Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First solo overnighter - The Long Mynd  (Read 18927 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
First solo overnighter - The Long Mynd
« on: August 30, 2011 »

I took the chance of being on holidays in Shropshire to take-in a quick solo overnighter; a first for me.

The Long Mynd (or long mountain) is really one big mountain, some 7 miles long and three miles wide with a high moorland on top but with many deep cut valleys on one side forming lots of smaller hills.  It was difficult to plan a route before going on holiday but I did as best as I could looking on the satellite images on google maps and other literature on the web.  I was then able to pick up an OS map in England when I arrived.  Even with the map the terrain looked quite steep and I wasn't sure how many suitable spots there would be to pitch a tent.  The land is owned by the NTand overnight stops are not allowed, so arriving late and leaving early was to be the strategy.

Bright nights and fine weather set things up nicely, and so I set off just after dinner from the picturesque town of Church Stretton.  I was a little nervous heading up through the NT car park, whilst the visitor centre/coffee shop was closed there were a few scattered dwellings and a park warden's landrover sitting.  Needless to say the pace was fairly quick until I could get out of sight.

Carding Mill Valley from Church Stretton

Great, I could now relax and enjoy the walk, following well defined paths up through Carding Mill Valley. 

I didn't meet another soul until I got right up onto the moorland at about 480m.  I then had the pleasant company of another walker who had come across the higher moorland on an evening walk.  We walked along chatting and watching a beautiful sunset over the Stiperstones as we covered the last km or so to the summit at Pole Bank (516m).  As the sun finally disappeared and we headed our own different ways, I started to wonder if I had spent just a little bit too long watching the sunset, considering I still had to find somewhere to pitch for the night. 

Sun setting over the Stiperstones

I followed another valley down about 150m to an area that I had thought looked suitable on the map.  Thankfully it was and I soon got-to pitching the tent a short distance off the main track, managing to do so without needing to use my head torch (just).  My hands started to feel quite tingly though and I soon realised that I'd been trying to sink one of the pegs into the middle of some nettles.

Fantastic.  I was all set for the night, what next?  Oh yeah my wife's last words (after the bit about the mad axeman) were "and make sure you phone me and let me know you are ok".  Well, deep valleys with steep sides = no reception.  Not wanting to risk landing home the next day and find she has assumed the mad axeman had finally found someone up the hills after many unsuccessful nights' hunting, I thought I would dander on down a bit, maybe round the next bend and see if I could get reception.  20 minutes later, a few bends later, still no reception.  Nothing else for it, but to go up.  Another good 15 minutes up the way and I finally got to leave a somewhat out-of-breath message.  I hoped it was audible, because I sounded like I was getting chased by a mad axeman!

Now all I needed was to find my tent again, pleeease!  That place that I'd picked earlier, that was good because it wasn't so obvious from the track....  Thankfully I found it without any difficulty, although in unfamilar territory little doubts can creep in.

The rest of the night was spent stargazing, listening to music and sipping a 'glass' of red.  It was a really clear night and with very little light pollution the milky way was visible. 

In the morning I woke up after a great nights' sleep to a beautiful sunny morning with a clear blue sky overhead.  It was a great feeling to think I was probably the only person anywhere near there.  Whilst packing up I realised I'd driven another peg straight through some dung.  Maybe I should have used my torch after all when setting up the night before.

Bedroom window

Discreet pitch.

After breaking camp I set off to complete the rest of my circular route down Ashes Hollow, going near to Little Stretton and back through the woods to Church Stretton.  All in all, it was about 8 miles with around 380 metres of ascent. 

Ashes Hollow

The scenery was beautiful.  It was very different to the Mournes and a nice change.  The vegetation was very varied and lush.  I also saw much more wildlife, spotting several red grouse.  I wonder what the Mournes would be like with less grazing?

I loved the aspect of being alone in the hills, it is hard to explain, but I suppose you feel fortunate to be there, enjoying it in perfect peace and quiet.  There is a sense of adventure in carrying everything with you and not quite knowing exactly where you will stay that night. 

When I got home I went for a walk with my wife along the Stiperstones, where I had been watching the sun set over the previous night.  It was a great couple of days.

There were a couple of places where the heather had been on fire but these looked like they had been dealt with swiftly.  In contrast to the devastation the Mournes faced at Easter.  The supply of these fire beaters and rangers no doubt helps manage the risks.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: First solo overnighter - The Long Mynd
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011 »

as much as i enjoy the craic round the campfire its always nice to do a wee loner once in a while, enjoyed the write up, i always tell the missus not to expect a call though  :)
think outside, no box required

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011 »

Great pics! I could almost be there.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011 »

Awesome, I really enjoyed reading that. I've only done a couple of solos and both times I was really wary of being out alone. I'd definitely recommend that anyone that enjoys wild camping do the occasional loner, it's great to be out in the quiet with only your own thoughts for company!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011 »

Great Write up. really enjoyed reading it.  ;D
No one goes inside to clear their head

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011 »

Looks like a great spot.

Climbed The Wrekin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrekin last year but never got to the Long Mynd or Stiperstones.
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011 »

Looks like a great spot.

Climbed The Wrekin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrekin last year but never got to the Long Mynd or Stiperstones.

The Wrekin is only a mile away from where we were staying.  I chased the kids up it with the usual story of them moaning the whole way up and then "I love climbing mountains" at the top ::)

The Wrekin is really popular.  On a Sunday the roads can be reduced to single lane around it with climbers heading up.

If you are back in the area I can recommend the Wrekin Tap in Wellington.  It was the CAMRA West Midlands Pub of the Year a couple of years ago.  They can have anything up to about 10 real ales on the go at once.  They're decent and would give you a wee try of some before you buy it as well.

I love that part of the country.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011 »

Sounds very familiar.
I chased the kids up it with the usual story of them moaning the whole way up and then "I love climbing mountains" at the top

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011 »

Great rite up, im still to do a solo over niter and im 42 ! so whats it like ? Anyone ?
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011 »

Here's a blog post of a solo I did in Feb.
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2011/02/solo-summit-bivvy-part-one/

Great rite up, im still to do a solo over niter and im 42 ! so whats it like ? Anyone ?

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011 »

If you are back in the area I can recommend the Wrekin Tap in Wellington.  It was the CAMRA West Midlands Pub of the Year a couple of years ago.  They can have anything up to about 10 real ales on the go at once.  They're decent and would give you a wee try of some before you buy it as well.

I love that part of the country.

Dammit, didn't know about this pub when I was over there! In the English pubs I liked Theakstons XB and pork scratchings.
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]