Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mournes Summit Bivvy: January 15, 2011 - January 16, 2011
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Summit Camp/Bivvi - Back by popular demand - 15/16 Jan 11  (Read 79699 times)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography

Well Done Guys, I was thinking of you all a few times through out Saturday, at about 4.30 in Belfast I was doing a football match and the rain was sideways, the other Photographers were all complaining about the rain, and I just laughed and though that this is nothing to what you guys are experiencing.

I woke up in the middle of the night and the windows were getting battered by the rain, and I think the words eejits & Mad came into my mind.

But fair play to you all.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

That was a bit of a classic!  Really enjoyed the walk up and over Slieve Meelmore, the final Seven that I needed to visit.  Also well chuffed that all my gear coped really well so won't have any worries if get caught out in weather like that.

As has already been said, respect to the guys who came up in the dark.  Sorry never got to chat much to Craig, Chuck and Tim but I was too cosy in my cocoon!  Thanks to Matt for doing taxi duties and Jonno and Dowser for keeping the fire toasty.

Looking forward to hearing about MG1 and 6 Packs trip, sounds like it was an epic?!  Wasn't hard to figure out where you spent the night when I spotted the Buckfast empties the next morning ;D 

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

The only thing that got wet through on Saturday night was my gloves.  They were just a pair of Thinsulate things, but there was no way I was putting them on again the next morning.  I ended up using my spare pair of Bridgedale socks as mittens which worked a treat but looked a bit silly to passing hikers.

So I've learnt from my experience and have just bought a pair of these from Ebay for £14.99.  If your on a budget you can get them for £9.99, or less, second hand but I never take the risk and always buy my kit new.

:) Waterproof, Windproof and Breathable
 :) These are Lightweight Goretex Outers
 :) Label Reads 'Mittens Outer Extreme Cold Weather'
 :) Designed for cold weather use with inners
 :) Draw cord tie to pull tighter
 :) Wrist adjuster to make smaller if required
 :) Genuine Military Issue Kit NSN 8415-99-869-3505

Think that's me totally waterproof now!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

As I was starting to write a trip report for the weekend I did some research on the summit tower of Slieve Meelmore. Found out some fascinating information which might be of interest. As it's quite lengthy I'm posting the trip report in two parts, but there are some B&W photos to see in Part 1.

I can't believe I didn't notice the initials carved into the tower, although in fairness it was dark and the weather was foul. Did anyone that went up the following day spot the initials?  I fear I may need to do another trip to see them with my own eyes!

http://www.jonpatterson.co.uk/2011/slieve-meelmore-part-1/
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]