanks  ;)

Can everyone try and bring as much fuel for the fire as they can carry.  I was gonna bring my hobo stove but if were going to have a crowd I might just bring my folding shovel instead and prepare a little fire pit which can be covered with the original layer of turf in the morning.  It would give us a bit more scope for sitting round it and hopefully protect the fire being blown away in the strong winds forecast.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

What time is everyone heading on Saturday. May as well travel in as much of a group as possible.

I can't get away from Bangor until 15:00 so I will be arriving at Meelmore Lodge approx 16:00 (16:20 if I get my traditional McD's on the way down).

Hopefully arriving at Meelmore summit about 17:30.  Save me a nice 7ft x 3ft spot against the wall... Thanks  ;)

Can everyone try and bring as much fuel for the fire as they can carry.  I was gonna bring my hobo stove but if were going to have a crowd I might just bring my folding shovel instead and prepare a little fire pit which can be covered with the original layer of turf in the morning.  It would give us a bit more scope for sitting round it and hopefully protect the fire being blown away in the strong winds forecast.

Great idea, I was going to collect some dead wood on my way up. tie it together and strap it to my pack.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Great idea, I was going to collect some dead wood on my way up. tie it together and strap it to my pack.

I would even suggest a fire log Lenny.  Weight to Burn time ratio is far superior to wood and so much less bulky.  Each fire log will burn for about 1hr 30mins so if everybody brought one we would have a nice fire for most of the evening.
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Yep, if everyone brought a firelog we'd be absolutely laughing!

I would even suggest a fire log Lenny.  Weight to Burn time ratio is far superior to wood and so much less bulky.  Each fire log will burn for about 1hr 30mins so if everybody brought one we would have a nice fire for most of the evening.

Tim

• Top Poster

This is gonna be a great test for my new rab storm bivvy. I'll probably be leaving meelmore lodge early in the morning to get a bit of a walk in before making my way to the camping spot, although I'm planning to do the mourne wall on Friday so I may not be fit for much by Saturday. I've a friend who wants to come along for the summit camp, hasn't been on the forum yet as he doesn't want it to distract him while he has exams, but he's finished on Thursday so he'll probably pop on and say hello before Saturday.

I'll see what I can do about bringing a firelog up

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

fair point - but wood is free & fire logs arn't

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Best fire log available, and I've tested a few, is from B&M Bargains for 99p

You wouldn't want a 3kg bundle of wood ruining your Meelmore Summit attempt... again  ;)  You'd end up having bad Karma with trees too!!!
See the View

666_pack

• Hero Poster

This is gonna be a great test for my new rab storm bivvy. I'll probably be leaving meelmore lodge early in the morning to get a bit of a walk in before making my way to the camping spot, although I'm planning to do the mourne wall on Friday so I may not be fit for much by Saturday. I've a friend who wants to come along for the summit camp, hasn't been on the forum yet as he doesn't want it to distract him while he has exams, but he's finished on Thursday so he'll probably pop on and say hello before Saturday.

I'll see what I can do about bringing a firelog up

your pickin a good time off the year for the mourne wall mate. The area from Silent valley to Slieve loughshanna will be really really boggy! Happy trails ;)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

666_pack

• Hero Poster

You wouldn't want a 3kg bundle of wood ruining your Meelmore Summit attempt... again  ;)  You'd end up having bad Karma with trees too!!!

:D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

I will see what I can do. I don't wanna fall out with trees. People i don't mind  :P but not trees  :'(

Tim

• Top Poster

Your pickin a good time off the year for the mourne wall mate. The area from Silent valley to Slieve loughshanna will be really really boggy! Happy trails ;)

Haha aw well. Bog i can take, my two previous attempts were in 25degree heat which didn't go well at all.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

Right, the nazi side of me coming out here..... but I say, if you don't bring a firelog, don't expect to sit by the fire!

Its not fair that some people bring them and some dont - thought everyone has their reasons - not wanting to carry it being the main one!

Comments plz !

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

Right, the nazi side of me coming out here..... but I say, if you don't bring a firelog, don't expect to sit by the fire!

Its not fair that some people bring them and some dont - thought everyone has their reasons - not wanting to carry it being the main one!

Comments plz !

I am never to be someone who would leave someone in the cold.

Tim

• Top Poster

Comments plz !

I can see you're point here, but some people may not have the space in their rucksack or the time to get a firelog on the way up, or not be able to carry a firelog up a mountain with camping gear so I would have no problem letting someone sit round my firelog. Its not like they'll be sucking all the heat out for themselves or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]