Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: camping with your dog?  (Read 13313 times)

spin

• Jr. Poster
Re: camping with your dog?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013 »

I wouldn't go camping without her even if its with friends As I love having her company and its nice bonding time .[/quote]

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. did that make anyone else have a happy moment in their day just by reading that bit of the post??? did it huh huh :) :) :) :) :)?? yip - thought so! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :-*

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013 »

but she did puke up in my car on the way there :-X all over the handbrake lol
this one made me laugh  ;D
think outside, no box required

ChuckMcB

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013 »

1. do they keep you awake all night growling at every bit of suspected wildlife that comes near?
My one did that a couple of times, sniffing the air and growling while something circled the tarp. Gave me the heebeegeebees

2. do they sleep with you in the tent or out in the porch? (i'd be worried mine would sneak out of the porch and go wandering)
In the bivvy bag with me, he's a wee dog so he fits in fine...tends to shiver during the night ....but he's a great hot-water bottle when he's not vibrating.

3. do they eat all your breakfast when your not looking?  ;D
Always!

4. do they make a right mess of all your gear coming in with muddy paws  >:(
I would always be concerned about them shaking themselves inside the tent...the ground sheet can be wiped down, the inner would just get stinking. Similar to clairebear's idea, I had thought about bringing along a pair of doggie pyjamas, to put him into before he gets in the tent, that way the muck's contained :)

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013 »

Had my husky with me on my wick night out on Bernagh. With a wet sleeping bag I was glad to have him in the tent with me for warmth. He was well behaved, except when I was trying to explain to him which food was his and which was mine.

I put the tent up in the garden a few days later to air it out, to get rid of the smell and a little hoovering to get some hairs out (annoying husky shedding).

Since it was windy and raining all night and we were in a very isolated spot - no wildlife came near, however early in the day when walking he nearly ripped my arm off when he spotted the sheep.

If I take him again it will be on an easy walk (no steep hills, leads make it difficult to keep balance) with good weather (so I won't feel bad leaving him out in the net porch area.).

Wildcol

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014 »

possibly resurrecting a long dead post but sure  8)

i dont tent, id be a tree hugger/hammocker and my dog, a lab x whippet hangs with me.
the setup is a simple tarp over the double decked DIY hammocks i made.

hammocks? yes! one for me, one for her.
havent been hanging too long but long enough to have learnt that 'The Ska' is better off in her own hammock (at least until she dries off).

as we are under a tarp just, she has full freedom to come and go as she pleases all night long, without me being hassled.

she doesnt bark or growl apart from at the postman.
she sleeps in her own hammock, suspended below mine, but i can lift it up to be level with me or if shes dry (check out packtowels!! unbelieveable things!) then im more than happy for her to jump up into mine.
food is stored in bags/rucksack which are hanging off the ground (everything hangs off teh ground)
no mess, as everything is off the ground, and she has her own hammock to mess up anyway :)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014 »

Are you not worried she might disappear off in the night?

possibly resurrecting a long dead post but sure  8)

i dont tent, id be a tree hugger/hammocker and my dog, a lab x whippet hangs with me.
the setup is a simple tarp over the double decked DIY hammocks i made.

hammocks? yes! one for me, one for her.
havent been hanging too long but long enough to have learnt that 'The Ska' is better off in her own hammock (at least until she dries off).

as we are under a tarp just, she has full freedom to come and go as she pleases all night long, without me being hassled.

she doesnt bark or growl apart from at the postman.
she sleeps in her own hammock, suspended below mine, but i can lift it up to be level with me or if shes dry (check out packtowels!! unbelieveable things!) then im more than happy for her to jump up into mine.
food is stored in bags/rucksack which are hanging off the ground (everything hangs off teh ground)
no mess, as everything is off the ground, and she has her own hammock to mess up anyway :)

Wildcol

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014 »

not really, she doesnt wander far and when she gets up i usually feel her getting out. she just potters about the camp site sniffing and checking out whatever it is dogs check out for no apparent reason  ;)

Revsi75

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014 »

Well for me... I'll be bringing my pup for the first time this weekend for a 2 nights & 2 day camp.

My pups a cross between a collie and husky so she has the fur for the cold but I'm still bringing a ground mat for her. She'll be sleeping in my banshee 300 with me.

Will post after the trip to let you all know how we get on.   ;D
What ever our wandering our happiness will always be found within a narrow compass, and in the middle of the objects more immediately within our reach.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]