Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trip Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 61192 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Trip Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010 »

Do you have a canoe?

Nope, but I figured that was a fairly minor detail :D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010 »

Time to get one then. Canoe camping is a great laugh - you can get to some reasonably isolated places. Or at least as isolated as it's possible to be somewhere as small as Northern Ireland.

Do you have a canoe?

Nope, but I figured that was a fairly minor detail :D

tweeders

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010 »

i see someone mentioning the copeland islands.......if you don't fancy doing it by canoe, i have a 20' yacht which will do it easily and an inflatable tender to get from the yacht to the island when we get there.  i can take about 6 or so including myself if anyone fancies it?
plus if it get's too uncomfortable on the island i can always sleep on the boat.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010 »

That sounds pretty awesome. Where is your boat moored? I've never stayed on the Copelands, only picniced years ago - what are the rules for camping?

i see someone mentioning the copeland islands.......if you don't fancy doing it by canoe, i have a 20' yacht which will do it easily and an inflatable tender to get from the yacht to the island when we get there.  i can take about 6 or so including myself if anyone fancies it?
plus if it get's too uncomfortable on the island i can always sleep on the boat.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010 »

I'm still keen to get to the Copelands some time, be it by wind power or by paddle power :)

There is also a boat that runs day trips from Donaghadee harbour to the Copelands, but I'm not sure if they would operate as a taxi service if you wanted to do an overnighter.

Come to think of it, Kat's friend has a rib moored in Donaghadee.  Perhaps we could get a Bear style drop off and pick up the next day :D

tweeders

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010 »

hi J
my boat is moored in larne lough, so the Copelands  are well within reach, just knw that there's a stong tital rip there, which kicks up a steep chop in the right (or wrong ) conditions, but where's the hardship in that? lol
Ailsa Craig and rathlin are also possible for the more adventurous who don't mind a good few hours sailing. but where's the hardship in that? lol

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010 »

Sounds awesome. I've sailed out of Belfast Lough lots, mostly to the Inner Hebrides and lots and lots of drunken weekends in Portpatrick :)

hi J
my boat is moored in larne lough, so the Copelands  are well within reach, just knw that there's a stong tital rip there, which kicks up a steep chop in the right (or wrong ) conditions, but where's the hardship in that? lol
Ailsa Craig and rathlin are also possible for the more adventurous who don't mind a good few hours sailing. but where's the hardship in that? lol

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010 »

Yeah that does sound awesome!! i'd defn be up for that, a wild camp on a island, think it would have to be by boat though! maybe a bit exposed for canoe with no experience!!

Posted by: J  
Insert Quote
Sounds awesome. I've sailed out of Belfast Lough lots, mostly to the Inner Hebrides and lots and lots of drunken weekends in Portpatrick

Quote from: tweeders on April 27, 2010, 05:18:01 PM
hi J
my boat is moored in larne lough, so the Copelands  are well within reach, just knw that there's a stong tital rip there, which kicks up a steep chop in the right (or wrong ) conditions, but where's the hardship in that? lol

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 by andy1984 »

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010 »

One idea I had was, what about a trip, either day or overnighter to somewhere in the Sperrins?

I've never walked over that way and it would make a change from the mournes?

cruben

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010 »

The Copelands would be a great trip, I hav'nt paddled out there for years. Born in Donaghadee I know them well.
The sound can be fairly chalanging and conditions and tides can change quickly. Sea kayaks would be a safer and more reliable option
Paddling during neap tides and during slack water would be easiest time to cross, and a pleasure in good weatherThe current can throw up quite large standing waves in the middle of the channel when the tide is at max flow which can be great fun for the more experienced paddler but quite commiting as you could be up to a mile off shore.

darren

• Top Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011 »

any local members want to join me on a leisurely walk ;D from portadown to bewry.
it would start at the bridge at edenderry following the path all the way beside the bann until it reaches newry.
i expect to do it in under 4 hrs.

ive cycled to newcastle in 2 and a half hrs from portadown going through gilford banbridge,katesbridge.
now im challenging myself again.
once i get some equipment ill do this walk and then camp out as well.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011 »

i'll do this with you. all we need is a stove, sleeping bag and a bivvi. When do you want to do it? 
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

darren

• Top Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011 »

i'll do this with you. all we need is a stove, sleeping bag and a bivvi. When do you want to do it? 

if your not working i was thinking of a real early start.
but if we are camping out id start around 12 noon.

id do it tomorrow,saturday, if you are ok for that.

want to do some good hard mountain walking.

ill phone u later mate.

i could perhaps have a lend of your spare bivvy bag.
weather is to be good and dry for the next few days.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011 by darren »

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011 »

Darren if you could leave it till next weekend mate I'll def go with you. this weekend is out for me.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011 »

any local members want to join me on a leisurely walk ;D from portadown to bewry.

Fixed for you:

"any local members want to join me on a leisurely walk ;D from portadown to brewery"

Now you'll be inundated with offers ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]