Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Introduction to Bushcraft  (Read 7675 times)

Greyfox

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
Introduction to Bushcraft
« on: July 19, 2011 »

Hi Folks just to remind you all that the NIBA are running an Introduction to Bushcraft day on Sunday 7th August. This will take place in Carnfunnock country park in Larne start time is 10.00 am finish time is flexible but will be afternoon sometime between 2 and 4.30. The cost is £5 payable on booking through Carnfunnock on 028 2827 0541.   This course is limited to 10 people so early booking is advisable to avoid dissapointment!

GF
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Introduction to Bushcraft
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011 »

A big thank you to grey fox and the NIBA team at Carnfunnock today, really enjoyed the training, and more importantly, so did the scouts (who are now badgering us to buy decent knives  ;D ). An absolute bargain of a day for only a fiver. I can see a few evenings spent in Donard forest building shelters this summer, will avoid the fires though, not that i was any good at lighting them anyway  >:( i'll blame the ebay firesteel  ::)
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011 »

Sorry I missed this one again. Definitely doing the next one..

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 »

Yep, big thanks to everyone at NIBA!  The guys really put in loads of effort to make a great day, very much appreciated.  Can't believe how much we covered as well, glad I brought my notebook :)

For those who didn't make it but might be interested in the future I'd highly recommend it.  We covered shelter building, making fishing hooks, fire lighting and a wild food walk about the park.  Of course there was lots of other things thrown in, and I'm sure I've forgotten to mention one or two activities!  At some stage of the day I think we all had questions answered individually so you do tend to get quite a bit of one-to-one tuition as well.  As such I will be practicing away this week at my Evenk knot and honing my knife blade :)

Thanks again! 

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 »

Disappointed me and Oisin had to miss this one out as it sounded like a great day. We will defiantly be along again though as we really enjoyed the last one.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011 »

I think making the hooks was the highlight for me as I really like just sitting by the fire with a piece of wood and a knife working away!  It's nice to come away with a finished item as well.  Unfortunately I was too busy munching my Pot Noodle and missed most of the pine resin bit, but Kat got to finish hers.  The shelter building was also great fun, definitely learnt a few things from it that will hopefully help me avoid making the common mistakes if/when I give it a go :)

I think Flipmeb's dad should win an award for the most enthusiastic participant on the day.  Top man and just about the first to try out everything on the day :)

Greyfox

• Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011 »

Guys it's really great to hear how much people enjoyed the course. It makes it all worthwhile on our side and your comments are much appreciated. The day went well though as with everything when your having a good time, time seems to go too quickly! Thanks to Gary, Davy, Andy,Stuart and Alan for their hard work throughout the day making the course a success and thanks to all who travelled ( and in some cases quite a distance, Landy Liam and crew) to take part and for not complaining too much as I dribbled on and on about knife safety and wild plants!

Cheers guys!

GF
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011 »

Great pictures and, as paul as already said, it was a really fun day out for us as well. I'm glad that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

big chris

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011 »

When is the next one taking place, I just recieved my new Mora knife and a wee firesteel, darn firesteel is going to be done soon luvin the sparks lol

Bushbuddy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011 »

Seems to have been a great day, I didn't know there was a "Bushcraft" school in the country do they run many course's??

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011 »

Carnfunnock Park is celebrating Autumnfest on Saturday 24th September 2011, from 12 noon to 5pm. The Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association, will also be onsite to demonstrate wilderness survival skills.

http://goo.gl/GiKKM

Seems like this could be a fun day out.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011 »

I've just asked my daughter if she wanted to go to this, she asked if chuck was going, i said probably and then she said she'd like to go too

chuck you'd better go!!! she thinks you're great for finding her geocache  :D
think outside, no box required

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011 »

Carnfunnock Park is celebrating Autumnfest on Saturday 24th September 2011, from 12 noon to 5pm. The Northern Ireland Bushcraft Association, will also be onsite to demonstrate wilderness survival skills.

http://goo.gl/GiKKM
 ;D
Seems like this could be a fun day out.

I brought the wife and kids to this last year and had a really good day out and my boys loved the bushcraft the best , I even seen MG1 going round on the kids choo choo train with a big cheesy grin on his face  definatley recommend heading to it
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011 »

I'm hoping to make it along to Autumnfest this year, should be good fun!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]