Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Just went for a wee look!  (Read 6977 times)

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
Just went for a wee look!
« on: March 01, 2013 »

So last night I applied to the site, and after reading that I would have to wait on an admin manually approving my account - I decided to go for a quick walk around the Mournes.

So I loaded up my bag with 2 Pot noodles, Tin of beans, Eggs, mini gas cooker, lots of water and plotted my course. I planned to cover two or three of the hills and end at Bernagh - how hard could it be?

Hard.

After taking an hour to find my way through Tollymore, I knew it wasnt going to be quite what I had expected. So I quickly abandoned my ridiculous plan after severely overestimating my walking speed.

I decided to check out a spot on Sprinkwee (I think it's called) river, which I had seen on this site somewhere. Lovley spot. Or spots rather, as when I was leaving after having some lunch, I saw many other potential areas.

From there I took a roundabout way back to the forest and spent a couple of hours dandering around. I think I'll take my dad and brother to that spot for a night. We have a three man tent though it is on the heavy side.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. I noticed on the way out of the tollymore carpark a large building with male/female toilets. Are there also showers there?

2. To get into the carpark I had to pay £4.50, which is fine, but are you allowed to leave your car there overnight? Might be nice to have the car behind locked gates after 5pm.

3. I saw a house in the distance while walking the river (South west of tollymore forest). If the residents see me, will they shoot me? Or think I'm trying to hurt their sheep? (Ahem...I'm not that way inclined)

4. Thoughts on this tent? (At least to get me started)
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-soul-200-tent.html

5. Blisters. Work boots are apparently not hiking boots, I have learnt. Recommendations for some decent (though no hundreds of pounds) boots?

Thanks!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Just went for a wee look!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013 »

I often find getting through the forest trails the hardest part of my navigational journey too :)

1.  Don't think so, but there is a caravan site there too which i assume has showers.

2. I don't see why not, but you could also park in the village and walk through the exit gate.

3. Yes but i believe their aim isn't what it used to be so keep moving and you'll be fine  ::)

4. Looks ok, but remember a 2 man tent is really only suitable for 1 unless its purey used for sleeping or you are very friendly with your camping partner.

5. Sports Direct is probably the best place to get a pair of budget boots.
think outside, no box required

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013 »

Thanks Liam.

1. Ah good. It's just I case I ever decide to camp a night before work.

2. Good idea. Hopefully the locals don't mind.

3. Haha... - *walks faster*

4. Well yea I want something lightweight to solo in but also have room for gear. Saying that I was hoping to bring my dog so maybe a large one would be needed after all.

I may just stick with the 3man I have but it weighs in at just under 5kilos and takes up most of the bag. It also doesn't look very aerodynamic and I'd be afraid of blowing away. :P

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013 »

5. Just picked up some 65quid boots reduced to £19 at sports direct. Nothing special but hopefully no more blisters.

Also probably going to go with the vango tempest 200 as it looks like it could take a wack and the porch area would be good for the dog/gear.

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013 »

Hi,

Glad you are getting into this sport. As regards the dog, just to make you aware, local farmers are not too happy with dogs off or on leads. Reason being it is coming into the lambing season. Sheep, during this period, are usually frightened of dogs even those on a lead. Farmers have the right to shoot dogs if he feels the dog is scaring their sheep. (as far as I am aware).

Enjoy

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013 »

Yea figured it was probably the wrong season. If I do bring him I reckon we'll stick to forests.

Thanks for the advice.

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013 »

I always keep my pup on a retractable lead and attach it to my hip clip thing.  He gets to explore but doesn't give the Sheep any bother.

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013 »

Hip lead would be a good idea. Did you get it from Jolleys?

Would be interesting if he pulled at the wrong time, he's a big Siberian Husky so I'd be on my backside!

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013 »

Just a standard one from a pet shop, bout a tender. 

My beagle sometimes is bad enough pulling so I can only imaging what a husky would be like.  They were bred to pull!

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013 »

Tell me about it. We have two, the big lad isn't bad but the female would pull your arm off, thankfully we have ingenious harnesses that work wonders.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013 »

2. To get into the carpark I had to pay £4.50, which is fine, but are you allowed to leave your car there overnight? Might be nice to have the car behind locked gates after 5pm.
Done this a couple of times with my Da, if the guys are in the hut tell them that you are staying out over night, they normally put you up in the caravan park. The ranger's get 'twitchy' if a car is abandoned in the car park after dark, c'os they think someone has got lost/hurt walking around the forest (unless you leave a note in your dash board)

I think I'll take my dad and brother to that spot for a night. We have a three man tent though it is on the heavy side.
Three people with one tent is the perfect setup. Split the tent three ways, each person takes one bit.

If you are feeling energetic the next day, push on up the valley to the Pot of Legawherry, it's a cracking place.

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013 »

Thanks Chuck, will check it out.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]