Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSLR Recommendations  (Read 14105 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
DSLR Recommendations
« on: February 07, 2010 »

I'm going to treat myself to a DSLR but don't want anything too pricey. Am thinking of a Nikon D3000 which is about £400 or so and seems to review quite well.

Anyone any thoughts?

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: DSLR Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010 »

Thats the one I got and I'm chuffed to bits with it. so a def vote for it here! The kit lens does the job and I had a 50mm prime sitting around that I was able to use and I bought a 70-300mm on top of that.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010 »

Excellent. Where did you buy and how much did you have to pay?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 »

Thats the one I got and I'm chuffed to bits with it. so a def vote for it here! The kit lens does the job and I had a 50mm prime sitting around that I was able to use and I bought a 70-300mm on top of that.

Also do you know that Nikon are doing £30 cashback on a D3000 bought between Nov and Feb 15th. Seems like it applies.
http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/cashback/D3000.html

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 »

Believe it or not the lens is more important than the camera!

I've used Nikons for years and have changed cameras loads of times, but always use the same collection of lens.

If I was buying the D3000 I would spend some money on a good lens, you dont have to go overboard but the Ideal partner is the Nikon 18-200 VR, this will get you wide for landscapes but long enough for tight shots and some wildlife. The VR means Vibration reduction which helps keep your lens steady in low light resluting in less blurry images.  I use this lens in the summer for Riot work, so I can run like the hammers and dont have two cameras round my neck.

The other beauty about this lens is, you will never have to take it off the body, reducing the amount of dust on the sensor, (mine are bloody bogging)

K

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010 »

Will bear that in mind, but from what I can see the 18-200 is £500 which is outside my price range for both the body and lens :) Just at the start I'll take the 18-55 VR that comes bundled and once I'm up and running I'll consider upgrading. At the mo Jessops are doing the D3000+18-55VR lens for £379 plus Nikon are doing £30 cashback bringing it in at £349 which isn't bad.

Any recommendations for accessories? Most of my photography is outdoors so do I need a decent bag to protect and keep it dry (bearing in mind weight is a consideration)?

(Err, and wtf is riot work?)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010 »

Any Bags I use are by Lowepro, they have the best padding and waqterproof covers, In saying that the last two times I was up the mourneds, I wrpapped it in a plastic bag and thn round my down jacket and stuffed it in my pack,  ???

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010 »

Yeah j you've got untill the 10th buy it and your claim has to arrive by the 15th. There is a lot of focus put on getting a decent lens but for beginners like ourselves mate the 18-55mm kit lens is more than adequate! To be honest I think you should buy a decent tripod asap it opens up a whole new world of photograhy from 30sec exposres of the strars to better landscape shots.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010 »

Also (and this is something I wish I'd done!) you could check out ebay and get yourself self a good deal on a really decent body then get a second hand lens aswell. For the price of a D3000 you could end up with something cracker!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010 »

I considered that but for a first time buyer I didn't want to end up with something that was knackered. Once I've gotten used to this one I'll decide if I need something better. I'm no pro photographer - just want a slightly better photo than my crap compact takes.

Also (and this is something I wish I'd done!) you could check out ebay and get yourself self a good deal on a really decent body then get a second hand lens aswell. For the price of a D3000 you could end up with something cracker!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010 »

Keep an eye on http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/ as they sometimes have some good prices on used D-SLR's from both Nikon and Canon.  I haven’t bought from them personally, but a few of my photographer buddies have and always been very pleased.  It’s a good way to get second hand prices without the obvious risks of eBay etc.

That said... the price of D3000 is so low that its probably just better to buy one from new.  I bought my 50D from Calumet in Belfast on the Boucher Road.  Worth checking their prices if you want to buy local.  You can also buy online/collect in store with Calumet which is a good way of getting web prices without paying the postage charges.  For buying online I tend to use http://www.warehouseexpress.com.  Very good service and usually competitive prices.

I do agree with JT about buying good lenses... but I also have to agree with Chris.  When you are starting out the 18-55 is spot on as its more important taking the time to learn how the camera works.  It’s only when you are confident with the camera (and what you are pointing it at) that you will start getting obsessed with zooming in to 100% and moaning about chromatic aberrations, soft pixels etc.  For publishing to the web, printing up to A4 etc. the kit lens will produce some outstanding results.

I'd give another vote to Lowepro bags.  I've got a couple of them, and they've taken a fair bit of abuse with no issues.  For using with a rucksack I like to use the Lowepro Topload bag, which allows me to wear the strap bandolier style across my chest, with the waist belt of my rucksack through the belt loop of the camera bag.  This means the bag is always stable and doesn’t get in the way, but at the same time I can easily grab the camera from in front of me when I fancy grabbing a quick shot.  Was it Ulsterwalker I spotted at the Donard Wood trip using an OMM chest pack to store his D-SLR?  I thought that was a neat idea.

For tripods, check out the Gorilla Pod.  Could be the lightweight travellers answer to the tripod :)  Its on my shopping list!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010 »

Awesome advice guys. Just picked up the D3000. Now I just need to work out what all the damn settings mean..

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010 »

Awesome advice guys. Just picked up the D3000. Now I just need to work out what all the damn settings mean..

Lol nice. If I was you I'd get straight onto amazon and get a d3000 specific book. I played with mine for a few weeks on my own but I learnt more the day I got the book than those few weeks put together! also I wouldnt get into the habit of using the "pre set" settings especially auto. Stick it on aperture priority or shutter priority or preferably Manual. Just sit when your watching tv and shoot away, you'll soon learn what settings will be over exposed whats under exposed whats in focus what different iso's and white balances do. If you want to ask any specific about it I'll try and help ya.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010 »

So what book did you get?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-Expanded-Guide-Sparks/dp/1906672695/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265642044&sr=1-3

I found it very uselful. Its a small book (size wise!) so its easy to carry around. It'll get you started and explain a good few things, It also comes with a cut out white card which I use alot.

This guy Foound very useful aswell http://www.youtube.com/user/FontanaKnowledge#p/c/81112CA092D722FF

He may not be to your taste and can be a little "spacey" at times but I learnt a lot from watching his tutorials (13 in all) and would def recomend them!
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]