Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: N.I.B.A camp cookery dat in Febuary  (Read 8384 times)

Mouldsy

N.I.B.A camp cookery dat in Febuary
« on: May 18, 2009 »

A group of us from Up North got together and had a Cookery Day. Here's some pictures.

the scene that greeted us. Cold and Snowy

First thing we did was dig a pit oven, light a fire in it and stack more wood and stones on top, ready for a leg of lamb.

We covered the pit with hazel sticks, moss and earth to seal it all in.

We then got a stew of pheasent, carrot, potato and onion on the go.

We then put a chicken on to roast

And panassed a trout and put this over the fire as well.

By the time we had finished all this, it was time to open the pit oven

And then have the roasted lamb with Bannok.

Then it was pack up time and off home. A great day was had by all. the food was fantastic by the way, and no, no-one got ill, lol.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: N.I.B.A camp cookery dat in Febuary
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009 »

That looks like it was an excellent day - where was it? I'm sure that the warm food was tasted even better since it was obviously so cold out..

Mouldsy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009 »

It was at Cairnwood in Graigantlet, Everything was nice but the Lamb was out of this world, it was cooked to perfection in the pit oven.

ModBot

• Global Moderator
  • Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009 »

It was at Cairnwood in Graigantlet, Everything was nice but the Lamb was out of this world, it was cooked to perfection in the pit oven.

I thought Cairnwood was a no fires spot and small enough that if you lit a small one (safely and carefully!) you'd be bound to get spotted?

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009 »

We have a special permission. We also opperate a "leave no trace" policy. You wouldn't know we had even been there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

Mouldsy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009 »

I have special permission from the ranger for Cairn Wood and there is a no fire policy, and like Celt has mentiohed we operate a no trace policy, the ranger has seen this and is happy enough for me to be there, as it is he know's me personaly and would not tolerate this from any body else unless you can approach and let him see that you follow the same rule's as myself.
I phone him to let him know that I will be there and he might pop round for a brew when he's on his round's.
like I said he is approachable if you want to get permission from him.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009 »

I have special permission from the ranger for Cairn Wood and there is a no fire policy, and like Celt has mentiohed we operate a no trace policy, the ranger has seen this and is happy enough for me to be there, as it is he know's me personaly and would not tolerate this from any body else unless you can approach and let him see that you follow the same rule's as myself.
I phone him to let him know that I will be there and he might pop round for a brew when he's on his round's.

I'm happy enough to ride on the coat tails of someone else that has permission, I'm very new to bushcrraft and wouldn't really be experienced enough yet to persuade rangers that I was responsible :)

I can imagine that the Cairnwood Ranger has his work cut out what with all the Sunday nighters on the mess. I was up there over new year doing some Geocaching and there was a burnt out car in the car park...

Mouldsy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009 »

I'm happy enough to ride on the coat tails of someone else that has permission, I'm very new to bushcrraft and wouldn't really be experienced enough yet to persuade rangers that I was responsible :)

I can imagine that the Cairnwood Ranger has his work cut out what with all the Sunday nighters on the mess. I was up there over new year doing some Geocaching and there was a burnt out car in the car park...

That does not happen very often, but I know what you mean about the Sunday night club and the mess they leave.
If you want to get up there sometime let me know I would be happy to show you round the forest and what resource's it has to offer.
Davy.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009 »

Food with the added crap, nice one lads.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009 »

Mmmmm. I don't recall using crap as an ingredient.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009 »

I mean good outdoors food, you know whats in it, not like going to a take away and you dont know what you are getting. I seen bear gryills use moss as a steamer when he was on the west coast of ireland.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]