Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Using paddles with a tarp  (Read 8495 times)

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
Using paddles with a tarp
« on: June 07, 2009 »

I have been using my canoe paddles to hold up the edge of my tarp for a couple of years but its always been a hassle to fasten them and the end result looked untidy.

I thought I would have a go at making a couple of clips to make this quicker and easier.

Its just a length of 20mm webbing sewed to fit the paddle handle with a pop stud to fasten it and a tiny carabiner.

and the whole setup

These were much easier to make than I thought they would be and give me a lot more options when setting up my tarp either with the hammock or on its own
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Using paddles with a tarp
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 »

Great little set up up have there! nothin quite like sleping under a tarp

Well done that man
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009 »

Looks really well. I'd prob end up on the floor sleeping in a hammock :o
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 »

Have you got a design plan?

I would think your setup would be excellent and much appreciated on the SoTP forum for open canoes.

Looking at you pics seems quite easy. but not having done anything like this before I could use some help making 4 of these babies(have four paddles 2 kids and a wife plus hopefully two tarps soon) so would be useful for the odd canoe trip.

Hound   ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009 »

I would think your setup would be excellent and much appreciated on the SoTP forum for open canoes.

Looking at you pics seems quite easy. but not having done anything like this before I could use some help making 4 of these babies(have four paddles 2 kids and a wife plus hopefully two tarps soon) so would be useful for the odd canoe trip.

Hound   ;D

I always wondered whether a tarp on paddles would stay up if it was windy. I bought a set of reasonably light collapsible poles from ebay for about £5 that are excellent for tarps. Too heavy for walking but excellent for canoe camping.

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009 »

Hound   ;D

Sorry for the delay in replying, been away for a bit.

I posted some pics of these on SOTP just after I made them  ;D

Sorry, I don't have a design as such and I'm no good at drawing. The webbing came from B&Q and I just cut a few strips and wrapped them around the paddle handle until I had what I wanted. I used paper clips to hold it while I worked out the lengths and then I stapled them together to  hold them while I stitched them.

The pop studs I got on line ages ago, can't remember where. It only took about 15 mins to make each one and most of that was stitching.

You don't need the carabiners but they save having to thread the guy line through the loop.

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009 »

I always wondered whether a tarp on paddles would stay up if it was windy. I bought a set of reasonably light collapsible poles from ebay for about £5 that are excellent for tarps. Too heavy for walking but excellent for canoe camping.

I only tend to use  the paddles during the day or at night if it's very calm. If it's windy or rain threatens then the tarp is pegged down to the ground

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]