Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Donard Wood Overnighter  (Read 3458 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Donard Wood Overnighter
« on: November 02, 2009 »

I had intended to go to Donard Wood for my first solo outing on Saturday but at the last minute a friend fancied a trip so I was glad of the company.

The plan was to do Commedagh followed by a few halloween beers round the fire and I wanted to bivvy for a change. I wasn't well on Sat and by the time I was on the way up the Glen river I was actually being sick so I elected to sort out camp in the forest while my mate went on ahead on his own (on the off chance that the family read this that passed by while I was having number 3s - sorry you had to see that!). Not being one to do things the easy way (sound familiar Michael?) he went up Shan Slieve and around the back of Commedagh and had a thoroughly enjoyable walk. The weather was fine and we sat round a roaring fire into the night and had a few beers and a bit'o craic.

We called it a day at 1am and at about 130am the weather went nuts - torrential rain and a shift in wind direction which was no worries for my mate in his nice cosy tent but for me under a tarp things got less comfortable. Because the weather had been so nice I hadn't bothered reconfiguring the tarp for sleeping in and it was just a straight A-frame which wasn't really suitable for the conditions. By that stage it was too wet to think about fixing it so I just stuck it out. With my new Alpkit Pipedream 600 and hunka bivvy bag I was actually ok and my pitch wasn't anywhere prone to flooding (luck rather than experience). Needless to say I didn't get any real sleep thinking I was going to get washed away and the PD 600 is so warm that it got very clammy inside the bivy bag.

When we got up the next morning the Glen River was really high and the path had pretty much disappeared so the walk back was good fun (and thoroughly wet!).

Nonetheless, it was a fantastic weekend and just a shame I missed the walk. I'm actually quite glad I didn't go solo as it being Halloween night and totally deserted with a full moon it would have been proper spooky  :o

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 by jonno »

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
Re: Donard Wood Overnighter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 »

Now isn't that the face of happiness and contentment!

Look's like you had a good wee set up at the wood and I'm sure the fire kept you pretty warm.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009 »

I think we need a winter run to donard wood!!
I still have to get a nights craic with u guys

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009 »

yeah I'm sorry I missed it too >:(
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009 »

yeah guys we need to get some camping done. we can't be fair weather campers.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]