Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NIBA winter overnighter  (Read 11151 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: NIBA winter overnighter
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009 »

Gimp Gear???, I'll bring the video camera!!

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009 »

No Probs neil, it is still on but we havent decided date yet. Chris as gary has so eloquently put, its probably not for you mate, as you said you dont believe in making life difficult for yourself and this would be difficult. I spent 5 days with nothing but knife, billy can and a metre of monofiliment on a 600 acre estate in cumbria last october. Believe me it was hard, but i enjoyed every minute. I like my comforts like the next guy/gal but this type of camping lets you know what you are made of.

We do this sort of thing to test ourselves. That's why we would use minimal kit for this type of event. Most people have no idea how much hard work it is building a shelter. It takes hours of back breaking labour to make a good one that will keep you warm and dry. Gathering food, fire wood, making improvements to the shelter, making water safe etc etc is a constant ongoing task. An event like this is probably not for the weekend hiker. You would definately need a possitive mental attitude. It probably isn't something that the armchair adventurer would enjoy as the reality is very different than what you see on the telly. We can become very complacent with all our modern gear, but how would we cope if we had a catastrofic failure of that gear in a wild place? To me, learning how to cope in a practicle sense is more important than just reading about how someone else did it in a book or watching it on TV.
I'm totally with you in not making life difficult for myself. I have some gear that I hate to be without, but I also want to have some experience of how to cope if I do end up without it. That's why, every once in a while, it's good to go without.
hmmm i wonder what would have put me off going?

Think i'll stick with my creature comforts. But I'll look forward to the trip report none the less. Will there be any picks or will I have to go look at the cave paintings ::)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009 »

Everything will be written down on Ogham sticks. LOL

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009 »

interesting,when are you thinking of doing this caper?

i spent an evening under a tarp a few years ago up the mournes,there was a little scattering of snow about too if i recall.
we set up just within the treeline but out of any wind and it was quite cosy with the log fire set up reflecting the heat .

as long as its not raining then i feel it would be really quite an easy exercise,though i am looking forward to seeing someone use a bowdrill.
can you bring your own kit or do you have to source the wood there?

another issue would be chopping or cutting down trees for shelter?is there somewhere you can do this without being crucified by park rangers???

just a suggestion, but might it be an idea to do a couple ,starting with as little kits as one feels he can get by with then reducing that next time with a view to seeing just how little he DOES actually need?

bear in mind too though , itll be easier when you know there are others close by in the same predicament,not so much fun when your alone in the woods in the dark .........................in gimp gear. :-*
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]