Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Making your own knife  (Read 45484 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: Making your own knife
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009 »

We used oil to quench it after the initial heat treatment, then water to quench it after tempering in the oven. It holds an edge very well.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009 »

nice one.

i ordered a few more lengths but this time in 3mm,and some stuff for Andys broadsword  ;D.

actually i had a real good conversation with the guy who supplies the steel.he has a lot of experience with steels and their edge keeping ability. he assured me that ANY woodsman type blade should be made from o1 referring to the workability,heat treatment and edge keeping qualities.

he gave me a tip though when it comes to oil quenching. make sure the whole blade is submersed fully so there is no oxygen round the blade ,hence no ignition after the dunk.

im hopeing to give it a go tomorrow.....lets see if i make it without loosing my eyebrows.

Paul

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009 »

Use am oil with a low flash point we used veg oil it did the trick well. Also make sure when you dunk it you do it point first and keep the blade straight otherwise it may bend the blade.

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009 »

Mate ...quench it in petrol...  you'll  be grand  ;D

Andy
Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009 »

petrol? how come everyone keeps telling me that ? either petrol ,ether,alcohol or aircraft fuel......

did a bit more shaping and buffing tonight ,too busy to heat treat em unfortunatly.and i have to say they look the business!

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009 »

so i did a bit of the ol HT on these blades and wasnt too hard at all i gotta say.perhaps i,ll post the pics of my little hairdryer powered forge in a bucket lol but for now have a peek at what ive done so far.

the handle scales arnt glued on yet and i havent done the secondry heat thingy to soften it slightly.i was just dicking about with some bits of flooring timber and got carried away lol.might order some liner material,the vulcanised stuff and sort it all out tomorrow. then again i might grind some of this 3mm stock i have now ive learnt all the things i shouldnt be doing lol.
theres an interesting effect on this particular blade , i think i might have over heated it then quenched it while it was almost starting to melt lol.actually i did melt one of the sharpened edges of one of them. oh well,you live and leard i guess.

i DID learn that its an easily achieved product that most people should be able to realise.
what do you think for a first time effort anyway?

ps,anyone got any leather? ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009 by pablo »

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009 »

Looking good Pablo.

Paul

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009 »

That's looks class mate, you are right it isn't as hard as some makers would have you think. Great first attempt so when will you be selling blanks??

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009 »

lol you want one? just let me know dude. i,ll probably be doing a lot more of this as a hobby and id say there will be a few `seconds` i could let go at the cost of the steel plus postage.

its very enjoyable to do and i,ll get it right eventually  :D

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009 »

Ha Ha, that's a dangerous offer Pablo.  I'll happily take one off your hands.
I see there's plenty of leather offcuts on ebay.

Brianlad

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009 »

A very dangerous offer indeed..... Im sure a few people like me would be more than happy to take them off your hands.
They look like a GREAT job esp. when they are your 1st efforts.

keep up the good work

B

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009 »

lol well i DID say seconds didnt i?

even if i considered passing a few on ? they would just be the blades and maybe hardwood scales.plus i wouldnt guarantee the grinds would be perfect.also the blades are definitly hardened as a file just wont mark them,but i have no idea about how hard.
to be honest youd be taking a chance and i couldnt very well do that from an ethical standpoint.

still,if anyones interested id need 35 quid each for the first two ,to cover the price of steel and sanding belts.the next ones will be more.

anyway lol i didnt do this as a money making exercise,i just wanted one for me and my kids.so if thats put you off then thats ok :P theres better to be gotten off the internet i guess.

ive made a couple in 3mm which is easier to work with and im getting the hang of this grinding lark.when i use up the rest of the steel i MIGHT buy some more...if i could be arsed  ;D

might even get round to a complete picture by picture walkthrough....watch this space.

still,it would give you something to whittle for yourself wouldnt it? ;D

Bernie Garland

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009 »

Heres a link you might find use full  :)

Bernie

http://www.ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=156

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009 »

lol well fuck me! i knew someone must have done it before.

nice set-up Bernie,though my workshop is about 5ft square ffs so i aint got room for one od those grinders. how much would i pay for one anyway?

glad to see someone lifting the lid on this knife making mystery too,aint rocket science when you have the kit is it?

how come your banned from british blades dude? lol just like me.were you giving secrets away or did you not bow down to the admins?

anyway,cool vids and got a few tips there too.cheers.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2009 »

oh yeah,i forgot to say...dont waste your money on my efforts lads,id buy one of Bernies after looking at his website.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]