Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: paddling exercise  (Read 7110 times)

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
paddling exercise
« on: January 15, 2015 »

Hi,

I have been bought a trip for the the big 40, i will be paddling from Fort William to Inverness over five days in a Canadian canoe. Each night we will be wild camping along the trail. this I am super stoked about and can not wait, I will be doing this in August so have a few months to get ready,

I only have a kayak up in Donegal so  wont get too much paddling done before , I was hoping someone can can give advice on exercises that I can do that will help my body get prepared for all the paddling ahead of me. I think maybe joining a group that paddles all year round would help so any advice is well appreciated. any advice also about Scotland that time of year would also help as i know I will be eaten alive by the midges,

cheers

andy
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Re: paddling exercise
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015 »

That sounds like a great trip, would love to do something like that. No advice though except bring a camera!

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015 »

That sounds like a great trip, would love to do something like that. No advice though except bring a camera!
well be bringing a camera for sure,

the guys are running another trip in September

http://www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk/product/canoe-bushcraft-expedition/

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015 »

This looks brilliant, I'm dead jealous. Have you paddled a Canadian before? You can do the turn up and paddle courses at Shaws Bridge with Mobile Team Adventure, they have Canadians as well as Kayaks and you could get plenty of practice. It's loads of fun too.

The one thing I found more than anything else was Canadians tend to be paddled from a kneeling position in the rear. The stress on the upper foot / lower shins was unbearable for me, apparently enthusiasts sit like that at home in front of the telly to get used to it.

This is the kneeling position (although this chap is demoing a kneeling seat but without the seat the principle is the same)

Also, Bill Mason is the undisputed king of both canoeing documentaries and popularizing Canadian Canoeing. All his books and DVDs are awesome and you can learn a lot before even getting into a canoe. The Path of the Paddle is especially good, you can see an excerpt here : https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_basic/. I could locate a copy if you wanted :)

If you do end up wanting to do some of the canoe hire type things in Northern Ireland as a taster and want a bit of company, let me know. Selling the Canadian was the worst mistake I ever made, Canadian canoeing was one the most fun outdoor things I ever did!

The chaps over a songofthepaddle would be full of advice.

Give me a shout if you want any info.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015 »

Hi J,

Thanks for all the info, I have my homework to do over the weekend now,

I have never paddled a Canadian so I have no idea what to expect but really liking the idea of hiring one and having a go. I would appreciate it if you would come along as the company and I could pick your brains for pointers and have a bit fun on the water. I will drop you a pm later on (work calling now)

if you do locate a copy of the video could you throw my way please.

thanks

andy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015 »

No probs at all. I'd welcome any chance to get a bit of canoeing in!

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015 »

Just fyi: If anyone is visiting Hamburg (germany) I will show you the city by canoe :D
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]