Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Carrauntoohil, Beenkeragh and Mount Brandon (Co Kerry)  (Read 66451 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Did this expedition ever take place: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1075.0

I'm looking for a change of scenary and think a trip to Co Kerry is called for..!  It's bit of a drive just for an overnighter so I would like to make a weekend out of it.  There's three peaks just asking to be conquered, all of which are higher than Donard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountains#Ireland
Carrauntoohil (1,038 metres), highest mountain in the Republic of Ireland and the island as a whole.
Beenkeragh (1010 metres), Co. Kerry, second highest mountain in Ireland
Mount Brandon(952 metres), Co. Kerry, highest mountain on the Dingle peninsula
Lugnaquilla (925 metres) is the highest mountain in Leinster and the 13th highest Irish peak
Slieve Donard (850 metres), Co. Down, highest mountain in the province of Ulster and Northern Ireland
Mweelrea (814 metres), Co. Mayo, highest mountain in Connacht
Slieve Gullion (573 metres), Co.Armagh

I would like to take on Carrauntoohil, Beenkeragh and Mount Brandon some weekend before the end of August.

Let me know if this would be of interest to you and we can start organising another NI Wild Epic.  Okay, it's no Ben Nevis (1,344 m) in the snow, but would still be a bit of craic  8)

Definates
Dowser - Available Fri 20th - Mon 23rd inclusive
LennyJ1 - Available Fri 20th - Mon 23rd inclusive
MG1 - Available Sat 21st - Sun 22nd inclusive
Chris - Available Sat 21st - Sun 22nd inclusive
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

I would be up for this weekend of the 21st and 22nd is my ideal weekend.
No one goes inside to clear their head

666_pack

• Hero Poster

no not yet but me and MG1 were trying to get dates sorted, August would be a good month to give it a blast though
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

blokarter

Hi Dowser

We are heading to Kerry on 7th August.
Going to start in Castlegregory where we hope to do Brandon, and then on to Killarney area.

Going to be there for about 10 days.
If you are about in those dates I am sure we could meet up somewhere.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

any more thought on this?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I would be up for this weekend of the 21st and 22nd is my ideal weekend.

The weekend of the 21st and 22nd works well for me too.  Could anybody else interested in this trip confirm if this weekend is good for them and we can start making arrangements.

Kerry is quite a distance Approx 300 miles from Belfast (6/7 Hours Journey Time).  I would suggest travelling down on Friday 20th and finding a campsite to use for the first night so we can get up fresh and well prepared for completing the three summits. I will try and find a convenient campsite and get prices etc tonight.  If anybody has any local knowledge of Kerry (which I have none of what-so-ever) and can recommend a nearby campsite that would be great.  I am hoping to buy an OS Map of the area tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Transport wise, I have a Nissan X-Trail that will comfortably fit 4 with all their gear, or uncomfortably 5.  Depending on numbers we may need another volunteer to drive and we can all split the fuel costs.

Please register your interest in this trip as early as poss

Cheers

See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

Killarnie is not to bad I stayed there 4-5 years ago but can't for the life of me remember the campsite name.

I might be able to get my car if the wife lets me? ( I will get back to you on that one.)

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

Fossa Caravan And Camping Park in Killarney is the place I stayed.

blokarter

I use the printed guide of this website & the info is never far wrong.

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/kerry/kerry.html

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Fossa Caravan And Camping Park in Killarney is the place I stayed.

I just spoke to the owner of Fossa.  His name is Derry and he has cleared it for us (A group of lads as he called it) to stay at his site and that availablity should be no problem on our suggested date.  He did remind me that it was a family site so we have to be on our best behaviour!!!

Price is €10 per tent plus €6 per adult.  Showers take €1.

They are situated approx 7 miles from the base of Carrauntoohil, which would work well as we would only be using them for the first night, with wild camping the second night.  I will more than likely be bivviing the second night and just bring a tent for the first night which I will leave in the car.

If we are wanting to keep the cost down a bit then we could share a couple of tents for the first night i.e. 1 tent, three people €28, three tents three people €48.  

I have a decent size tent which would hold three comfortably, but we can go over the finer details closer to the time.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

no harm but I dont mind paying a little extra to have my own tent. 'Its not you it me'

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

I could be tempted by this  :o

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

I'd quite fancy this, but its the same weekend I'm off to Edinburgh.  Its on my list though so hopefully wont be too far behind you guys :)

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

What route are you thinking about?

Caher (Coomloughra) Route looks interesting on the ridge http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/caher_printable.html

Devil's Ladder Route looks more safer but not so exciting. http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/devils_ladder_printable.html

what do you think?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

What route are you thinking about?

Caher (Coomloughra) Route looks interesting on the ridge http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/caher_printable.html

Devil's Ladder Route looks more safer but not so exciting. http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/devils_ladder_printable.html

what do you think?

I've only just this minute got my hands on the Ordnance Survey of Ireland Maps.  To tackle Carrauntoohil and Beenkeragh we need Sheet 78 and for Mount Brandon it's Sheet 70 of the OSi Discovery Series.

Waterstone's in Belfast is doing "Buy one get one half price" on OS Maps right now.  Normally £8.25 each.

The links you posted above are great... and when I get a chance at lunchtime I'll have a good read of them.  At first glance it looks like careful planning will be called for.  It really isn't like taking a stroll up Donard :o

I always like bit of a challenge... I would like to try and do both routes if we can work it that way.  One route up, one route down.  It's just a matter of deciding in which order to do it and are we experienced enough to do it safely.  I really don't want to be the first person on NI Wild to be Air-lifted off a mountain.

I will definately be attending this event on the 9th: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1308.0 to brush up on my navigation skills.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]