Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Survival Night  (Read 16902 times)

Paul72

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Survival Night
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011 »

Then let's do it!  Who's going to organise it?
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011 »

Finding a night might be a prob with the Iplod upcoming. If we're going survival we'd want to do a Sat/Sun so we could be up there with enough time to prepare. Don't think we'd want to roll in at 7pm on a Friday night.

What about Saturday 4th June. I'm suggesting that date but I haven't actually checked if I'm free. I'll throw a post up later and see who bites. At least we can start discussing the rules etc.

Then let's do it!  Who's going to organise it?

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011 »

That day wouldn't suit me, can I suggest maybe a little later in the summer so everybody can make preparations and see when they're free?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011 »

Of course. I'll throw a post up later and everyone can just suggest dates. We can always do more than one, sounds like a night it would be fun to repeat as you refine your skills.

Maybe Oisin could let us know how they're organising their event so we had some ideas.

That day wouldn't suit me, can I suggest maybe a little later in the summer so everybody can make preparations and see when they're free?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 by RedLeader »

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011 »

Check you lot out. your gonna think your bear grylls soon
No one goes inside to clear their head

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011 »

The organizing wasn't as complex as you might think. We simply got together and suggested the items we should bring, and if the items were too luxurious we ruled them out. For example not alot of twine is allowed, no pillows etc. Just the basics.

Its less than a mile from out scout hall. So were walking there and setting up a tarp under a few trees. We're then being given a pot to cook smash in and we will be given a whole fish, which it is up to us to gut and cook etc. There isnt much more apart from that, just the general rules, no mobile phones etc.

And it was made clear that if were going that night and its raining, we cant change our dates. Because you cant choose when you have to survive!
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011 »

Wash your mouth out...it's Ray Mears all the way!!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011 »

Wash your mouth out...it's Ray Mears all the way!!

Nope the Bear rules
No one goes inside to clear their head

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011 »

I think if we were going to do it we'd consider allowing bivvy bags and sleeping bags as part of the basic kit. No point being too uncomfy when you're actually trying to sleep. We could probably have grades of kit depending on how serious people wanted to be, though I wouldn't want to be eating cold fish with my fingers while some buggers tucking into steak and pepper sauce with all the trimmings :)

The organizing wasn't as complex as you might think. We simply got together and suggested the items we should bring, and if the items were too luxurious we ruled them out. For example not alot of twine is allowed, no pillows etc. Just the basics.

Its less than a mile from out scout hall. So were walking there and setting up a tarp under a few trees. We're then being given a pot to cook smash in and we will be given a whole fish, which it is up to us to gut and cook etc. There isnt much more apart from that, just the general rules, no mobile phones etc.

And it was made clear that if were going that night and its raining, we cant change our dates. Because you cant choose when you have to survive!

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011 »

Bivvy bag, sleeping bag......I'm already sorted!  ;)

I think this could be a really good event

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011 »

It would be fun I must say. Its something that brings a change to the usual tent pitching.

I did something similar a few years back. We had a sheet of tarpaulin tied to a chestnut tree and then onto some other smaller saplings. And we just cleared the ground and lay in our sleeping bags.  You feel exposed but its a nice form of openness.   

And we didn't even notice until we had woken up the next mornining that we had been sleeping a meter away from a ducks nest all along. Woke up with baby ducklings wandering about. Great experience.   :D
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011 »

We bivvy like that all the time now, although we'd always be in a bivvy bag too incase of dampness. It's defo the best way to waken up, looking straight at the sky! Damn it, I really want to go bivvying now and I have an odd craving for a ribeye steak cooked on an open fire..

It would be fun I must say. Its something that brings a change to the usual tent pitching.

I did something similar a few years back. We had a sheet of tarpaulin tied to a chestnut tree and then onto some other smaller saplings. And we just cleared the ground and lay in our sleeping bags.  You feel exposed but its a nice form of openness.   

And we didn't even notice until we had woken up the next mornining that we had been sleeping a meter away from a ducks nest all along. Woke up with baby ducklings wandering about. Great experience.   :D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011 »

If Eamon comes he'll probably make us all look bad :)

I'd defo be up for this. Been itching to do a little survival/bushcraft since the last donard wood camp and watched Big E do his Char cloth.

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011 »

I'm looking forward to the food.  :D

That smokey open fire taste gets me every time.

spartan00117

• Top Poster
  • Ah well, shit happens
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011 »

Were do you guys buy your bivvy bags from lads.
"If it wasnt life threatening it would be hilarious" Ed Stafford
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]