Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mournes Summit Bivvy: January 15, 2011 - January 16, 2011
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Summit Camp/Bivvi - Back by popular demand - 15/16 Jan 11  (Read 79877 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Our own beer tent. I like it.

We could rig up a few tarps round the hut and have a enclosed drinking area ;D

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

The weather forecast is a bit mental - is it not....

26 MPH winds, gusting to 50 MPH at 3pm on Saturday afternoon, I can feel cold ears coming on.

MG1

• Hero Poster

The worse weather the better.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Can't see it being worse than the last 2 times on Binnian so I'm not too bothered.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

I'm not bothered !

MG1

• Hero Poster

It'll be fine fella's just bring enough tonic to drown out the wind. ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

I was hoping to test my tent in some inclement weather, so I'm not too disappointed with the forecast at this stage :)

Temperatures could be heading towards double figures by the weekend as well, so could be shorts and t-shirt all the way ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

What time is everyone heading on Saturday. May as well travel in as much of a group as possible.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Tent? Rain?  Considering the temperatures will be quite warm, I was thinking of just bivvying in my new sleeping bag.  Synthetics good in the wet?... ok, lets see.  Will bring a plastic bivi incase.

I have to travel light to cover all that ground, so will sacrifice puny shelter for food and drink  :D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

ChuckMcB

Been watching this thread for a bit and I'm of a similar mind. Meelmore's flat, very exposed, Combine that with the promise of rain, and stong winds and a bit of a steep climb from the Bearnagh side, could make it quite into a bit of a slog, despite the promise of mulled wine :D ...the hard core around here will have no problem with it...but if anyone's not bivvied before, you really don't want this to be the first one...bring a tent. :D As for me...I'll probably come along for the walk...then skip off like a big ginny ann to the quarry building at the top of the Happy Valley.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

As for me...I'll probably come along for the walk...then skip off like a big ginny ann to the quarry building at the top of the Happy Valley.

That's actually a good spot to keep in mind as a foul weather alternative if the weather proves just too much... although I'm remaining optimistic that the forecast will improve as the week progresses!

What time is everyone heading on Saturday. May as well travel in as much of a group as possible.

I was hoping to be at Meelmore Lodge and hitting the trail around 2pm.  What is everyone else thinking?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Where is the quarry building above Happy Valley?

Been watching this thread for a bit and I'm of a similar mind. Meelmore's flat, very exposed, Combine that with the promise of rain, and stong winds and a bit of a steep climb from the Bearnagh side, could make it quite into a bit of a slog, despite the promise of mulled wine :D ...the hard core around here will have no problem with it...but if anyone's not bivvied before, you really don't want this to be the first one...bring a tent. :D As for me...I'll probably come along for the walk...then skip off like a big ginny ann to the quarry building at the top of the Happy Valley.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Sounds like the one above the happy valley car park, about half way up to the saddle, on left of the river. Sorry Chuck, did I give away your secret emergency spot :)

Not sure yet if I can stay over but hope to at least pop up for tea, leaving happy valley car park about 5ish.
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

There's nothing on my OS 25k. Do you have a grid ref - my interest is piqued now!

Sounds like the one above the happy valley car park, about half way up to the saddle, on left of the river. Sorry Chuck, did I give away your secret emergency spot :)

Not sure yet if I can stay over but hope to at least pop up for tea, leaving happy valley car park about 5ish.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

There's nothing on my OS 25k. Do you have a grid ref - my interest is piqued now!

I think this is the quarry building Chuck is referring to: http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?PHPSESSID=2hg1cvqnfs6biopslfb4dd2qe6&mtnindex=138&findpage=true

Scroll down to the third post by "tsunami"
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]