Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: rucksack / bergen size do you carry  (Read 12557 times)

ranger rob

rucksack / bergen size do you carry
« on: March 12, 2014 »

what size and make/type of bergen/rucksack do you use for your trips. Looking advice got a few have packed re paced my kit everytime either to much space or not enough. sismple list below of my kit if see anything missing or not needed please advice.

Bergen 50lt molle system bag
two waterbottle pouch attached both 1lt with crusaider metal mugs

Inside
first aid kit
bits and bobs pouch
wash kit small towel in pouch
tarp
hammock
small gas bottle and stove
fire lighing kit
spare tshirt,socks,light trousers,boxers
food bag
bivi bag
waterproofs
map & compass
cloves
mora knife-spare locking knife
head tourch
homemade candle lantern (babyfood jar type)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: rucksack / bergen size do you carry
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014 »

I'll start by first saying it's an endless impossible question, simply due to folks methods and thoughts on things, but still always interesting to get different ideas from the way people do things.

It looks like you are using that pack as a camping/bushcraft tool and not a case of a hiking bag etc so I'll start there. Unless you are leaving out a fair amount of things it seems you have not much actual gear taking up lots of space. A 50lt bag is pretty bag and generally you should be able to use one happily for a full weekend or 3 days with no real problems, the fact it is molle equipped means you can cram on around another 5-8lt of space on the outside. Do you tend to get yourself really messy when you head outdoors? If not then try ditching the spare clothes. For me I tend to just take a spare set of socks, a set of base layer thermals and that's it. You don't really need all the extra clothes if it is just an overnight or long weekend.

Try swapping your towel for one of the various microfibre pack types. I use a sea to summit one and it fits in the palm of your hand. What general use do you have for your lantern? seems odd to carry to main light sources like a lantern and a head torch when one will do the job of both happily. Finally the two waterbottles, why two? if you are plain bushcraft style camping I will take a guess that you generally make sure you have a source of water nearby, if that is the case you can happily carry just one bottle and make an extra trip to refill it.

I have a molle 50lt pack with a couple of addition outer pouches I use for my relaxed camping and I have found that the only reason I can fill it is due to not having the budget right now for certain bits of kit that will cut down on my space, such as down bags, high end sleep mats etc. But for me a 50lt pack with outer pouches can easily do you for 3-4 days with no real discomfort or issues. I now use a method where at the end of a camping trip I look at what I did and didn't use. Some things such as medical supplies generally do not get used but they are still required. But often you find that extra knife, roll of cord etc has just sat in your bag for the past six months and never been looked at. If you didn't need it all those times try taking it out and see if you miss it.

Of course lots of that goes out of the window for other trips I make, for a days hiking I take a single section pack that weighs less and only has two small side pockets for things such as water or waterproofs. Generally I don't see any reason why anything else should need to be got at instantly so you can get away with less organisation for the sake of saving weight. If you are just walking around all day those extra grams add up.

Packs have evolved so much recently that I think it is now impossible to just get a good do everything bag as such you need to look at the activities you wish to do and then look at packs that fit the requirements for the activity. But in almost all cases I think one thing tends to hold true, that unless you are a group leader or rescue worker then the chances are you have too much with you. Spend more of higher quality gear but get less of it, your feet will love you for it and rarely will you regret not having those three spare hats.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014 »

here is a list of my usual kit, it varies depending on the accommodation, but its usually a tent for me. I also alternate between a multifuel stove, Trangia and gas.

If going a gas setup this is what I bring.
Trangia mini pot and pan

Contents

Lightweight overnight and early out I the morning I would be taking the following

Other threads which may be of interest are

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/gear-questions-information-reviews-and-competitions/so-whats-in-dowser's-ruck/

and

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/other/sample-camping-gear-list/msg16776/#msg16776

from you list I would probably omit the spare clothes and replace with something warm and dry to sleep in, a wash kit and towel

Inside
first aid kit
bits and bobs pouch
wash kit small towel in pouch
tarp
hammock
small gas bottle and stove
fire lighing kit
spare tshirt,socks,light trousers,boxers
food bag
bivi bag
waterproofs
map & compass
cloves
mora knife-spare locking knife
head tourch
homemade candle lantern (babyfood jar type)

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014 »

I usually pack one of two ways, the lighter setup is as follows:

Montane Medusa 32L Pack
(Review: http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/montane-medusa-32l-backpack-gear-review/)
Osprey 2L Hydration Pack
Water-to-Go Water Bottle
(Review:http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/water-to-go-water-filter-gear-review-2/)
Thinsulate Balaclava
Terra Nova Titan Bivvy
(Review:http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/review-terra-nova-titan-bivvy-bag/)
Thermarest Neoair xTherm Mattress
Alpkit Skyehigh 800 Sleeping Bag (in eVent compression drysack)
Generic inflatable pillow
Petzl Nao Headtorch
Small first aid kit
Primus powerlighter
Firesteel
MSR Reactor 1.7L
(Review:http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/msr-reactor-1-7l-gear-review/)
Can of MSR / Primus gas
Alpkit flatirons
Buck knife
Alpkit titanium cup
Handful of teabags

Food:
Option 1

Self made ready meal - Grilled Chicken / Salmon with brown rice and brocolli in boil-bag for MSR

Option 2

Wayfayrer meal (boil-in-bag)

Breakfast - Porridge pot

I rarely bother with a tent, but on those big lazy camps at hotel annalong I'll bring a bigger pack for all the munchies / beer I'm bringing. It's a 90L Osprey Xenith and I can cram all sorts of unnecessary crap in there.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014 by Aragorn »
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014 »

This is a tricky topic, it depends largely on how comfortable you are carrying weight and what sort of luxuries you like to have.

For camps with short walks I go with a Vango Contour 50+10, it's a nice bag that just about squeezes in all my gubbins but not big enough to get too heavy. For a more difficult trip I use an Osprey Mutant 38. It forces me to pack light and discard anything I don't really need.

By far the best plan is to get a bit of personal experience. Do a couple of easy overnighters and when you get home lay everything out that you took and note what you didn't use. I found initially that I was taking loads of stuff that I just never used and it only took a few trips to seriously scale back the load.

I've also found that I pretty much take the same stuff all year around now. Used to be I'd swap stuff in and out depending on the conditions / season but realistically I've settled on a setup that just seems to suit all conditions because even in high summer it can be seriously cold in the mountains.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014 »

I went through a bit of a phase of carrying all sorts of unnecessary gear and food.
Partly for the comfort and partly for the training aspect of a heavy pack (Commedagh via the saddle with a 25 kilo pack is an interesting challenge)

Steaks, frying pan, phone chargers, spare socks

Truth is I didn't need the half of it.

I think people tend to settle down into their needs over time in both pack size and gear used.

For things like rucksack / mat / sleeping bag / bivvy over time I've discarded / gave away the items which couldn't cut it and eventually found what suited me in each category.

Same with pack weight, over time you learn what you need and what you don't - it's very easy in the early days of camping to bring along everything but the kitchen sink!
Team Bivvy!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014 »

True. My first couple of trips I carried a spoon carving knife. Just in case you know, I fancied whittling a spoon. 5 years later I've still to use it.

I went through a bit of a phase of carrying all sorts of unnecessary gear and food.
Partly for the comfort and partly for the training aspect of a heavy pack (Commedagh via the saddle with a 25 kilo pack is an interesting challenge)

Steaks, frying pan, phone chargers, spare socks

Truth is I didn't need the half of it.

I think people tend to settle down into their needs over time in both pack size and gear used.

For things like rucksack / mat / sleeping bag / bivvy over time I've discarded / gave away the items which couldn't cut it and eventually found what suited me in each category.

Same with pack weight, over time you learn what you need and what you don't - it's very easy in the early days of camping to bring along everything but the kitchen sink!

ranger rob

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014 »

folks thank you for fast replies some great advice and took all onboard. I agree going to have to ditch some and learn by trying the rest why out on a trip

cheers very welcomed advice

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014 »

One thing I forgot to mention is the pack itself is very important. I have had a number of different ones over the years and a cheaper one, or at least one with flawed design and substandard construction will not carry the weight very well. High end packs may cost a small fortune but they can make that 20kg feel almost like 15kg due to correct distribution and placement of the weight around your body.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014 »

Agreed Rich.
I love the Xenith 88 - best pack I've ever owned.
Would barely know it was on you
Team Bivvy!

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014 »

If you are looking for a ultra lightweight rucksack - GoLite Jam 50 is fantastic. It will hold everything you need and can reduce its volume when required. Very clever!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l8gWX8O3MF0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.backpacker.com/may-2012-gear-review-golite-jam-50-backpack/gear/16629
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014 by polroger »
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

ranger rob

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014 »

again folks thank you great vid ... :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]